Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,423,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Considering this list is from "participating colleges in 12 states", it is probable that there are far more colleges that take some (note emphasis) U of P credits. I don't think it's "stooping" to list CCs that take them. U of P is aggressive and pushes their stuff on lots of unsuspecting students, who then might decide to transfer to a CC after figuring out that U of P is way too expensive for what you get.
It does happen and someone on here claimed that community colleges won't even accept UoP credits. People drop out of for profits all the time and look for cheaper options. A CC or any college is not going to evaluate the credits of every college in the country. They are only going to evaluate credits when they have to: articulation agreements or when a student tries to transfer credits from a particular school. Seeing that so many colleges in only 12 states have equivalency charts for UoP credits demonstrates that UoP has made many agreements and/or many people have tried to transfer their credits and were generally successful. How that concept isn't understood by supposedly educated people baffles me.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:53 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,840,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The lack of reading comprehension skills here is astounding.

I posted this list because it was the easiest and quickest way to prove UoP credits transfer. I'm not going to call the thousands of colleges in this country. The people who say their credits aren't likely to transfer have absolutely NO PROOF. When you look at a school's transfer credit policy, most of them just say that the credits have to be regionally accredited. Rarely would you see a policy that says "no for profits" or "no online courses." Where did you attend school? I can assure you that there are several colleges on that site alone that do not have equivalency charts for your college. Does that mean your credits won't transfer?

By the way, someone on here several months ago claimed that UoP credits won't even transfer to community colleges.

This list was not posted by UoP. These are schools I pulled from a website that houses databases of equivalency charts.

People seem to be completely missing the point of this post. I would not recommend UoP with the exception of a few special cases because it's expensive, and it has a bad reputation. However, the people on this forum who constantly blurt out that some major for profit is unaccredited or that credits from a regionally accredited for profit won't transfer are just ignorant and spreading misinformation. It does no one any good to spread misinformation, and it's a negative reflection of the research skills one failed to develop at his/her "quality" college. Does it really take that long to look up a college's accreditation before you respond to someone's post? Where are people getting that UoP's credits aren't likely to transfer? Please show me some kind of proof because, otherwise, people are just making stuff up. My proof is in the policies of schools: most are open to accepting credits from any regionally accredited school.

Have none of you ever heard of polls and surveys? Do they question every person in the target population? No, because it's impossible. They take a sample.
Dude, the one who lacks comprehension is you. You just disproved your point and you fail to realize this. I am not the only one who thinks this way. Saying UoP credits never transfer is a massive generalization. The issue is they often dont. This list proves it. You list a very small sample of mostly unremarkable schools and community colleges that will accept UoP credits under some circumstances. Real accredited schools dont need to do this, it is assumed that they will automatically especially community colleges. The fact that you need to list community colleges that will accept UoP shows how bad its accreditation is.

I realize it was not your point to make UoP look bad but that is what you did. You proved that many schools wont take their credits by even making this list. I agree with you that the generalization that no school will EVER take their credits is untrue, but the problem is many schools wont, so the posters in this forum are not wrong. Also by accept credits that doesnt mean a school will accept every credit from UoP.

That list is full of fail.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Considering this list is from "participating colleges in 12 states", it is probable that there are far more colleges that take some (note emphasis) U of P credits. I don't think it's "stooping" to list CCs that take them. U of P is aggressive and pushes their stuff on lots of unsuspecting students, who then might decide to transfer to a CC after figuring out that U of P is way too expensive for what you get.
Pretty much this.

An art class at UoP would probably transfer over to many institutions as a general elective, a communication class too. However, I wouldnt trust UoP credits to transfer over for major course requirements and important classes like English and math. Heck, there are times when no UoP will transfer at all, even to CCs.

I dont think the argument against UoP is that the credits will NEVER transfer. Rather the argument is that it is very overpriced, the quality of education is bad, it is dubious whether or not the credits will transfer to even a CC much less a 4 year institution, and employers often dont take it seriously.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Dude, the one who lacks comprehension is you. You just disproved your point and you fail to realize this. I am not the only one who thinks this way. Saying UoP credits never transfer is a massive generalization. The issue is they often dont. This list proves it. You list a very small sample of mostly unremarkable schools and community colleges that will accept UoP credits under some circumstances. Real accredited schools dont need to do this, it is assumed that they will automatically especially community colleges. The fact that you need to list community colleges that will accept UoP shows how bad its accreditation is.

I realize it was not your point to make UoP look bad but that is what you did. You proved that many schools wont take their credits by even making this list. I agree with you that the generalization that no school will EVER take their credits is untrue, but the problem is many schools wont, so the posters in this forum are not wrong. Also by accept credits that doesnt mean a school will accept every credit from UoP.

That list is full of fail.
You aren't making any sense. Find a school that specifically won't accept UoP credits. This list is NOT comprehensive. Why is that so hard to understand? To say that they often don't transfer is a massive generalization. You obviously don't know what accreditation is. How is UoP's accreditation bad? It has the same regional accreditation as every other school in its region. If UoP's accreditation is bad, then Arizona State University's accreditation is bad.

The colleges on U.S. Select have equivalency charts for a wide array of colleges including top 100 colleges. They create equivalency charts whenever they have to evaluate credits from another school or when they make articulation agreements. It would help to actually go on the website, choose a college and see if they have an equivalency chart for a "real accredited college." That quote further proves that you don't understand what accreditation is. UoP is accredited by the North Central Association of the Higher Learning Commission. This organization is THE ONLY regional accreditor for the thousands of colleges in the middle of the country. When a college says that it accepts credits from a regionally accredited college, that includes UoP because UoP is regionally accredited. Institutional accreditation doesn't go any higher than regional accreditation. That is the gold standard.

It's really hard to take someone seriously when they don't even understand the basics of accreditation. That discredits just about anything else you have to say about education. Where is your proof that most colleges won't accept UoP credits? Most colleges SPECIFICALLY say that they will accept credits from regionally accredited colleges. That is my proof. The opposition has none.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Pretty much this.

An art class at UoP would probably transfer over to many institutions as a general elective, a communication class too. However, I wouldnt trust UoP credits to transfer over for major course requirements and important classes like English and math. Heck, there are times when no UoP will transfer at all, even to CCs.

I dont think the argument against UoP is that the credits will NEVER transfer. Rather the argument is that it is very overpriced, the quality of education is bad, it is dubious whether or not the credits will transfer to even a CC much less a 4 year institution, and employers often dont take it seriously.
Where is your proof? You have no proof. When I was looking at the equivalency charts, the evaluated credits that showed up the most were in accounting, business, and biology. Why do people insist on making stuff up?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM

It's astonishing that people who like to give advice on a Colleges and Universities forum don't know what accreditation is. There are six regional accrediting bodies. They are Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The North Central Association is the ONLY regional accreditor for Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. That means that all of the top colleges in those states have the same accreditation as UoP. If you want to see a list of the colleges accredited by NCA, then click on this link.
CHEA Database of Institutions Accredited By Recognized U.S. Accrediting Organizations

Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 AM

22,299 posts, read 47,253,896 times
Quote:
If you can't comprehend that the website only includes participating colleges from 12 states, then there is no help for you.
Where on earth do you get that?
I comprehend just fine, thanks!

It still is just a drop in the bucket (which is what I said)... even for those 12 states.

Too much of a UofP cheerleader...

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

It still is just a drop in the bucket (which is what I said)... even for those 12 states.

You still don't understand that the website doesn't have all of the colleges in those 12 states. It only has 2 colleges in Texas. Do you really think there are only two universities in Texas? I'm not a UoP cheerleader; I'm a cheerleader of facts. Whenever I see someone spew false information, I will say something. If someone said something I recognized as false about a politician I don't like, I will say something. My biggest pet peeve right now is ignorance. You basically said that any school not on that list does not accept UoP credits. That couldn't be more wrong.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Where is your proof? You have no proof. When I was looking at the equivalency charts, the evaluated credits that showed up the most were in accounting, business, and biology. Why do people insist on making stuff up?
I dont need proof I never made any claims. You just did make a claim. Where is your proof? You have no proof.

I dont care what a community college takes from UoP. Who would go to UoP to transfer it to a community college.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post

It is funny how defensive they are. Really nobody is taking them seriously and they are getting very mad. I actually think they were being productive making that list if they wanted to prove a point, but if that is all there is they failed miserably. They actually hurt my opinion of UoP. It wasnt very high to begin with, but I didnt know about CCs not taking their credit and people there making a big deal because a community college does take credit from them. They have gone from a 3 to a 1 based off of what the OP posted.

My guess is that the OP went to UoP and wants people to take it seriously. From the responses and his reaction I have a feeling things didnt go according to plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities