Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 01:31 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,410,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
You are the OP and you made the claim. Burden of proof is 100% on you. Not only that but the fact that you are trying so hard to get out of this just proves my point you have no proof. You cant prove your point so you want me to disprove it, but it doesnt work like that.

The issue is that it isnt so much there is a policy that schools wont take UoP credits. I doubt such a policy exist. What the issue is going to be is they might be able to get the credit transferred it is doubtful that many of them will. per your own admission UoP is low quality. A school wants a course to be of comparable quality before accepting it. Good luck doing that for a good school. I am sure UoP does have some good classes and good branches, but the reputation it has is inconsistent. One class at one branch may be good and other ones bad. Often schools wont even look this far and will just assume all the courses are not comparable. That is what posters are talking about when they say credits wont transfer, and this does happen to a lot of people.
This thread is in response to claims made over and over again on this forum. More specifically, it was in response to something someone said in a current thread, but I didn't want to throw the thread completely off topic. No one has ever provided any proof for those claims. Anyway, I already proved my point regardless if you can personally understand it. I mean, you don't even know much about accreditation. When a college tries to determine if a course is comparable, they look at the course course description and syllabus. They can't tell if the instructor was poor or that the classmates were nearly illiterate. Even high ranking colleges have their own problem professors. I already posted a few good schools that accept UoP credits: UCLA, University of Minnesota, etc.. I know of two more that aren't on the list: University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M.

If you can't find a policy against accepting UoP or for profit credits, then why make the claim? Where are you getting this information from? You're pulling it out of thin air.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,830,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is true of any transfer policy of any college. My daughter transferred from a private highly ranked university with grad school to a large state university. Her courses had to be evaluated, and eventually all but a few were accepted, and I think if she had really fought the good fight, they would have accepted those, too.
It definitely is true.

However, when you have a school with a bad reputation like UoP, and other for-profit schools, this becomes even more true. State schools transfer credit better among state schools. My wife went from WVU to UMD, and while UMD is considered a MUCH better school, they took most of her credits from WVU. However, had she tried to get into Georgetown I doubt they would have accepted much credit.

The issue with for-profit schools is that they are mainly comparable to other for-profit schools and non-profit schools might not consider them comparable at all. It is why it is not advised to go to UoP and transfer to a non-profit, because lots of people get no credit. In many cases you are better off going to a CC, especially if it is within the same state.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is true of any transfer policy of any college. My daughter transferred from a private highly ranked university with grad school to a large state university. Her courses had to be evaluated, and eventually all but a few were accepted, and I think if she had really fought the good fight, they would have accepted those, too.
I agree. Sometimes, a school will say they won't accept a certain course, and it ends up being accepted when the student challenges the decision. If a student can show that the course descriptions and syllabi are similar, the school doesn't have much of a case. The school really doesn't have a case if it flat out refuses to accept credits from a particular school based on opinion when there is no written policy that disqualifies the credits. Some states even provide an avenue for students to complain about rejections of credit through the state's education department. I know of some people who complained to a college's accreditor because a college didn't have a written policy to disqualify their transfer credits. They were successful in getting their credits transferred when the school couldn't prove its case.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is why it is not advised to go to UoP and transfer to a non-profit, because lots of people get no credit.
You just made another claim that you can't substantiate. Take DETC, for example. DETC is not a regional accrediting body which makes it more difficult to transfer credits than from an RA for profit. It specializes in accrediting distance learning schools. Most DETC schools are for profit. Guess what? Most DETC students were successful in transferring their credits. If people can transfer credits 70% of the time from DETC schools even though most schools state that they only accept RA credits, I think it's safe to assume that students from RA for profits are even more successful.

Quote:
The decision to accept or deny transfer credit rests with the receiving institution and is based on publicly state policies pertaining to quality, comparability, and applicability. Our 2006 survey of DETC graduates showed that of those who attempted to transfer credits and degrees, 70% were successful.
DETC

Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM

455 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Accreditation and reputation are two separate things. Accreditation is more like quality control for schools. If a school is RA it meets the minimum and acceptable quality control standards all RA schools have. Reputation is more of an intangible standard. Even annual school rankings shift. Schools can't use reputation as a basis for credit transfer policy. The general rule of thumb is RA schools accept other RA credits. Exceptions are if your going to a non-ABET program to a ABET program or another specific type of program.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
Accreditation and reputation are two separate things. Accreditation is more like quality control for schools. If a school is RA it meets the minimum and acceptable quality control standards all RA schools have. Reputation is more of an intangible standard. Even annual school rankings shift. Schools can't use reputation as a basis for credit transfer policy. The general rule of thumb is RA schools accept other RA credits. Exceptions are if your going to a non-ABET program to a ABET program or another specific type of program.
Even U.S. News admits that it can't rank some schools because they are non-traditional. George Washington University was punished by being unranked for a year for misreporting data. If a school really wanted to, it could create a policy that says it will not accept credits from for profits. If a college truly believes that the quality of all for profits is unacceptably low, someone should be able to find a written policy somewhere even if it just says they will consider for profits on a case by case basis. Even if one school can be found, I doubt anyone can find more than a half a dozen schools with this policy.
Update to George Washington University's 2013 Best Colleges Ranking - Morse Code: Inside the College Rankings (usnews.com)

GWU is not alone in misreporting data.
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...-data-rankings

Old 07-20-2013, 02:30 PM

455 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Even U.S. News admits that it can't rank some schools because they are non-traditional. George Washington University was punished by being unranked for a year for misreporting data. If a school really wanted to, it could create a policy that says it will not accept credits from for profits. If a college truly believes that the quality of all for profits is unacceptably low, someone should be able to find a written policy somewhere even if it just says they will consider for profits on a case by case basis. Even if one school can be found, I doubt anyone can find more than a half a dozen schools with this policy.
Update to George Washington University's 2013 Best Colleges Ranking - Morse Code: Inside the College Rankings (usnews.com)

Five colleges misreported data to U.S. News, raising concerns about rankings, reputation - Washington Post
If reputation was a factor then they would say only top XX (insert number here) university transfer credits accepted. I've never seen that and I'm sure no one else has either. It all boils down to accreditation. Is it a RA school or not.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,691,324 times
Quote:

Five colleges misreported data to U.S. News, raising concerns about rankings, reputation - Washington Post
What are you doing your PHD in?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
What are you doing your PHD in?
I don't know why it's relevant to that quote, but it will be in criminal justice. I would have preferred to study political science or international relations, but it's hard to beat a $26k stipend in an area with a low cost of living. I didn't want to go through a PhD program eating Top Ramen noodles.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,830,615 times
Quote:
You just made another claim that you can't substantiate. Take DETC, for example. DETC is not a regional accrediting body which makes it more difficult to transfer credits than from an RA for profit. It specializes in accrediting distance learning schools. Most DETC schools are for profit. Guess what? Most DETC students were successful in transferring their credits. If people can transfer credits 70% of the time from DETC schools even though most schools state that they only accept RA credits, I think it's safe to assume that students from RA for profits are even more successful.

DETC
Yes, I can your list shows that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.