Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,160 times

Advertisements

After reading about the pros and cons of Oregon's possible "Pay it Forward" plan (which I oppose, simply because 20+ of paying student loans is quite too long), I started thinking of other ways to fund higher education. Here in Georgia, we have something called the HOPE Scholarship that is funded by the Georgia Lottery for Education. The HOPE Scholarship covers tuition (now it only covers 90%).

Here's the way it works:
  • Graduate from high school with a 3.0 and maintain 3.0 throughout college
  • If your college GPA falls below a 3.0 after attempting 30 semester hours, you have once chance to regain it back (Bachelor's requires 120 credits - 30=freshman, 60=sophomore, 90=junior, 120=senior). Keyword is attempted hours, which includes if you withdraw from a class, too. You can only lose and regain it once.
  • If you didn't graduate high school with a 3.0, just apply for the HOPE Scholarship in college with a 3.0 after attempting 30, 60, 90, or 120 hours.
  • You will lose your HOPE payment if you've been convicted for committing certain felony offenses invovling marijuana, controlled substances, or dangerous drugs. If you're incarcerated, you lose it but are able to gain it back (assuming that you aren't a convicted felon).

Personally as a student, I love it. It works for me because HOPE pays for my tuition and being an RA pays for housing. All I have to worry about is eating, books, and entertainment money. Obviously, this works for GA, but I want to know your opinion on this program and if you think all the states could benefit from it.

More about the HOPE Scholarship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 AM

22,555 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Moot point for PA as our lottery money goes to senior citizen programs.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:10 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Florida has a similar program called Bright Futures.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
I like many aspects of the program but I see a few problems. First of all, it gives the colleges incentives to inflate grades. When their enrollment is tied to the number of students getting above a 3.0, a 'B-' becomes the new 'F'.

Second, it gives the students incentives to choose easy majors. Every university has a path of least resistance. Do you really want your top students to be avoiding the most challenging disciplines?

I can't imagine how the lottery produces enough revenue to fund this program. If it works, though, it is a massive redistribution of wealth from the foolish to the smart.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I like many aspects of the program but I see a few problems. First of all, it gives the colleges incentives to inflate grades. When their enrollment is tied to the number of students getting above a 3.0, a 'B-' becomes the new 'F'.

Second, it gives the students incentives to choose easy majors. Every university has a path of least resistance. Do you really want your top students to be avoiding the most challenging disciplines?

I can't imagine how the lottery produces enough revenue to fund this program. If it works, though, it is a massive redistribution of wealth from the foolish to the smart.
I don't think there is grade inflation. The grades that I've received are a direct reflection of the amount of time and effort that I put into my work. If I write a paper a few hours before it's due, I'll make a C (just as I deserve).

I don't really agree with the incentive to choose an easy major theory. Why not take advantage of the fact that someone else is paying the tuition? The top students from my high school (who chose in-state schools) go to the best schools (UGA, GA Institute of Technology, Emory, Kennesaw State, and GA State).

For the 2010-2011 school year, the HOPE Scholarship payout was $679 million with 238,489 recipients. Georgia also have a voluntary pre-k program that is funded by the lottery.

I also loved this line of yours: "...It is a massive redistribution of wealth from the foolish to the smart." I only play the lottery on my birthday. I've only won $10, but that's okay.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I don't think there is grade inflation. The grades that I've received are a direct reflection of the amount of time and effort that I put into my work. If I write a paper a few hours before it's due, I'll make a C (just as I deserve).

I don't really agree with the incentive to choose an easy major theory. Why not take advantage of the fact that someone else is paying the tuition? The top students from my high school (who chose in-state schools) go to the best schools (UGA, GA Institute of Technology, Emory, Kennesaw State, and GA State).

For the 2010-2011 school year, the HOPE Scholarship payout was $679 million with 238,489 recipients. Georgia also have a voluntary pre-k program that is funded by the lottery.

I also loved this line of yours: "...It is a massive redistribution of wealth from the foolish to the smart." I only play the lottery on my birthday. I've only won $10, but that's okay.
Your perspective might change if you taught at a university with merit based aid tied to GPA. Even if individual faculty resist grade inflation, advisers will steer students towards easier professors to increase retention. The net result is grade inflation. I have seen it at several universities where I have worked.

Maybe students will not necessarily choose 'easy' majors, but they will certainly avoid the harder ones such as chemical and electrical engineering, chemistry, physics, mathematics, and computer science. Again, I have seen it firsthand. A student gets a B- at the midterm in my chemistry class and the next day they are in my office with a withdrawal slip saying that they love the class but they can't risk their scholarship.

Again, I think the program is an excellent idea, and I would support it wholeheartedly despite its flaws. I just think some tweaks to avoid punishing students that challenge themselves would make it better, although possibly more complicated.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,739,581 times
Well I'll tell you what I DO like from what I read and what you posted. I like the fact that you can apply after you complete college credits.

I am a non-traditional student (41) and I am automatically excluded from many scholarships because they are limited to recent HS grads. I didn't graduate at all (got my GED in 1991) and started community college classes right after. Then I had a looooong (sixteen year) break!

So, something like this would be a welcome thing for me. Despite popular belief, there is not a "ton of money" for people who return to school later in life, nor is there a "ton of money" for single parents, blah blah blah. At least not here in Texas, unless they mean a "ton of loans" you can take out.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Well I'll tell you what I DO like from what I read and what you posted. I like the fact that you can apply after you complete college credits.

I am a non-traditional student (41) and I am automatically excluded from many scholarships because they are limited to recent HS grads. I didn't graduate at all (got my GED in 1991) and started community college classes right after. Then I had a looooong (sixteen year) break!

So, something like this would be a welcome thing for me. Despite popular belief, there is not a "ton of money" for people who return to school later in life, nor is there a "ton of money" for single parents, blah blah blah. At least not here in Texas, unless they mean a "ton of loans" you can take out.
Oh, I forgot to mention it only lasts 7 years after high school completion... So, not for you! But kudos to you for finishing school!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,282 times
I am a success story of the hope scholarship in Georgia. Like most freshmen I knew I lost my hope scholarship after my freshmen year. After seeing 2k a semester missing from my refund. I got my act together regained my hope between sophomore and senior year. I received my BS in Public Policy with a concentration in Planning in 4.5 years. Hope Scholarship is wonderful.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:40 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I am a success story of the hope scholarship in Georgia. Like most freshmen I knew I lost my hope scholarship after my freshmen year. After seeing 2k a semester missing from my refund. I got my act together regained my hope between sophomore and senior year. I received my BS in Public Policy with a concentration in Planning in 4.5 years. Hope Scholarship is wonderful.
Good for you! My middle son has been thisclose to getting it back, but it looks like that won't happen, as he is scheduled to graduate this year.

The HOPE in GA is a wonderful program. I have not seen signs of grade inflation, and honestly, it wouldn't matter much, as you must keep up the GPA requirements in college.

My youngest son aspired to the honor's program at his university, and made it, and has kept the Zell Miller (100% tuition, vs HOPE, which I believe is currently 90%)scholarship all four years. He has traveled the world on grants doing research. I buy lottery tickets in support of others that want to take advantage of what GA has to offer.

I always found it interesting that the public schools k-12 in GA are looked down upon, and yet our universities are highly regarded. Those same universities draw most of their applicants from the public schools in the state.

Our eldest received a similar state scholarship in FL with the Bright Futures. He ended up at UM though, so the money received was a drop in the bucket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities