Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should I major in college?
Engineering/ something with low unemployment rate 22 59.46%
Something that involves interests/ is creative 8 21.62%
Third option (explain in post) 7 18.92%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 AM

23,917 posts, read 32,243,846 times

Advertisements

One can also major in engineering and suck at it and wind up not able to keep a job, or get a good job or worse to graduate, and wind up working at Starbicks - or worse at a fast food joint.

I diverted from my given talents once under the pressure of others to become an RN. I have great respect for RNs. But it is a calling. I find biology to be easy, but not interesting. I hate math and I am not very good at it, but I was able to learn enough of it to calculate dosages and IV drips.

I knew that I'd never work in an intensive care unit, and the big money that can be had by Nurse Anesthetists would allude me. Too much math and thus, to me; too boring.

Yes, I found a niche in nursing. Psychiatric nursing and I were a pretty good fit. When it came down to completing my education in Nursing - or in a subject that I'd been gifted in, I chose the latter.

I will never regret that I did. I am doing better financially now than I ever did as a nurse. Much more importantly, I am happy.

I feel as though (and notice that I write "feel) we are to some extent becoming atavistic and narrow minded in the direction that we give to our young.
Once women were given the choice of teacher, nurse or secretary.

Not much of a choice for an entire gender.

Now a generation is being given the choice of Science, Technology, Medicine or Mathematics.

That's no choice to at least half of all students who literally have no use for these subjects.

In my own life, being "practical" was the most wasteful and impractical thing that I ever did. I urge others who are gifted in a similar way, to not make the same mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,159,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Well, on this I have to agree with the parents. Not many kids have the maturity and strength to sustain long periods of unemployment due to wrong major choice, not to mention the forethought to plan for their future. Decades ago, my dad steered me to Computer Science when all I wanted was to be a teacher. I remember the big fight we had over that but now I'm glad that he stuck to his guns on that issue. I'm now able to earn a more than decent living and use that money to pursue / buy other things I'm passionate about (those French artisan chocolates that I love, my travel to far flung places, etc).

The OP mentioned his / her interest in creative writing. Most writers have full time jobs in unrelated field before they are secure enough in their writing career to become full time writer. One of my most favorite authors was a geologist working for an oil company and used to write in between her oil digs until she sold several manuscripts and finally felt comfortable enough to quit her full time job to pursue writing full time. Another favorite author of mine that a few years ago hit No. 1 New York Times list was working in insurance company before she became full time writer. The OP can do the same if he/she is really passionate about writing.

Back to OP's original question about school major, I think Environment Engineering is a cool major. It has so many potentials for sub majors, and the most up & coming one is Energy (whether it's energy sustainability, life cycle energy, etc). Just know that this is not a major where you graduate and done. I mean, of course you can stop at Bachelor's degree but know that most people in this field have PhDs. In terms of potential employers, you can take your pick from commercial to federal sectors, or you can go to consulting route via well known consulting firms (Deloitte, etc).

Another area in Engineering to consider is Electrical Engneering, especially wireless.

I would not pursue the creative major, unless you are comfortable hussling for work all the time. Beginning of Rant - This is why this country is falling behind because so many kids prefer the easy majors. We need more kids in science & enginering majors. Heck, even Samsung has cornered Apple in terms of market share and their latest Samsung Galaxy is above and beyond Apple in terms of product innovation. - End of Rant
I have a PhD in History, which is about as useless as any creative major. I worked for peanuts until I went back to school, picked up some computer classes, and got a job as a computer programmer. Luckily for me, I got into IT when it was still possible to break into the field without a computer related degree. Now, that's virtually impossible as most positions want their programmers to have a CS or "related field" bachelor's degree.

The only time having a STEM degree hurts you is when you don't have one.

There's no rule that says that just because you earn your living in a tech career that you can't do other things. I still love history. I'm my family's resident geneologist and historian. I also love to sew, specifically quilt, and bake, and I've developed an interest in historical patterns and recipes. Maybe when I retire, I'll collect all my stuff and write a book because I'll have a nice retirement without a lot of money worries because I spent the last 30 years of my working life making decent money instead of peanuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemureDoll View Post
I just want to quickly clarify a few things:

-I'm female (in case anyone is wondering :P)

-I applied to CCNY, Queens College, Hunter College, John Jay, Cooper Union, Manhattan College, and NYU Poly. I got into all of them except Cooper. MC and NYU Poly didn't offer enough aid, so I had to decline and choose from CUNY. I picked CCNY mostly because of the engineering department.

-I'm more concerned about stability in a career as opposed to making millions.

Some of you have told me of novelists who worked in other careers while they wrote. Perhaps someone could tell me of an artist/ animator who has a job as an artist/ animator but didn't get the related degree and had to "break out", so to speak?
The artsy career is not going to give you stability unless you're the maybe one in a million who hits it big right out of gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
A major that is also a trade is generally a very good idea. Understand that once you get out of school, very few engineers will actually do much heavy math lifting.

I would never, ever go into any amount of debt for a degree in film studies. An engineer can still find a way into a creative career, but you're not going to get a job in a practical discipline with a creative degree.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
As someone who works in a related industry, if you’re going to pursue a creative career I strongly recommend learning both the front- and back-ends. For example, if you’re interested in animation you should learn the back-end technology and computer programming aspects because that’s where the consistent money is.

The front-end design and drawing part is so fun, prestigious and emotionally fulfilling that many people are willing to do it for free (or nearly free). It’s hard to make money unless you have a large portfolio and a stellar reputation.

You need to know that almost all creative work is done “on spec.” That means that you create the work and then try get someone to buy it. Once you’re J.K. Rowling or Aaron Sorkin producers will pay you beforehand to create something, but it’s very hard to get to that level.

There are “staff” creative-types that are paid by companies like Disney to created “works for hire.” You get a salary and create whatever they ask for—but those are extremely difficult jobs to get. They recruit at the very top schools like Cal Arts and RISD.

In the end, it’s practically impossible to do creative work without either a trust fund or a day job. No, I’m not exaggerating. You need to be strategic and build your skill set so that your “day job” is also in the industry. That way you gain experience and contacts that you can transfer to your creative work.

If you’re an animation programmer, you’re much better placed to do your own animation work than if you’re waiting tables.
It seems to me that computer programming might be a better field for the OP than engineering because she can get into something like animation programming. Other people mentioned HCI and UX, which are also possibilities. Engineering, though, can be creative as well. The fact is that learning the basics is "boring" and "uninspiring" but you need to learn those basics in order to move on the "fun stuff". Those basic concepts are the foundation of all the slick stuff that computers do.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,269,792 times
Default Here’s a case study of what it takes to be a creative type in New York circa 2013

I have a friend in his early 20s. All of his life he wanted to be a fashion designer. Fortunately for him he’s from a very affluent upper-middle class family in the New York metro area. They know “how the system works†and have the money to support my friend in his creative ambitions.

He got undergraduate degree at Parsons. He then got a masters degree in Milan and interned with a top Italian designer. After moving back to New York he was able to get a junior staff designer position at a major label. He works crazy hours, including weekends, and makes approximately $30,000 a year—a figure so low that his parents still have to help him with his rent.

The moral of the story? In this case it took hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition, travel and housing just to get his foot in the door in a creative industry. That’s the dirty secret of creative life in 21st century America. The days where you could buy a one-way bus ticket to New York and “live the dream†and “make it†in a creative industry without prior training or financial resources are over.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,024,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I have a PhD in History, which is about as useless as any creative major. I worked for peanuts until I went back to school, picked up some computer classes, and got a job as a computer programmer. Luckily for me, I got into IT when it was still possible to break into the field without a computer related degree. Now, that's virtually impossible as most positions want their programmers to have a CS or "related field" bachelor's degree.

The only time having a STEM degree hurts you is when you don't have one.
So sad that you have a doctorate and were forced to take some chintzy computer classes to go back and start at the bottom in an overflooded, overpaid field. That all of your hard work meant nothing.

Such a sad indictment on our society that a person who has a 2 years associate degree in computers from wherever and a few certs and doing nothing spectacular at his day job could be outearning someone who has a History pHd from Yale. The income inequity is just out of control. It pisses me off.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,024,631 times
One thing people also have to remember is that 'doing what you love' and 'having a day job related to what you love' are two completely different things.

For instance, I have a friend who loves to play music and got a music degree. He was VERY lucky to get a job as a music teacher in a public school and has a stable job that pays pretty well. His job consists of teaching kids who don't care about music and who mostly suck. He'd rather do something else, even though technically, his job involves doing what he loves.

Or you could get a degree in English, but you won't be working on your novel during your day job. You'll be writing dog and pony fare for corporate America.

Etc, etc..

If you REALLY love an art, my two suggestions would be...

1) Just go full bonanza, forget about college, and work 20 hours a week at Starbucks, and spend the rest of your waking life working on your art.

2) Get a degree(s) that leads to a good paying, flexible career and do your art on the side.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,746,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Where'd you read that?

I looked at his bio and it doesn't even say he has a degree in anything, let alone CS.

I don't care, I'm just curious to know if MIT (or any reputable CS school) would allow such a thing.
I heard him talking about it in person. Go here:
2013 Esri International User Conference (UC) July 8-12 in San Diego
and click on "Special Guest will.i.am and Jack Dangermond" for the whole conversation. Not sure at what point he talked about MIT. Maybe I misheard the college he said, but it sure sounded like he said MIT and I know he talked about graduate studies in computer science.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,784,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I have a friend in his early 20s. All of his life he wanted to be a fashion designer. Fortunately for him he’s from a very affluent upper-middle class family in the New York metro area. They know “how the system works†and have the money to support my friend in his creative ambitions.

He got undergraduate degree at Parsons. He then got a masters degree in Milan and interned with a top Italian designer. After moving back to New York he was able to get a junior staff designer position at a major label. He works crazy hours, including weekends, and makes approximately $30,000 a year—a figure so low that his parents still have to help him with his rent.

The moral of the story? In this case it took hundreds of thousands of dollars in tuition, travel and housing just to get his foot in the door in a creative industry. That’s the dirty secret of creative life in 21st century America. The days where you could buy a one-way bus ticket to New York and “live the dream†and “make it†in a creative industry without prior training or financial resources are over.
Exactly, it seems the American dream as people knew it is gone yet people cannot realize that.

I still say the best option is to look at your skills, needs in majors, and what majors require. If there is a need and your skills match the major, you should be fine. We can't just have engineers who suck at algebra and physics.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,598,983 times
I think for the most part the whole "do what you love and the money will follow" is a bit hippy, dippy. Yes in a perfect world everyone would be able to follow their passion completely and make a decent living off it. Similarly in a perfect world there would be no wars, no homeless and no poor-clearly we are not in that world at least not yet. Life is not the movies, not everyone is going to run into that Will Smith rubix cube moment where gosh darn it the employer was just so dam blown away that screw applying online I am just going to give you the interview-

That does not mean you don't try to follow your dreams but it should be tempered with some sort of realism. Aside from majoring in the more solid field and minoring in the creative field you can also apply to the "creative" internships. Nick, Disney, Cartoon Network etc... I believe for those internships you don't have to be a art or illustration major. Rather you submit your work during the designated periods and if they believe your transcript, your portfolio is good enough then they will consider you for the internship regardless of what you are studying.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,974,757 times
Quote:
That doesn't say he's enrolled in the program.
i googled for a while and did find one page that mentioned it in passing, but nothing more. i'd file under "unsure"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly, it seems the American dream as people knew it is gone yet people cannot realize that.
how exactly does a story about some privileged kid buying his way into a low level job in the fashion industry a sign of this? the "american dream" wasn't ever "move to NYC and design clothes"...

Quote:
So sad that you have a doctorate and were forced to take some chintzy computer classes to go back and start at the bottom in an overflooded, overpaid field. That all of your hard work meant nothing.
i think that's a really sad way to look at the story. nothing?

my undergraduate degree is in music, and has little to no bearing whatsoever on my professional life and graduate studies. i'd hardly say it meant nothing though. education can be it's own end, not just a means to one

Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,784,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
how exactly does a story about some privileged kid buying his way into a low level job in the fashion industry a sign of this? the "american dream" wasn't ever "move to NYC and design clothes"...
It goes with "major in what you love, you'll make money" logic that exists in high school. He wanted to be a fashion designer and luckily his parents had the money to send him to a few high level programs. However now, he is just lucky to have a job and if it weren't for his parents he would be on the streets even with a job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities