Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,966 times

Advertisements

Here is my background:

1) BS in Business Admin some accounting courses not much
2) I have 7 years of working experience as Staff Accountant Positions at six different jobs, mainly through temp agency assignments.
3) I decided to get masters right out of undergrad but decided to do it in Public Administration so I have a MPA.
4) My masters didn't do anything for me. I should of taken my time to research on what program would be appropriate for me.
5) I want to become a CPA one day but I am afraid its been too many years since I been out of school to remember the hard core accounting education, even though I can do my day to day job just fine.
6) I am debating if I should do MBA or MS in Accounting to prepare myself to sit in the CPA exam. I tried studying and taking the exam but it went really bad so I think I need to start my career over and do a masters that will prepare me for the test.
7) Also, how do I turn my resume around to make it more appealing to CPA firms so that they actually hire me!!!!!! I have applied at so many entry level positions at CPA Firms but never even received first interview.

I need advice on what degree you think will be best for my situation; MBA vs. MS in Acct? And how do I get hired with a CPA firm?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:19 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
So what is your goal? To become a CPA? I'm not sure what state you live in but some state REQUIRE a undergrad in accounting to sit for the CPA ( Florida and Pennsylvania are two). Honestly, I would not complete another Masters degree. I would complete an undergrad in accounting. No degree can prepare you for the CPA exam-you can go through a local college (some colleges have CPA courses to help you pass). However, you are going to first complete your accounting degree (also a lot of companies do not want to hire individuals with Master's in accounting because you haven't mastered the basics).

My family member is a CPA and I was his study buddy for the CPA.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM

219 posts, read 430,782 times
Look at your state's requirements first, and only do what is necessary for the CPA.

For the record, Pennsylvania does not require an undergrad in accounting. In fact, the undergrad can be in anything.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
From what I've seen, most states require a certain number of credit hours in accounting. These credits can be at the undergraduate level, graduate level, or a combination of the two. There are many undergraduate programs in accounting or business administration with a concentration in accounting that are 150 credit hours in order to meet state requirements. Some people just get a regular, 120 credit hour degree and finish the rest of the requirements in an MBA or a master's in accounting. If you don't have many accounting credits from your undergraduate degree, you will probably need to get a master's in accounting in order to have enough accounting credits.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Look at your state's requirements first, and only do what is necessary for the CPA.

For the record, Pennsylvania does not require an undergrad in accounting. In fact, the undergrad can be in anything.

They may have changed it-my friend lives in Pittsburgh and he needed an undergrad in accounting-this was maybe 7 years ago

Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 AM

219 posts, read 430,782 times
Yeah. It did change recently. Not sure what all changed since then. Just know that now your undergrad can be in anything, and the additional accounting credits needed do not need to be a part of a degree program. If the OP has anything similar in his state, I suggest completing the additional credits, not getting the additional degree as it will probably require additional credits. In the end, many employers who want a CPA don't necessarily care what you did to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities