Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM

24 posts, read 63,866 times

Advertisements

the city,

As someone who works in a Dean's Office at a college I would like to give you some advice. You need to call the Dean's Office immediately and explain the situation. I cannot say how their process works, each school has different processes, but some options they may give you is to contact the chair the department or ask you to file a grade appeal. Do whatever they tell you to move the process along.

You will not sound whiny as long as you keep it professional while explaining the situation and don't bad mouth the professor or say he is out to get me (blah, blah, blah), just come across as you understand it is an oversight. Also, do not wait until the semester starts again in the fall, do it now when staff are not as stressed and wonder why you waited so long, because they will wonder.

Hope this helps and keep me posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quick update:

After one month, the professor finally made the change. For all whoever get in this situation, it's good to be on their backs.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by the city; 07-18-2013 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
You are aware that even if you go straight to the Dean, this professor will be notified by the Dean or whoever formally handles grade appeals. Feel it or not, this professor will remain a part of this until it is resolved.

It sounds like you are the one with the vendetta, not your prof.

See the quote above, according to what you wrote the prof said he could access the system in ten days...not that he would change the grade in ten days. And since he said to remind him (but not to bug him!), my guess is that he knew he would be busy.

You are not his only student and you are not the only student sending him emails (more-than-likely). You are also not his only obligation. Relax and get in touch with him towards the end of the semester.
It doesn't seem he has the vendetta. He just feels slighted. Think of it this way, you get a B when you deserve an A by point totals (baring late policy issues) it affects your GPA (a measure that is less and less becoming a factor in most post-grad hiring.)

Glad to see the issue was fixed though.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Im considering grad school, so it is a bit importante.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
The quarter has been long over.

And his work email is his attorney email, not his professor email.

And he also noted in ten days when he can get in the system he said he would make the change.

Also, I have no vendetta. I don't like to be bullied. If I earned a grade, then I better get that grade.
Are you close the campus? If so, go in in person and see if he is in his office. If not, find out from the secretary when he will be. Then see him in person. OR go to the dean IN PERSON and simply explain that you don't know what to do because you can't get in touch with the professor. You will need the copies of the email where he said he made a mistake and agreed to change your grade.

If you cannot go in person, call the department and ask the secretary if he is in this summer at all and if she knows how you can get in touch with him. If not, call the dean and explain. Just be polite and factual and don't wait too long.

It is very unlikely it has anything to do with another teacher or his wife. We do have better things to do with our time than worry about who's late. You can't know what is going on in his life right now, and most likely he just hasn't gotten around to it, or perhaps did submit something and it never went through.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Quick update:

After one month, the professor finally made the change. For all whoever get in this situation, it's good to be on their backs.

Thanks all for the help.
Great to hear this was resolved correctly. Better late then never!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Great to hear this was resolved correctly. Better late then never!
Agreed! I've had too much to deal with. It sucks that you have to be on like employer's backs and professor's backs. It shocks me that these mistakes happen because it messes with people's lives. Especially since I am considering grad school possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities