Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,379 times

Advertisements

For a while I have been interested in pursuing a degree within the med field, but after doing a bit of research I have become a bit skeptical of weather to do so due to how draining it can be. I really would like to pursue a degree within the Med field mostly because I would like to touch and help lives. My mom suggested going into a shorter career path and eventually determining if I would like to continue my studies further in the Medical Field. I will be transferring some credits into a suny, where I will be starting my first semester and I eventually look into going to a much more renown University that would look well on my resume and educational background. I don't know how possible that would be, based on the fact I wasn't the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's. Since graduating I have become more of a overachiever and hard worker in my studies. I would love to have the opportunity to go to Ivy's or even an amazing Med oriented school within the States. But what are the steps I would have to take? Insight! Insight!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom4life View Post
For a while I have been interested in pursuing a degree within the med field, but after doing a bit of research I have become a bit skeptical of weather to do so due to how draining it can be. I really would like to pursue a degree within the Med field mostly because I would like to touch and help lives. My mom suggested going into a shorter career path and eventually determining if I would like to continue my studies further in the Medical Field. I will be transferring some credits into a suny, where I will be starting my first semester and I eventually look into going to a much more renown University that would look well on my resume and educational background. I don't know how possible that would be, based on the fact I wasn't the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's. Since graduating I have become more of a overachiever and hard worker in my studies. I would love to have the opportunity to go to Ivy's or even an amazing Med oriented school within the States. But what are the steps I would have to take? Insight! Insight!
Thanks
What SUNY would you be attending? There are some very good programs and colleges/universities within the SUNY system.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Agreed - At this point a lot will be determined by the quality of the SUNY, the programs you choose (and their quality) and how well you do with them. Also, what else are you doing while in college to help set yourself apart?

Now isn't the time to look back and worry about HS GPA or SAT scores - that is behind you. About the only thing to take forward are lessons on what you could have done better.

It's definitely possible to move from a SUNY to other programs - there are some exceptional schools in NYS as well that would have an understanding or relationship with some of the SUNY programs

Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Thanks
You are NOT going to get accepted into any of the Ivys with your current grammar and spelling, particularly since you weren't "the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's". Just sayin'. I think you would have trouble getting into any of the SUNY universities (Albany, Binghamtom, Buffalo, Stony Brook) and possibly some of the more selective SUNY colleges with your academic record. That's reality.

Furthermore, "the med field" is very broad. Here are some choices (and certainly not all of them):
  • You can go to a SUNY community college and get a nursing degree in 2 years -- if you get accepted -- that practically guarantees you a job. The community college where I work has had a 100% placement rate for its nursing grads for several years now.
  • You can also go to a community college to get a medical technology or OTA degree that qualifies you to work in a doctor's or hospital office or work in rehab facilities.
  • You can get an associate's degree in biology or biochemistry and be medical lab tech. You can also get a bachelor's degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, chemistry or premed and become a physician's assistant, a pharmacist, a physical/occupational therapist etc.
  • You can also pursue a bachelor's degree in physical education and become an athletic trainer.
  • You can also pursue a psychology/sociology degree and become a counselor.
Since you don't know exactly what you want to do, I would suggest that you go to your local SUNY community college and major in biology/biological or health sciences. Many community colleges have agreements (articulation agreements) with four year schools where many of their grads transfer to accept all their grads' transfer credits if the students earn at least specified grades. You should check with the counseling center at your college about this.

If you are going to go to the expense of attending a four year SUNY college from your freshman year, then you should plan on doing your entire bachelor's program there. You may very well lose credits (and $$$) in transferring. Again, major in biology or biological or health sciences. What really looks good on your resume is taking and passing the right courses to give you the right skill set(s) employers are seeking; getting an internship and doing well in it; and doing projects that demonstrate your knowledge and skills.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What SUNY would you be attending? There are some very good programs and colleges/universities within the SUNY system.
Empire state college

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Agreed - At this point a lot will be determined by the quality of the SUNY, the programs you choose (and their quality) and how well you do with them. Also, what else are you doing while in college to help set yourself apart?

Now isn't the time to look back and worry about HS GPA or SAT scores - that is behind you. About the only thing to take forward are lessons on what you could have done better.

It's definitely possible to move from a SUNY to other programs - there are some exceptional schools in NYS as well that would have an understanding or relationship with some of the SUNY programs
Empire State College is not a typical Campus, but I do look into learning another language on the side. Possibly joining a club(if I do have time) and to do volunteer service on the side, which I always do anyways. Excelling in my classes is a must as well!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-30-2013 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: fixed html

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You are NOT going to get accepted into any of the Ivys with your current grammar and spelling, particularly since you weren't "the greatest student in High school and didn't do that well on my SAT's". Just sayin'. I think you would have trouble getting into any of the SUNY universities (Albany, Binghamtom, Buffalo, Stony Brook) and possibly some of the more selective SUNY colleges with your academic record. That's reality.

Furthermore, "the med field" is very broad. Here are some choices (and certainly not all of them):
  • You can go to a SUNY community college and get a nursing degree in 2 years -- if you get accepted -- that practically guarantees you a job. The community college where I work has had a 100% placement rate for its nursing grads for several years now.
  • You can also go to a community college to get a medical technology or OTA degree that qualifies you to work in a doctor's or hospital office or work in rehab facilities.
  • You can get an associate's degree in biology or biochemistry and be medical lab tech. You can also get a bachelor's degree in biological sciences, biochemistry, chemistry or premed and become a physician's assistant, a pharmacist, a physical/occupational therapist etc.
  • You can also pursue a bachelor's degree in physical education and become an athletic trainer.
  • You can also pursue a psychology/sociology degree and become a counselor.
Since you don't know exactly what you want to do, I would suggest that you go to your local SUNY community college and major in biology/biological or health sciences. Many community colleges have agreements (articulation agreements) with four year schools where many of their grads transfer to accept all their grads' transfer credits if the students earn at least specified grades. You should check with the counseling center at your college about this.

If you are going to go to the expense of attending a four year SUNY college from your freshman year, then you should plan on doing your entire bachelor's program there. You may very well lose credits (and $$$) in transferring. Again, major in biology or biological or health sciences. What really looks good on your resume is taking and passing the right courses to give you the right skill set(s) employers are seeking; getting an internship and doing well in it; and doing projects that demonstrate your knowledge and skills.
I will actually be starting a 4 yr college right away so it's not a CC. I also have friends who are not native English speakers that got into these AMAZING 4 year colleges that you mention here without any issues but I will have to look into how transferable these credits are, that's for sure.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
I will actually be starting a 4 yr college right away so it's not a CC. I also have friends who are not native English speakers that got into these AMAZING 4 year colleges that you mention here without any issues but I will have to look into how transferable these credits are, that's for sure.
What Linda said and the problem isn't "getting in". The problem will be completing an undergraduate degree with a GPA >2.0

Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 AM

101 posts, read 173,721 times
Default Question from an admissions counselor...is this rude?

Wrong place. Nevermind.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:20 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
The Empire State College is a great way for people who are working full time or who live a distance away from any colleges and don't want to/can't live away from home to get a degree. However, since you are going to need biology and biochemistry as well as other sciences for entry into the medical field, you are going to have to take your science classes with labs at a physical college rather than on-line. ESC has agreements with colleges in NYS to do that. I'm not sure if it has agreements with colleges in other states.

ESC is well known and recognized, and its credits are generally transferable. However, most colleges will only accept transfer credits in classes in which you get a C or better. Furthermore, many colleges are reluctant to transfer in credits in your major that you didn't get at least a B in. Be sure that ESC offers a degree in the field that you wish to pursue because a college cannot give you a BS in Genetic Engineering if it's not authorized to confer that degree.

You also have to have a certain number of credits "in residence" at a college in order to get a degree from there, which is a means to prevent students from taking most of their course work at a cheaper public college and then transferring into a more expensive private college in their last semester and graduating from the more expensive school.

Generally, you will need a minimum of 2.0 GPA to graduate. Some graduate schools, particularly selective ones, may not consider applicants who have less than a 3.0 and a specified minimum score on a graduate admissions exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities