Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 AM

227 posts, read 1,104,520 times

Advertisements

I will be starting college soon and am taking 3 computer courses. Unix operating systems, networking technologies, and systems programming i'm wondering if there difficult or easy.

Systems programming-
This course provides an introduction to writing programs for use by operating systems. Students examine scripting within both Windows and Linux. Topics include command line operating system syntax, basic rules of scripting, examination of tools used for script creation, and creating scripts using both command line and graphical user interface tools.

Networking Techology-
Students learn how to design, install, maintain and troubleshoot both local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs). Students will learn the basics of telecommunications, home and office networking technologies, wireless networking technologies, protocols of data communications, LAN cabling, and internetworking. This course prepares students to sit for CompTIA�s Net+ certification examination.

Unix operating sytems- This course provides students with the knowledge to implement and maintain UNIX-based server technologies. Students install server-based Linux and those packages required to support Linux clients. Server components are discussed and then implemented by students and include: DNS, DHCP, NIS, NFS, and SAMBA. Students explore configuration of log files, remote access, task automation, security, and virtualization. After completing this course students have the required knowledge to sit for the Novell Server Administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Like if you have basic computer skills would you be able to pass them?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,983,765 times
the exact same course can be difficult when taught by one prof and easy when taught by another. i suggest you check ratemyprofessor.com or a similar page. no one here will be able to answer you

Old 09-02-2013, 09:49 AM

805 posts, read 1,872,304 times
Systems programming will be a little tough. You will have to put time and effort in.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
Systems programming will be a little tough. You will have to put time and effort in.
Yeah because i have never programmed before. But i asked my cousin he said that networking technolgies is the easiest then unix.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default I think you are going to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
I have never programmed before.
Quinsigamond Community College is doing you a disservice.
I think you should understand how to write code and make a computer do what you want it do before diving into Unix internals.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 AM

369 posts, read 759,932 times
I took Networking last semester, it's easy, just a lot of memorizing.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
That course that calls itself Systems Programming... it isn't. Scripting is a form of programming but it's typically quite different from writing software.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:28 AM

This is my second year of course its not actual programming. i only took 3 computer classes thus far.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Quote:
i'm wondering if there difficult or easy.
i'm wondering if THEY ARE difficult or easy?

The schools water down computer science to make lots of courses. All of the devices are von Neumann machines.

SF & von Neumann machine basics - YouTube

60 Commands of Linux : A Guide from Newbies to System Administrator

The same concepts with different names repeat over and over. A "daemon" in UNIX is a "service" in Windows. If you don't learn assembly language then the processors used hardly matter.

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities