U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM

4,773 posts, read 3,790,352 times
Default Which Colleges Accept University of Phoenix Credits?

Since people have a propensity to claim that credits from University of Phoenix or other regionally accredited for-profits arenít likely to transfer, I decided to make this post. These are all of the schools at this website that have created a transfer credit equivalency chart for University of Phoenix.

https://www.transfer.org/uselect/login.htm

Usually, credits are only evaluated from a school outside of an articulation agreement when a student tries to transfer them in. I might have missed some because I was looking for University of Phoenix, and I noticed toward the end that some of the schools had it listed as Phoenix, University of. This website only has the equivalency charts of participating colleges in 12 states. There were technical issues with the search functions of a few schools (mostly in Indiana), so I couldnít conduct a search on them. I only searched for equivalency charts for UoP in Arizona and came up with a ton of schools that accept UoP credits.

University of Minnesota Twin Cities
University of California Los Angeles
Colorado Mesa University
Colorado State University
University of Colorado Boulder
College of DuPage
DePaul University
Illinois State University
Loyola University
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
University of Illinois Springfield (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Northcentral University which has no campus and is for-profit)
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Western Illinois University
Indiana State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Indiana University Bloomington
Ivy Tech Community College
Purdue University North Central
Purdue University Calumet
Purdue University West Lafayette
University of Massachusetts Boston
Alexandria Technical and Community College
Anoka Technical College
Anoka-Ramsey Community College
Bemidji State University
Century College
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
Inver Hills Community College
Itasca Community College
Lake Superior College
Metropolitan State University
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
Minnesota State University Moorhead
Normandale Community College
Northwest Technical College
Rainy River Community College
Ridgewater College
Riverland Community College
Rochester Community and Technical College
Saint Paul College
Southwest Minnesota State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
St. Cloud State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
St. Catherine University
University of Minnesota Crookston (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Winona State University
University of Missouri Saint Louis (no equivalency chart for UoP, but Western International University which is for-profit and owned by the same company as UoP)
Ashland University
Baldwin-Wallace College
James A. Rhodes State College
Lourdes University
Marion Technical College
Miami University
Ohio Northern University
Sinclair Community College
University of Akron
University of Toledo
Youngstown State University
Zane State College (no chart for UoP, but one for Argosy and Devry which are for-profits)
Northeastern State University
Oregon Institute of Technology
Southern Oregon University
Western Oregon University
University of Texas Dallas
University of Wisconsin River Falls

Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,723,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Since people have a propensity to claim that credits from University of Phoenix or other regionally accredited for-profits arenít likely to transfer, I decided to make this post. These are all of the schools at this website that have created a transfer credit equivalency chart for University of Phoenix.

https://www.transfer.org/uselect/login.htm

Usually, credits are only evaluated from a school outside of an articulation agreement when a student tries to transfer them in. I might have missed some because I was looking for University of Phoenix, and I noticed toward the end that some of the schools had it listed as Phoenix, University of. This website only has the equivalency charts of participating colleges in 12 states. There were technical issues with the search functions of a few schools (mostly in Indiana), so I couldnít conduct a search on them. I only searched for equivalency charts for UoP in Arizona and came up with a ton of schools that accept UoP credits.

University of Minnesota Twin Cities
University of California Los Angeles
Colorado Mesa University
Colorado State University
University of Colorado Boulder
College of DuPage
DePaul University
Illinois State University
Loyola University
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
University of Illinois Springfield (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Northcentral University which has no campus and is for-profit)
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Western Illinois University
Indiana State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Indiana University Bloomington
Ivy Tech Community College
Purdue University North Central
Purdue University Calumet
Purdue University West Lafayette
University of Massachusetts Boston
Alexandria Technical and Community College
Anoka Technical College
Anoka-Ramsey Community College
Bemidji State University
Century College
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
Inver Hills Community College
Itasca Community College
Lake Superior College
Metropolitan State University
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
Minnesota State University Moorhead
Normandale Community College
Northwest Technical College
Rainy River Community College
Ridgewater College
Riverland Community College
Rochester Community and Technical College
Saint Paul College
Southwest Minnesota State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
St. Cloud State University (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
St. Catherine University
University of Minnesota Crookston (no equivalency chart for UoP, but one for Grand Canyon University which is for-profit and offers many online degrees)
Winona State University
University of Missouri Saint Louis (no equivalency chart for UoP, but Western International University which is for-profit and owned by the same company as UoP)
Ashland University
Baldwin-Wallace College
James A. Rhodes State College
Lourdes University
Marion Technical College
Miami University
Ohio Northern University
Sinclair Community College
University of Akron
University of Toledo
Youngstown State University
Zane State College (no chart for UoP, but one for Argosy and Devry which are for-profits)
Northeastern State University
Oregon Institute of Technology
Southern Oregon University
Western Oregon University
University of Texas Dallas
University of Wisconsin River Falls
That is all?

Also they list community colleges? Really community colleges dont accept credit from a 4 year university?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
That is all?

Also they list community colleges? Really community colleges dont accept credit from a 4 year university?
If you read the post, you would see that U.S. Select only has participating colleges in 12 states. There were only a handful of colleges for some states, so the list isn't comprehensive. For example, U.S. Select only has the equivalency databases for two Texas universities: University of North Texas and University of Texas at Dallas. However, Texas A&M has a database on its website that lists accepted credits from University of Phoenix. Also, many of the colleges only posted equivalency charts for colleges within their respective states or bordering states. It doesn't mean that they don't accept credits from other schools. And, just because a college isn't on U.S. Select does not mean it doesn't accept UoP or other college's credits. I know of other schools that accept UoP credits, but aren't on U.S. Select. Considering that a college will most likely only create an equivalency chart when a student tries to transfer credits from a particular school, this list is pretty long. This is just a small sampling of colleges that accept UoP credits.

As for your second question, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or if you accidentally put a question mark at the end. Community colleges accept credits from 4-year colleges.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 AM

341 posts, read 279,828 times
UoP is a RA school. All RA schools general accept other RA credits. Some schools have agreements with other specific schools but transfers aren't limited to those specific schools either. This doesn't mean a whole bunch of liberal arts credits will transfer into a IT degree at another Uni and fulfill the degree requirements. But they would view them as legit credits they just might all be electives. University level 100 and 200 courses could be transferred to a CC. I could easily see a situation were this could happen.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:38 AM

6,352 posts, read 3,723,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you read the post, you would see that U.S. Select only has participating colleges in 12 states. There were only a handful of colleges for some states, so the list isn't comprehensive. For example, U.S. Select only has the equivalency databases for two Texas universities: University of North Texas and University of Texas at Dallas. However, Texas A&M has a database on its website that lists accepted credits from University of Phoenix. Also, many of the colleges only posted equivalency charts for colleges within their respective states or bordering states. It doesn't mean that they don't accept credits from other schools. And, just because a college isn't on U.S. Select does not mean it doesn't accept UoP or other college's credits. I know of other schools that accept UoP credits, but aren't on U.S. Select. Considering that a college will most likely only create an equivalency chart when a student tries to transfer credits from a particular school, this list is pretty long. This is just a small sampling of colleges that accept UoP credits.

As for your second question, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or if you accidentally put a question mark at the end. Community colleges accept credits from 4-year colleges.
First off it was sarcastic, and secondly the list is not helpful. There are thousands of colleges in the US alone. So having a small list of schools that will accept credits from UoP, and many of them being community colleges, isnt really helpful.

Im not trying to put down UoP. I really dont know much about them but am aware of their bad rep. Personally I would stay away from for profit schools, but I am not going to say they give a bad education because I just dont know.

However, that list doesnt really make a strong point one way or the other.

Also I believe for profit colleges can vary greatly based on region. So a for profit chain in one area might get credit from an institution while another chain in a different area might not.

To elaborate on the question mark again it was sarcastic because one a 2 year school should accept pretty much all relevant credits from a 4 year school. So lets say you do english at a 4 year institution and quit your senior year. There shouldnt be a question that you would start at a community college as close to being finished as an english major. I can understand if you took english and start taking accounting at a 2-year that you shouldnt get accounting credit but all of your electives and classes you took should transfer. I mean the community college wont just give you a degree even if you did all the credits at a 4 year, they would probably want you to take atleast a few classes, but a school shouldnt have to point that out. Also why would you pay for an expensive 4 year institution to transfer to a cheaper 2 year college?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 AM

10,629 posts, read 12,084,729 times
That list is laughable, as that is just a drop in the bucket. There are thousands of colleges in the US and the vast majority - going by that list - will NOT accept the credit.

And I agree with the poster above... all community colleges should accept all pertinent credits for a 4 year school.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 16,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That list is laughable, as that is just a drop in the bucket. There are thousands of colleges in the US and the vast majority - going by that list - will NOT accept the credit.
It doesn't mean that. This list isn't comprehensive, it's just drawn from schools that participate in a particular program.

Phoenix is expensive and unremarkable, and it offers no programs that can't be done for less money at better regarded schools. But that doesn't mean it's a mill or that its credits don't transfer.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM

10,687 posts, read 8,601,831 times
If you are going to transfer, why not just begin at a community college? Less expensive and always accredited.

LA credits almost always transfer.

It says something about UofP that they need to stoop to posting CCs that accept their credits when they are a four year college.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM

The lack of reading comprehension skills here is astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
First off it was sarcastic, and secondly the list is not helpful. There are thousands of colleges in the US alone. So having a small list of schools that will accept credits from UoP, and many of them being community colleges, isnt really helpful.

Im not trying to put down UoP. I really dont know much about them but am aware of their bad rep. Personally I would stay away from for profit schools, but I am not going to say they give a bad education because I just dont know.

However, that list doesnt really make a strong point one way or the other.

Also I believe for profit colleges can vary greatly based on region. So a for profit chain in one area might get credit from an institution while another chain in a different area might not.

To elaborate on the question mark again it was sarcastic because one a 2 year school should accept pretty much all relevant credits from a 4 year school. So lets say you do english at a 4 year institution and quit your senior year. There shouldnt be a question that you would start at a community college as close to being finished as an english major. I can understand if you took english and start taking accounting at a 2-year that you shouldnt get accounting credit but all of your electives and classes you took should transfer. I mean the community college wont just give you a degree even if you did all the credits at a 4 year, they would probably want you to take atleast a few classes, but a school shouldnt have to point that out. Also why would you pay for an expensive 4 year institution to transfer to a cheaper 2 year college?
I posted this list because it was the easiest and quickest way to prove UoP credits transfer. I'm not going to call the thousands of colleges in this country. The people who say their credits aren't likely to transfer have absolutely NO PROOF. When you look at a school's transfer credit policy, most of them just say that the credits have to be regionally accredited. Rarely would you see a policy that says "no for profits" or "no online courses." Where did you attend school? I can assure you that there are several colleges on that site alone that do not have equivalency charts for your college. Does that mean your credits won't transfer?

By the way, someone on here several months ago claimed that UoP credits won't even transfer to community colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you are going to transfer, why not just begin at a community college? Less expensive and always accredited.

LA credits almost always transfer.

It says something about UofP that they need to stoop to posting CCs that accept their credits when they are a four year college.
This list was not posted by UoP. These are schools I pulled from a website that houses databases of equivalency charts.

People seem to be completely missing the point of this post. I would not recommend UoP with the exception of a few special cases because it's expensive, and it has a bad reputation. However, the people on this forum who constantly blurt out that some major for profit is unaccredited or that credits from a regionally accredited for profit won't transfer are just ignorant and spreading misinformation. It does no one any good to spread misinformation, and it's a negative reflection of the research skills one failed to develop at his/her "quality" college. Does it really take that long to look up a college's accreditation before you respond to someone's post? Where are people getting that UoP's credits aren't likely to transfer? Please show me some kind of proof because, otherwise, people are just making stuff up. My proof is in the policies of schools: most are open to accepting credits from any regionally accredited school.

Have none of you ever heard of polls and surveys? Do they question every person in the target population? No, because it's impossible. They take a sample.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:10 AM

68,252 posts, read 56,586,563 times
Considering this list is from "participating colleges in 12 states", it is probable that there are far more colleges that take some (note emphasis) U of P credits. I don't think it's "stooping" to list CCs that take them. U of P is aggressive and pushes their stuff on lots of unsuspecting students, who then might decide to transfer to a CC after figuring out that U of P is way too expensive for what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities