Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,154,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You aren't even quoting the right post.
I quoted your words that said $100K is common for people to make with an UG degree nationally 5 years out of college. Nationally means average wages across the country. Therefore I quoted averages. You changed your tune midstream in an attempt to make it fit your original text. Are you now saying that you live in a high COL state? Every-so-often, it's o.k. to say you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
See what? above?

You posted an unsupported opinion, still waiting to see a single fact to back it up...

Good luck with that by the way, there is no data to support your position
There is never any data. Just personal examples.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Exactly my point--100K is not an unreasonable expectation in many areas of the country....how far that 100K goes, however, is what matters . Here a married couple or a couple with young children could do ok on 100K, not fancy living but not a dive either. Starter houses that need work start in the $250K range so it's possible to buy a home on that salary.

Nurses here start in the 50-60K range for a BSN in the hospital. After 5-6 years or so, they can expect to be in the 80-90K range. Teachers start in the 45-55K range and with a master's degree plus 5-6 years will be in the 80K range. Other jobs go up from there.

It's hard to imagine if you live in an area where most people make minimum wage or slightly higher that there are many, many parts of this country that pay better wages .
So now you've gone from nationally with your 100k claim to your area after the median wage data showed your claim to be be way off.

The OP is talking about college in Texas which has maybe one higher cost if living area making the national median data very relevant.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I guess this thread has turned into yet another case of taking out of stats what you want out of them. Sadly that is common for people to do, especially on C-D.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 PM

653 posts, read 816,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Nor should it change. If you want to be let out of your debt you can give back your degree.
I would happily give back my degree

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,707,618 times
MoveOn Petitions - Congress: Pass Comprehensive Student Debt Reform NOW!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 AM

Not really buying this. The majority of people who can't pay their loans either didn't graduate or don't have a good income. That money would be better spent on job creation measures.

Comprehensive student loan reform would free up hundreds of millions of dollars currently being used to service debt, to be spent on ailing sectors of the economy, providing a real jump-start to economic growth and prosperity. Such reforms would put the American Dream back in reach for millions of Americans, unleashing a new era of entrepreneurship, investment and innovation for all. The question is not whether we can afford to make such reforms, but whether we can afford not to.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 18,691 times
Read an interesting related article about not going to grad school. Why I Won’t Be Going to Grad School |

"Let me get this straight: I’m going to work as a journalist, which I’m already doing for very little compensation, but instead, I’m going to pay Columbia $50,000 a year with no promise of work post-graduation? That’s a legit scam. I might add that journalists are lucky these days to even earn $50,000 a year, let alone spend it on a superfluous degree that might make you contacts."

However grad school is different than undergrad, because our society is becoming so degree-focused that almost everyone who's not in skilled trade is recommended to go to undergrad.

I would recommend community college. It'll be affordable, educational and he can still work. When he graduates jobs will admire that he has work experience and a degree, and he won't be brought down with debt. The "traditional college experience" results in a harsh reality for a lot of people when they graduate with debt and no work experience, and have difficulty finding work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities