Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 AM

304 posts, read 1,019,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I think there needs to be some clarification about what non-profit/academia research is as opposed to industry research. In academia/non-profit, it's exactly as it sounds - not for profit. In academia/non-profits, you receive grants to fund that research. This is where a lot of ground-level basic science research is being done. It is not always an affiliate/satellite/associate of a university (although many unis are doing their own awesome research). In Industry-based research, the end result is often a product (ie pharma, consumer goods). These are more internally funded.

As for scientific research often being suggested as a field for introverts, I really don't know why that is. You'll be in contact w/ research staff, collaborators, sponsors, subjects/patients (if doing human subjects research), and even in some cases media if your research is considered interesting enough. I also don't think it's a field where you can 'be in your own world'. You constantly need to be up on the latest findings/other research endeavours of your peers.

KM_W&M06 - I totally know what you mean about having to give way advance notice when taking time off. A lot of times, labs are so small, you're basically the only one "running the show". Even when my PI would give me those days, I still felt guilty for not being there! I guess I meant more flexibility in terms of the actual research that's being conducted. Being in academia/non-profit, I think, gives you a little more freedom and control over your own studies.

ETA - maybe this should be moved to the work & employment forum?
Ah, good explanation on the freedom/flexibility of "running the show"...I tried to rep you again but I need to spread some around first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Your biggest problem is having no publications. Most people come out of an MA/MS with at least a thesis, and often a couple of publications. Writing is definitely an important qualification for think-tank positions, especially academic writing.
Otherwise, you are reasonably well suited for pursuing an entry level research analyst position. Just realize that it is not going to pay very much at all and you could make double or more in private industry.
This is true (bolded). Your graduate faculty advisor should have told you that grad students are expected to publish an article or two, and present a paper at a conference in your field. Possibly the demographic maps you produced for an employer could substitute for publications, to an extent.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
As for scientific research often being suggested as a field for introverts, I really don't know why that is. You'll be in contact w/ research staff, collaborators, sponsors, subjects/patients (if doing human subjects research), and even in some cases media if your research is considered interesting enough. I also don't think it's a field where you can 'be in your own world'. You constantly need to be up on the latest findings/other research endeavours of your peers.
It is assumed that some of the most famous scientists in history were introverts or had social anxiety based on the information we have on their lives. Almost every job is going to require some human contact, but some are better than others for introverts. I'm an introvert myself. I've seen this a lot with almost every job that is recommended for introverts, someone says, "No, you have to be in contact with this person and that person." If introverts listened to these people, they wouldn't ever attempt or accomplish anything. I'm starting a PhD program with the hopes of one day becoming a professor. I've done some work in education in the past and enjoyed it. I'm sure people who aren't introverts and know little about them would tell me that education would be a horrible choice for an introvert.

Famous Introverted People: Henry Cavendish | LonerWolf
List of some famous Introverts | THE INTROVERTED BLOG
Famous introverts - USATODAY.com Photos

Old 07-29-2013, 12:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
So yea, a few things:

1) I can deal with people, but no more than 20% of the time is face time.
2) I am looking for entry level research and want to know IF I am qualified or not.
-And if so, what positions make sense.

Thus far in my search (1.5 months) I am not getting hits, though in part maybe it is due to it being summer.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:46 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I am seeking work in academia, non-profit, think tank as an entry level research assistant/associate in demography, polling, geography, or urban/transportation planning.

I have an MA in Geography with a GIS certificate. I have two internships, one with a town planner, another making demographic maps at a University Library. I briefly was at the USGS.

GIS is a secondary skill (15% of the job) my best skill is studying, researching, data mining, analysis in descriptive statistics.
I do not have any publications or advanced stats beyond Calculus I.

1) Do I have the qualifications to work in such organizations?
2) If not, what skills do I need, how can I get there?
3) I have AS and need to work in a flexible, learning environment. Does it make sense to find some kind of work withing these organizations even if not as a researcher and try taking additional coursework to get to where I need?
4) If so, what kind of jobs would be a fit for an Aspie (need flexibility, routine, rhythm, little people contact).

Thanks.
Most think tanks begin at the PhD level. Even at that level, there aren't that many think tanks around and everyone would like to work for one.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
For an entry-level position, they're not going to assume you know everything, however you'll be expected to have a pretty solid understanding of how to accomplish the job requirements...

Being in academia/non-profit, as opposed to industry, will definitely give you more flexibility. Another plus, your PI is more likely to include you as a coauthor (providing you actually do the work). As for routine and rhythm... something ALWAYS pops up in any field of research. With experience though, you learn how to deal with those bumps. Little people contact... ehhh... most likely you'll be dealing with a bunch of people... PIs, post-docs, sponsors, etc. Though you may not have day to day interaction with them.

A warning though you probably already know this... research positions in academia/non-profits - especially entry-level - for the most part, don't have the best job stability. You're relying on grants and, unless you're lucky enough to work for a giant in your field with $$$ coming in, you could be cut at any minute.

What this poster said. If it's what you want, go for it.
Maybe not a think tank.

And you might want to begin working towards your PhD if this is your goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities