Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 02:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There are lots of different learning styles. Many people, myself included do not need to nor benefit from notes.

Additionally, many teachers post their notes, entire power points etc. and students want to LISTEN to the teacher rather than write. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe instead of expecting everyone to spend their time learning how you do, maybe focus on your own education.
The problem with this statement (that I have) is that they are NOT listening, they are talking during the whole class. (my Anatomy and Physiology class)

That is a huge issue. This teacher talks and writes notes on the board. Many of the things he says are just as important as the things he writes and what I hear for the most part is their chatter.

I cannot focus on my own education when all I can hear are a bunch of little girls talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Well, in the OP's case they were supposed to be making observations about a building--taking photos with a cell phone is a very reasonable way to capture elements of that building....

like lkb below--some learners DO learn by listening. I have one of those at home. He never takes notes, it distracts him from paying attention to what the teacher says. He then follows up by reading any other material necessary....considering his 4.0, I think it works for him... Again, just because it is different then how you do it doesn't mean it's wrong.
That is only one of my classes. I also mentioned my A&P class where no pictures need to be taken and no electronics are even permitted. You can have a laptop for the purpose of taking notes only. No phones at all.

Just to set you all straight, I do not care if it is someones learning style to not take notes and do well, I do care when they do things that are taking from my learning. Socializing is not meant for the inside of a classroom and whether or not this is a community college or any other type of college does not make a difference.

If parents are sending their children into an adult world, they need to have taught them to be responsible members of the adult community who have respect for themselves as well as others.

That is what I am saying.

Also~the two girls from my writing class did not take pictures of the building. They did absolutely nothing. They did pull their phones out to ask for my number in case they had any questions about the assignment.

I understand you have a 4.0 college student. Understand that I do as well. Also understand that both he and my daughter are respectful kids..... I would expect nothing less of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
No, they are actually required textbooks...Thank you! =).
You're welcome. What have you decided to major in?

This is an example - Human Anatomy & Physiology Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package (9th Edition)

I am surprised the instructor tolerates talking during his lecture because it is rude and distracting. You may need to move up front to hear, but I am sure the chatterboxes will either drop after the first test when they fail it or at least by drop day.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You're welcome. What have you decided to major in?

This is an example - Human Anatomy & Physiology Plus MasteringA&P with eText -- Access Card Package (9th Edition)

I am surprised the instructor tolerates talking during his lecture because it is rude and distracting. You may need to move up front to hear, but I am sure the chatterboxes will either drop after the first test when they fail it or at least by drop day.
You know, he is a bit older and talks pretty loud. When we are in the lab, he is pretty far back and I doubt he can see or hear them talking.

I can hear him but I can hear them just as well, and I don't think it would matter where I sat. I have had this problem for a few years now. For instance, if we are at a restaurant, I cant hear 3-4 other conversations going other than my own. =(

I am going towards nursing. What I would like to do is teach and I may still go that route. I was under the assumption that there weren't many teaching positions in this area but I have found out otherwise.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:19 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I don't talk in class while the professor is talking, but I've never been much of a note taker. I also don't see the point of lectures. I went from an online master's program to an on campus PhD program. Most of the students in one of my classes seem to need the lecturing, but I don't. Almost everything my professor has taught so far has been something I already thoroughly understood by reading the textbook. I'm not an auditory learning, so I sometimes zone out during lectures.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I don't talk in class while the professor is talking, but I've never been much of a note taker. I also don't see the point of lectures. I went from an online master's program to an on campus PhD program. Most of the students in one of my classes seem to need the lecturing, but I don't. Almost everything my professor has taught so far has been something I already thoroughly understood by reading the textbook. I'm not an auditory learning, so I sometimes zone out during lectures.
Well that's good. I do understand there are different learning styles, even though posters in this thread have been continuously telling me that as if I don't.

My daughter has Aspergers Syndrome, so I have fought her whole life to try and make teachers understand there are different learning and therefore teaching types.

I do appreciate the fact that you do not talk in class while the teacher is talking.

Everything my professor lectures on for the most part is also in the textbook. Some of it is not, and he will come out and say, "Now this is not in your textbook" prior to talking about it.....

I can't do online....at all.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
...I can't do online....at all.
Right now, perhaps...
There is a need for nurse educators, but the expertise has to include the online environment.... OMG!!

Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Well I am back to my A&P class tonight and I am absolutely dreading it. It is normally my favorite class but last weeks lab portion was a complete bomb.

I could hear the teacher talking and telling everyone what to do but his words weren't so very clear because I could also hear these other conversations.

He is running a week or 2 behind which makes us behind and he was trying to play catch up and for him, it was a good area to do it, because it is an area he excels in. The part of Biology he specializes in. I am pretty new to it altogether because somehow, when I was in high school, we didn't do it, and my last Biology class also did not include it.

ugh. Dreading it tonight.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
I personally learned best in both undergraduate and grad school through listening to lectures (a science degree and a management degree). Note taking got in the way of listening, generally. I do not learn material well through reading. That is me. Not everyone is the same.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I personally learned best in both undergraduate and grad school through listening to lectures (a science degree and a management degree). Note taking got in the way of listening, generally. I do not learn material well through reading. That is me. Not everyone is the same.
That is understandable and I know that not everyone is the same...

I am just the opposite, and it may not really be the way I really am, but due to a medication I take.

This medications causes short term memory issues and makes things pretty difficult. If I learned it back before I was dx, it stuck, if I learned it after, and after I started taking this medication it likely didn't.

It will stick with practice, so if I learn a new math, for instance, it is not going to stick because I am not going to be doing math everyday.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
I had pretty much the same experience as you, Pikantari. So did a 40-something man that went back for a comp sci degree. If today's students see you as old enough to be Mom or Dad, they just naturally expect you to wipe their butts and do all their work for them the way their parents do, LOL. I went back for a baccalaureate degree in my late 20s and I looked very young, so I was accepted as a peer by the students. Also, that town and the school were both predominantly college-educated and Yuppie, so I had a nice solid middle class to upper middle class student body there. I enjoyed the students and the schooling.

As a contrast to that, I (over age 40) went to nursing school in a run down working-class Catholic town, and I absolutely hated it. The teaching format was hours of yapping lectures lasting 4-6 hours per day, at least 3 days per week, and then 2 days of clinicals. The students were all either small town homemakers who'd never had a job and now decided that nursing was it, because, hey, what else do they know anything about but raising kids and being a caretaker? Or they were lower-class kids all tattooed-up and guys wearing two earrings, etc., and all of that unprofessional faddish carp. School had a clearly stated dress code, and at least half of those women had to be told not to come to school dressed like streetwalkers. Most adults in the cohort were actually doing their own work, and all of us adults were working their tails off day and night. Most of the kids were Facebooking on every hourly pee break, and were cheating on all of the written assignments and particularly on all the online sim exercises. They'd team up, each do part of it, share the answers, change a few randomly so that their results weren't carbon-copy, and off they'd go. They ostracized me early-on because I would not give them answers. And also because I verbally kicked their lazy arses for not completing their parts of team assignments, and I left them sink but I made sure that MY part of the presentations were always stellar and professionally done. Before I quit that school, I made sure to tell the Director that she had a bunch of cheating students teaming up on all the sim work, just which students, and that she could easily catch that by installing a couple of cameras in the computer lab and the student lounge. And that she should be watching a certain clique for similarities on clinical paperwork and reports. That school only graduated 30 of the original 62 or so, and all but 2 of the cheaters didn't make it through. heh heh

In the prerequisite classes, and in the nursing classes, I found lectures to be essentially useless. First, I hate sitting and listening to people talk. I don't care who it is, unless it's a subject of great personal interest to me, I tune out after 20-30 minutes and the rest of the time is wasted. I, like you, would much rather read a book. A&P is just a lot of rote memorization in the A part, and the book explains all the physiology part, so I really didn't need an instructor.

I also had a clique of gals in that class who computered and i-Phoned and yakked their way through it, and I always avoided them in the labs because they immediately turned to me as if expecting that I would be their servant and would have some special interest in teaching them or doing all of the dissecting or something. Wrong-o. And those gals didn't make it into A&P II, either. Didn't pass. The instructor or perhaps another student caught them cheating and called them out in class without naming names, but the description of the behavior would only apply to them. lol.

So, yes, I think there is a generation gap and age-related issue. And I think most of the problem is with the young students just expecting all adults to cater to them and make life easy for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities