Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM

50 posts, read 187,458 times

Advertisements

As the new school year approaches... just curious how many of you out there completed a summer internship.

Where did you work? How was the pay? What do you hope to end up doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 08:09 PM

22,571 posts, read 47,633,000 times
All the kids I know with summer internships this year did them for free, and all were related to their major.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
In most places it is illegal to have an intern work for free due to the six requirements in the Fair Labors Standards Act.

My daughter and several of students had a summer internship doing research at a local university. They each got $3k. They are all science majors.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
My son did two things - research at the university for a small amount of pay that probably just covered his gas and parking, then he had an "internship" at a company related to his major. I put that in quotes because he will continue to work during the school year. They are being very flexible with him. He makes $15/hour. He will be a sophomore this year.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:29 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
My son, who just started his second year of law school, had 2 internships this summer. One, for the first half of the summer working a few hours a day for an attorney who practices in his field of interest. This was near his apt/school and was for no pay. The second half of the summer he worked for a judge in the city (in another state) where he would eventually like to end after graduation. When he accepted the position, he thought it was for no pay. To his surprise, when he arrived he found out he was getting paid. He had 2 internships during his undergrad years, also for no pay.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:21 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,022 times
one of my students interned at mozilla this summer, another at ibm last summer

i think ibm paid in the $20-$25/hr range. unsure of mozilla, probably a little less. both are or will be software developers and were between junior and senior year

good luck

Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
My son, a rising college junior, did an internship about an hour from his college town in Vermont. I think he made $15/hour. He worked in his computer major and was asked to stay on part time through the fall semester. He really enjoyed the internship. I'm not sure exactly what he did but he said it was related to what he's learned in school.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,709 times
i need to find an internship this coming summer of 2014. im not sure how to go about it and well..what do they ask you before they hire you?

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM

21 posts, read 19,322 times
I would do an internship now if I would get paid. I need to get money for rent for next semester. How would I find a internship for being a chef or cook? I would do anything in a resturant to start.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:21 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonite View Post
I would do an internship now if I would get paid. I need to get money for rent for next semester. How would I find a internship for being a chef or cook? I would do anything in a resturant to start.
Are you studying to be a chef? If you are, then I would think your school might be able to help you locate an actual internship.

I have a friend whose son is a chef. He first got interested culinary arts while working a part time job in the kitchen of a popular restaurant when he was in high school. This was grunt work, nothing glamorous.Not an internship. As he got more and more interested, his boss allowed him to do different things in the kitchen. He started taking classes at school districts technical school half days, while attending regular classes the other half and working nights and weekends at the restaurant. After graduation he went on to attend college. He did not attend one of these "for profit" places that advertise on TV, but attended a real culinary school, which offered a bachelors degree in conjunction with a university. While there his school helped him find internships with restaurants in the area. He graduated a few years ago and was able to get a job a sous chef in a very nice restaurant and is doing well.

I guess my point is, if you want to be a chef, just find any kind of job in a restaurant. Don't worry about it being an internship. Just do whatever you can to get your foot in the door. Work as a server, bus tables, wash dishes, whatever it takes to get you there. You will still learn a lot, make some money, and hopefully open the door to doing other things in a kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities