Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times

Advertisements

Same way I just did it without any online classes. Class two nights a week for 4.5 hours each (5:00 - 9:30pm) and about 10 hours of homework a week per class. Took me 1.5 years to get it done.

I imagine that is how it was done back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
my mom worked while my stepdad went back to school for an mba...now they both work and are satisfied. we werent that rich living off of one income with 3 boys to feed, but we managed.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:35 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Some graduate degrees require a thesis, not just taking some courses.
I suppose it would be very hard to complete a thesis if you work full time.

Actually I did writing my master's thesis when I did a full-time intern job. However, I still took a month off before the defense. Also, before I started the intern job, I had pretty much figured out what to write in the thesis.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Shift work. Most college classes were days. People took classes by day and held a job with either a 3PM-11PM shift or night shift 11PM - 7AM. Alternately, some colleges like what became Youngstown State U. were mostly night schools when they were start-ups, and their students had day jobs.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Same way many do it now. Work during the day and go to class at night. Not easy, but there you have it.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
I hear alot of working adults especially ones who have kids, say that the only way they can go back to school is by doing online classes . I just wonder how, in the 90s and before (when online classes weren't an option), did people who have children or even adults who didnt have children but had to still hold down a full time job find a way to go back to school so that they could change careers and/or better their life if they werent making enough money...
Night classes, usually. You've never heard of evening classes?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Night classes, usually. You've never heard of evening classes?
Kids are busier than parents these days with all the structured goings on and someone has to take them to their appointments.

I've heard plenty of parents say they don't have time to physically go to the school to take classes.

I prefer the classroom to online. I always managed to find a way to take 1-2 classes while working.
I've taken lunchtime classes, evening classes, Saturday classes, late afternoon classes and just reworked my work schedule in advance of enrolling.

I did quit and go full time the last semester of getting my BS in engineering and was able to co-op with a big multinational that last semester (work + 2 evening classes).

I also took a year leave of absence and was able to do student teaching to get my teaching certificate before retiring from my job.

I can be done but you have to think outside the box and give up a few things along the way.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Kids are busier than parents these days with all the structured goings on and someone has to take them to their appointments.

I've heard plenty of parents say they don't have time to physically go to the school to take classes.
That's now. You're OP is asking about back in the day. That was how it was done.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:15 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
One night a week and every other Saturday, all day. It was a program for working adults even though I wasn't working at the time. I was a SAHM and had to go to school when my husband was home to watch the kids. There were working adults, a few like me, and a couple traditional college aged kids who preferred the schedule. This was an AA degree program that flowed into a our local state university who had a similar program for those wanting a BA. I didn't do that but I recently looked into it and was surprised to see that they require proof of employment, with a minimum of 30 hours a week, for acceptance. Weird.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:10 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
I don't know many places that offer evening bachelor degrees in STEM anymore, must be harder and harder to pull yourself up. I work with a ton of guys in nearing the end of their careers who did just that to move them selves up and get a better salary. Now? The only night bachelors I know of are "cheap" degrees like business or liberal arts, no need for the college to have lab space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities