Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i was already thinking it but reading about the remedial math classes didn't help. not everyone is college material and there is no shame in that. people have different talents and skills in life. i don't know the whole story- maybe the OP was unmotivated in high school and has since changed/matured hence the remedial CC classes and taking so long to complete a bachelor's, but overall i'm not hopeful that someone who has to go that route really ought to be spending so much time and money on academic pursuits. its a shame we push everyone in the same direction.
If you can create a user account on City Data Forum without any help, you're smart enough to get a Bachelors degree in something from somewhere. In most majors from most places I would say.

Degrees are handed out way too easily IMO. At every level of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Get your degree. Regardless of your age. I went to college at an early age - did HS in three years - but because my mom was very ill, I left in my junior year.

Went back after I was married and on the way received a diploma in registered nursing. Graduated from college at 28.

Going back to complete my MA this year.

Life twists. You turn.

Too late? Look back in ten years and say that. - best of luck!

Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you can create a user account on City Data Forum without any help, you're smart enough to get a Bachelors degree in something from somewhere. In most majors from most places I would say.

Degrees are handed out way too easily IMO. At every level of the game.
I don't know about that. While I agree some undergrad degrees are easier than others, it still requires some effort.

A remedial class in math does not = too dumb to get a college degree. I am horrible at math and probably should have taken a remedial math class just to help with statistics. If the OP is willing to put in the time and effort and wants a college degree then s/he should go for it.

Besides we are living longer anyway and will have time to go back to school and change careers multiple times. The way it's going with social security unless you put a lot away in personal savings we will all be working until we drop dead. Might as well do something you want to do.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
This is something I struggle with. I have been in college since 2009 and I have a high GPA (over 3.7). I switched my major which cost me one year and then had to medically withdraw which set me back another year. So, I will be in college for almost six years and will be 23 when I graduate. Ouch.

However, I have no student loans and I am working in my field of study (I'm in Nursing school and work as a nurse's aide at two different hospitals). It does suck that I'm going to be 23 and have taken six years to graduate, but I guess it is better to be 23 WITH a Bachelor's than 23 and without a degree.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:39 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Hi All,

I am a Community College Student currently. My major is general science for right now. I just looked at my degree audit and it's going to take me 3 full years to finish my AS. The good news is, I have only 5 courses left to take. I am 20 years old. Do you think it's bad, finishing college with a Bachelors, at say 23/24 years old? I am just nervous that it may take me 5-6 years to finish my undergrad. :/ I know this is probably a stupid worry, but I'm just look for some reassurance I guess.

Should I even be in any rush? What age did you finish college at?
You can only do what you can do.

In general, it is financially better to start working sooner than later. When you shorten the amount of years you work, you are losing the last year's salary (the higher salary) - that is assuming you retire at the same age. So, it is better to start at 22 and retire and 65 than it is start at 25 and retire at 65 because starting at 25 you are losing earning years 38, 39, and 40, not earning years, 1, 2, and 3.

Also, it is better to pick a practical major and take longer than a more useless major and finish fast.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:43 PM

315 posts, read 563,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
This is something I struggle with. I have been in college since 2009 and I have a high GPA (over 3.7). I switched my major which cost me one year and then had to medically withdraw which set me back another year. So, I will be in college for almost six years and will be 23 when I graduate. Ouch.

However, I have no student loans and I am working in my field of study (I'm in Nursing school and work as a nurse's aide at two different hospitals). It does suck that I'm going to be 23 and have taken six years to graduate, but I guess it is better to be 23 WITH a Bachelor's than 23 and without a degree.
This is probably what I am looking to do to. I have virtually NO debt right now (using payment plans to pay off my CC tuition) and I would LOVE to keep it that way.

I guess sometimes life DOES get in the way. I agree with your last statement whole-heartedly

Thanks for the advice and wisdom all, I appreciate it

As for college degrees being handed out, I don't necessarily agree. College requires some effort and the "easier" majors like Basket Weaving still take some sort of EFFORT. They may have a lot less math and science but you still need to commit four years of your life to it.

I know no one directly said it but honestly, this post was not about me being "dumb" or struggling through college. I don't understand how taking two remedial math classes (every college has them, and LOTS of people take them - look it up if you don't believe) makes someone not fit enough to earn a college degree. I had a 3.6 GPA in high school, got accepted to almost every school I applied to (except one if I recall - my SATs weren't that great but I didn't want to go anyway), and now have a 3.5 GPA after taking many science/math classes. I pride myself in having some redeeming intelligence, especially when it comes to physical sciences as well as things like Biology. I am not the best math student, so? Lots of people struggle with it. I took a placement test my Senior Year and got placed in the remedial class because I didn't really care that much back then. But I was never dumb nor was I ever struggling through college. I am in the Honors Society as well as being on the deans list most of the semesters I've been there.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:47 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
This is probably what I am looking to do to. I have virtually NO debt right now (using payment plans to pay off my CC tuition) and I would LOVE to keep it that way.

I guess sometimes life DOES get in the way. I agree with your last statement whole-heartedly

Thanks for the advice and wisdom all, I appreciate it
That's how to look at it. It is more impressive to be 23/24 with a bachelor's degree and NO debt than to be 22 and have 30k+ in debt (and I know people who are in WAY deeper debt) because while many people graduate at 22, not too many graduate free from student loans.

Quote:
I know no one directly said it but honestly, this post was not about me being "dumb" or struggling through college. I don't understand how taking two remedial math classes (every college has them, and LOTS of people take them - look it up if you don't believe) makes someone not fit enough to earn a college degree. I had a 3.6 GPA in high school, got accepted to almost every school I applied to (except one if I recall - my SATs weren't that great but I didn't want to go anyway), and now have a 3.5 GPA after taking many science/math classes. I pride myself in having some redeeming intelligence, especially when it comes to physical sciences as well as things like Biology. I am not the best math student, so? Lots of people struggle with it. I took a placement test my Senior Year and got placed in the remedial class because I didn't really care that much back then. But I was never dumb nor was I ever struggling through college. I am in the Honors Society as well as being on the deans list most of the semesters I've been there.
If it makes you feel any better, I had to retake a class. My anxiety issues caused me to fail. I got an A second time around.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
When I was in college, I had a roommate in my dorm that was 23 and a sophomore. He just got a late start, but graduated with the rest of us. Nobody ever thought any differently about him.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

82 posts, read 267,903 times
I am 25 and hopefully will finish when im 27.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Hmm.

I agree that not everyone is college material. I do not, however, agree that needing to take remedial math classes is an indication that someone should not go to college.
I do not think so, not for an older student. How many of us can pass an algebra test years after high school? It's more a "use it or lose it" to me, and most of us don't work with algebraic equations in real life, so IMO it doesn't mean "not college material".

I was 28 when I started back to school with a GED. I started at community college, and failed the math basic skills test so had to take remedial. The first semester, I dropped out of the remedial course because I didn't have a professor who was able to explain it to me so I could understand it (I am more an English than math person), took it the next semester with a wonderful lady who held my hand throughout and got an A. I ended up graduating with a 3.98 GPA and received a several thousand dollar scholarship to a very competitive medical college, from which I graduated Magna *** Laude.

OP, I would be careful with online-only colleges. I know other people who went to accredited online schools and had much more trouble finding a job than those who went to brick and mortar schools or schools that used a combination of classes and online. In the employment forum, I have see posts from HR people where they said a resume that has online-only college degree goes right in the trash. Talk to people in your field first who hire people, and find out if they would consider a grad from that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities