Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:55 AM

9 posts, read 10,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
not sure if this is a violation of some rules on here, but if you want to learn c++, then i suggest to OP to visit

cplusplus.com - The C++ Resources Network they have bunch of stuff on learning how to program in c++ and if you want a free, legal to use c++ software, then you can pm me and ill show you one.

note even when it comes to programming the software you use will vary. java you have a bunch of programs to code in, such as texpad, visual,etc.
Actually, I highly recommend c#. It's easier for beginners to pick up and there are more people using it, ergo you can more easily get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Whatever your degree you will be faced with with stiff competition from people with PHd's in computer engineering or computer science from Asia. I programmed for a college and had a safe job. My brother is an embedded systems engineer and is fairly safe. Companies can hire a PHd in Asia for what an associate degree earns hear. There is jobs forecast book published annually if things have not changed called "What Color is Your Parachute?" That might be well worth a quick read before deciding on any career. Also I think most colleges give what is known as a Siggy test that is an aptitude test to see what one should excel at. HTH

Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I know several people with great jobs in programming... and they are all computer engineers, bachelors degrees.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisnow View Post
Actually, I highly recommend c#. It's easier for beginners to pick up and there are more people using it, ergo you can more easily get help.
really? perhaps in your area lol. all is ppl who know c++ and python and good at it, get jobs quickly.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know several people with great jobs in programming... and they are all computer engineers, bachelors degrees.
Me, too.

IT is one of those fields where you can get great jobs with just a BS. I think the field has more to do with experience and problem solving than what you wrote for your dissertation.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
really? perhaps in your area lol. all is ppl who know c++ and python and good at it, get jobs quickly.
I meant if further down the line he wants to get a professional job in programming then c++ is definitely the language to know and be intimate with. All my apps nowadays are written in xaml/c++. I just think it's more powerful.

But the guy doesn't know any programming language yet. We're encouraging him to learn a language on his own for now, remember? The fact of the matter is the industry has been transitioning toward c# for a few years now. It's become quite popular among young programmers precisely for the fact that it's not so picky with the syntax and it's way easier to learn than c++.

In fact, MS seems to be pushing for c# nowadays with their modern UI (metro) development. If you browse around their examples and help sections, you will find that 50% of the time when you click on an example code for c++ the field will display "code for this language is currently not available" while for c# you will never see this statement. There are always examples for c#. This is annoying the hell out of me, because I like c++ better and think the syntax flows a lot more fluid... but that's just me.

Knowing python is also a plus, you're right about that.

Added by edit.

I just realized something. Without any training from someone who knows programming, I'm not sure the OP can pick it up on his own. Something as simple as understanding arrays could be a huge setback for someone that hasn't any experience in it.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I meant if further down the line he wants to get a professional job in programming then c++ is definitely the language to know and be intimate with. All my apps nowadays are written in xaml/c++. I just think it's more powerful.

But the guy doesn't know any programming language yet. We're encouraging him to learn a language on his own for now, remember? The fact of the matter is the industry has been transitioning toward c# for a few years now. It's become quite popular among young programmers precisely for the fact that it's not so picky with the syntax and it's way easier to learn than c++.

In fact, MS seems to be pushing for c# nowadays with their modern UI (metro) development. If you browse around their examples and help sections, you will find that 50% of the time when you click on an example code for c++ the field will display "code for this language is currently not available" while for c# you will never see this statement. There are always examples for c#. This is annoying the hell out of me, because I like c++ better and think the syntax flows a lot more fluid... but that's just me.

Knowing python is also a plus, you're right about that.

Added by edit.

I just realized something. Without any training from someone who knows programming, I'm not sure the OP can pick it up on his own. Something as simple as understanding arrays could be a huge setback for someone that hasn't any experience in it.
i don't think arrays are that bad, its the class with arrays that makes my head go "WTH". i think if he learns java first, then transitioning to c in general will be easier. i know it helped me, since i had a C-/D in java, but got a B+ in c++ mostly due to i got the fundamentals of programming somewhat down better the 2nd time around in c++ lol

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

No offense to the OP, but i don't think he's going to like a major in programming once he's gone through most classes.

This is why i said get a major in Information sciences, one which allows you to choose a path: Database, network or programming. you'll get a taste of each path and then you can choose which you want to do. i found those who enjoy doing the coding are ones who naturally are interested/gifted in doing so.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Thanks everyone. I want to get information from the horse's mouth.

So from people who are in the industry what would you suggest for the "new guy" in the field? What can you learn from the internet and what will you learn from a college degree?

What should I start to learn now...online?

If you had to go back and tell yourself what to do differently...what would it be?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
There are several things I would like to point out.

You are what I would describe as someone that knows a little bit of everything. In a way, this is a good thing. But in a bigger way, it's actually a negative. Why? Because our society/economy has evolved into specialty. Back in the 15th century, knowing a little bit of everything would make you king of the land. But nowadays, it will get you nowhere. It is better for you to choose something and focus just on that. We live in the age of specialty.

Having said that, it is never too late for you to start specializing in something. You are in the same situation as my boyfriend. At age 24, he's going back to college and I am determined to push him all the way through.

I'm 30 and have been down 3 career paths. I graduated with a BS in physics engineering. Went into law enforcement and became a peace officer. Several years after that and after a series of events (not pleasant), I decided to change career and quit. Got a job in software development. Worked in the industry for a few years. Almost went insane working in the office environment as a developer. Don't get me wrong, I love programming. I just spent 12 hours straight in this weekend working on an app that I hope I can publish next week sometime. But working for myself as a programmer and working in a corporate environment are 2 completely different things. I learned that the hard way.

In fact, a friend of mine that I met in the industry recently had a mental breakdown. His company, the one I used to work for, decided to layoff half the programmers in that office while keeping all the projects alive. He was working all the time, day, night, weekends. I talked to his girlfriend and she told me he would be locked in his home office for days at a time. He finally had a breakdown and gave a resignation letter to his boss. It was more scribble than a formal letter. His boss told him to take a few days off and come back. A lot of companies are doing that nowadays. The decision makers aren't programmers, so sometimes they have no idea how much time or how much work that the programmers needed to put into to finish a project, especially when half the workers got laid off.

Anyway, by then at age 27 I went back to school and got a masters in civil engineering. I currently work as a field engineer full time and a programmer (for myself) part time. It's what I prefer. It took me until 30 to figure out what I want to do the rest of my life.

You're 24. You're still young and full of life. Pick a path that you think is right for you and go after it. As the saying goes, go get em tiger.

Just keep in mind that in this day and age it is always better to be really really really good at something and nothing else than having mediocre knowledge of everything.
Thanks for the information and others.

Mediocrity won't get you anywhere.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities