U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 PM
 
21,136 posts, read 16,734,541 times
Reputation: 9868

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
It's clear NJBest and Zthat, that neither of you read my post.

I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.

Did the professor do something wrong?

Yes she did. She didn't turn in my final grade by the summer deadline.

Did the university do something wrong?

Yes. A professor is obligated to turn in a final grade for a student who is enrolled in his/her course. That is a university policy.
Where exactly in the post below did you say you "turned in all" your "coursework before the end of summer deadline"? I'm having trouble finding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
For my last course in my masters of arts in teaching program I took an Incomplete due to the overwhelming stress of student teaching all day then taking this class at night once a week.

Grades were due on September 5th but my professor never turned my grades in, so I haven't been awarded my masters degree in education.

The last email she sent me was back in late July; she mentioned traveling to Alaska until the 25th of August and being out of touch until then. Well, it's September 9th and I haven't heard a word from her.

I contacted the transcript coordinator of my university's masters program and was told that the university has a contract clause with tenured professors in that the university is hands-off when it comes to whether or not professors turn in a student's grades. I took that as a bunch of b.s. and emailed the dean of education, venting my frustration. He reiterated the transcript coordinator's b.s. policy and told me that it was my responsibility to get in touch with the professor to get her to hand in my grade.

I'm so angry and hurt that this has happened to me. I don't know what to do? Do I hire a lawyer to sue the professor? That is extreme but my university's dean of education refuses to get involved so what options do I have?

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

I still have my course syllabus and did leave a voicemail for my professor, asking her to turn in my grades so that I can be awarded my masters degree. But if she doesn't, it's 3 years and over $60K wasted. I didn't get my teaching license either (that's another thread here that I won't go into details about because it's a moot point now).

I just can't believe this happened to me. What am I supposed to do now? Work at a coffee shop and live below the poverty line? I'm in my early 40s and single, and this is not how I envisioned the outcome for myself after completing an MAT program.

I'm so depressed I can't eat or sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,150,789 times
Reputation: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
For my last course in my masters of arts in teaching program I took an Incomplete due to the overwhelming stress of student teaching all day then taking this class at night once a week. When did you finish the last class. I see you took an incomplete. Are you still working on completing the requirements? Did you have a deadline to finish what you needed?

Grades were due on September 5th but my professor never turned my grades in, so I haven't been awarded my masters degree in education. Eh, thats the unoffical deadline. There is usually a final deadline about 4 weeks after the end of the grading deadline when grades have to be in for a diploma to be issued.

The last email she sent me was back in late July; she mentioned traveling to Alaska until the 25th of August and being out of touch until then. Well, it's September 9th and I haven't heard a word from her. When did you last email her to ask about your grades?

I contacted the transcript coordinator of my university's masters program and was told that the university has a contract clause with tenured professors in that the university is hands-off when it comes to whether or not professors turn in a student's grades. I took that as a bunch of b.s. and emailed the dean of education, venting my frustration. He reiterated the transcript coordinator's b.s. policy and told me that it was my responsibility to get in touch with the professor to get her to hand in my grade. So again, when is the last time you were in touch with your professor. Have you shown her and did she acknowledge in writing that you have completed all of the work to remove the incomplete?

I'm so angry and hurt that this has happened to me. I don't know what to do? Do I hire a lawyer to sue the professor? That is extreme but my university's dean of education refuses to get involved so what options do I have? It is not clear what exactly has happened to you. I would just send another email and leave a polite phone message to try and clear up what is holding up the posting of your grade for the class. It is quite possible she had to submit some paperwork to get the incomplete changed since it was likely in a prior semester. That can take some time. So until you know all of the details, I would hold off on getting to angry over this.
I posted my response above in red. Some info is missing from your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:12 PM
 
1,905 posts, read 1,620,955 times
Reputation: 2897
You seem to be focusing the blame on everyone and everything but yourself.

Show the email to the Dean of the college, if you haven't already. I just think there's more to the story....especially after you mentioned not having your teaching credentials either.

Looks like your going to have to camp out at the school until you get your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
 
1,866 posts, read 1,032,169 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Just keep e-mailing (10 times a day if you have to) until you get some response from your delinquent professor who's enjoying their vacation no doubt on your dime.....remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil...keep at it, don't let up...I agree with you that what's happened never should have, and it's absolute bulls**t that the professor is not answering you and taking care of what she should have done...good luck...sorry for your anguish.
no the squeaky wheel does not get the grease. If a student did that to m3, i would block their email, i dont care what it was for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
33,420 posts, read 19,308,861 times
Reputation: 23330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.
No, you failed to state this altogether. You seem to have trouble communicating. This could be part of your problem.

When the new semester begins, the professor will have office hours. The department can tell you when they are, and you can go see the professor in person. That is how it's done. Also, as someone else suggested, if the school has an academic ombudsman, enlist that person's help. The central advising office should be able to tell you who that person is, if you can't find the info online. Have you spoken to the academic advisor in your degree department? That would also be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
400 posts, read 611,641 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Take a deep breath. The deadline is not a hard deadline.

The university probably sent your professor an email back in January telling him when the deadline was. What else would you expect the university to do? They can't force a professor to do something.

You need to get in touch with that professor. Find out when his classes are and wait for him there.
Deep breathing. Forgot that can help me calm down. I thought the September 5th deadline was a hard deadline which is why I freaked out.

I took my last graduate course with this professor this spring...and took an Incomplete to finish the coursework this summer.

I have been in touch with this professor in June and July and the first week of August via email. After the first week of August I have not heard back from the professor at all.

The last email from the professor eluded to her going on an official sabbatical, but she did not state WHEN that starts.

And I would think that turning in a grade for 1 student would not ruin her sabbatical since she will not be teaching this fall or next spring (hence; she is on sabbatical for one year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Just keep e-mailing (10 times a day if you have to) until you get some response from your delinquent professor who's enjoying their vacation no doubt on your dime.....remember, the squeaky wheel gets the oil...keep at it, don't let up...I agree with you that what's happened never should have, and it's absolute bulls**t that the professor is not answering you and taking care of what she should have done...good luck...sorry for your anguish.
I can't email the professor 10 times a day. I already sent her about 6 emails and left a polite voicemail at her home # that she listed on her syllabus.

But yes it is bull that she's not responding to my emails to at least tell me she is either 1) still on vacation or 2) on sabbatical or 3) her reason for not turning in my final grade. I feel that she owes me an explanation for leaving me in the lurch like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For something this serious, I wouldn't rely on such a passive form of communication like email. I'd call and show up at his classes.
My prof is a she and she's on sabbatical starting now (allegedly this fall through next spring), so I can't just show up at her classes; and I wouldn't even if she was teaching as that's confrontational. I'm in my 40s and am working during the day anyway and there's no reason why she can't respond to my emails or the voicemail that I left her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I fail to see how one class will reset three year's of classes and schooling. Absolute worst case scenario, wouldn't you just have to retake this one class, preferably with a different professor?

Your professor will have to return to her class or office someday, perhaps you could catch her and confront her in person? I think a more direct approach would be advisable in this situation. I wish you the best, keep us updated.
Her class was the last one in my graduate school program. And you can't retake a course that you get an F in. The F is permanent. And this is for a masters degree. It's not undergraduate college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Does the university have an academic ombudsman? Their job is to help with stuff just like this.

Just for FYI, they probably have deadlines that the university holds their feet to the fire over during that term but maybe not for an incomplete. Most universities allow professors to determine whether or not you are allowed to make up incompletes. That incomplete means you missed your deadline so your professor may feel you aren't justified in getting your nose out of joint if she misses one for you.

Just for clarification, when she sent the e-mail about being in Alaska was she doing so to try and get you to turn in everything prior to her leaving? When did you get it turned in?

I know you've had a rough time of it, I remember the student teaching issues, but try to keep level headed about this and remain as professional in your dealings with university officials as possible. I hope you get this worked out.
Yes, but how will the university ombudsman help me exactly? I thought their role is to just be neutral and make suggestions.

No. I didn't miss any deadline. I took the Incomplete to finish my assignments over this summer. The spring Incomplete deadline was September 5th; and masters degrees from the spring are awarded by the last week in September.

My prof did mention that she would be in Alaska then Australia but did not give me hard dates. She said she would check my work while she was in Australia but then mentioned that she would go on official sabbatical after that, in late August. Ad she never wrote in any of her emails to me, "if you don't turn in your work by such and such date, I will not give you a final grade." So I was never under the impression that turning my work to her in late August would become a serious issue. If my emails arrived a day or two after her "official" sabbatical started, whenever that date was (she never told me via email the date her sabbatical started) that's still no excuse to go radio silence on me. Why wouldn't she want to give me a final grade so that I can be awarded my masters degree?

Up to this point she was very patient and understanding about my stress and need to do the Incomplete so I don't view her as a vindictive person. I'm just very upset that I haven't heard from her in over one month, esp. since I turned my assignments in on time for this Incomplete. I would have expected her to respond to me via email, "I got your assignments now" and then tell me she will either grade them or won't grade them and explain why. But I haven't heard anything from her and her vacations were supposedly over by August 25th.

Trying to keep a level head is the hard part. I'm very upset that I haven't heard a word from her in over one month now via email.

And yes, I went through hell in this program with the student teaching and state testing portion (to fail both). So that is why I am distraught over this situation now.

I have no idea why my professor wouldn't simply respond to one of my emails to explain why she won't or hasn't turned in a final grade for me. There is no excuse for her radio silence; sabbatical or vacation, no excuse. This is a serious issue.


[quote=NJBest;31344587]Where exactly in the post below did you say you "turned in all" your "coursework before the end of summer deadline"? I'm having trouble finding it.[/QUOTE



Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I posted my response above in red. Some info is missing from your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
You seem to be focusing the blame on everyone and everything but yourself.

Show the email to the Dean of the college, if you haven't already. I just think there's more to the story....especially after you mentioned not having your teaching credentials either.

Looks like your going to have to camp out at the school until you get your degree.
Excuse me? The blame is where it should be - on the professor for not turning in my final grade and for the university for not helping me with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
no the squeaky wheel does not get the grease. If a student did that to m3, i would block their email, i dont care what it was for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, you failed to state this altogether. You seem to have trouble communicating. This could be part of your problem.

When the new semester begins, the professor will have office hours. The department can tell you when they are, and you can go see the professor in person. That is how it's done. Also, as someone else suggested, if the school has an academic ombudsman, enlist that person's help. The central advising office should be able to tell you who that person is, if you can't find the info online. Have you spoken to the academic advisor in your degree department? That would also be a good place to start.
As I already stated, the professor is on sabbatical and will not be teaching this fall or next spring. And I already left the professor a voicemail asking her to call me.

I don't have an academic advisor anymore since I graduated from the program this spring (you can do that even if you take an Incomplete for your last course in the graduate program).

I did contact the associate dean and asked him to email me the university's policies on grading and professor conduct. I will need that information to make a case against the professor for not following academic policies on grading and professional conduct (i.e. turning in a final grade so I can be awarded my masters degree since I completed all my coursework over 3 years).

I will contact the ombudsman if the associate dean doesn't help me. I would have a legal case against the professor too, since I did turn in my completed coursework by the Incomplete deadline (which is a hard deadline for students, if not for professors). I held up my end of the bargain via the requirements for taking an Incomplete as a student. The professor -- tenured or not -- has the responsibility to grade my assignments and then turn in a final grade. There is no excuse not to do that. Both of my parents were college professors, and both took sabbaticals during their teaching years, but that did not exempt them from their responsibilities to their students' grading.

Last edited by Midwest Maven; 09-10-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
400 posts, read 611,641 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I posted my response above in red. Some info is missing from your post.
My last email to the professor was yesterday. I emailed her all summer, every 2-3 weeks.

As I stated, I took her class (my last class in my program) this spring but took an Incomplete because student teaching and taking this class was difficult. Then I failed my student teaching, got severely depressed about it and knew I couldn't finish the assignments by the end of May, hence my need for a summer extension/Incomplete which my professor approved.

You ask me if I have shown her that i finished my work? Um yes. I emailed her all of my coursework assignments. There is a Blackboard for her course where the class posted assignments, but that was shut down after May, so I couldn't post my assignments there, which is why I emailed them to her as Word attachments. I only had to email her 4 assignments -- all research papers, which I did.

I'm not clear on what has happened to my professor which is why I am upset. We had consistent email communication until a few weeks ago when it abruptly stopped. She said in her last email that she would continue to read and check my work. She wrote that she hoped I would complete my work before her sabbatical started but she didn't give me a date. Also, if she chose to start her sabbatical before September 5th, that would really screw me over as that is when my Incomplete deadline was for. So I emailed her my last two papers by August 28th. If she went on Sabbatical before August 28th, that is possibly why she has not communicated with me. BUT she should have emailed me and said, "I am on sabbatical now" if it was before or after I submitted my last two papers, so that I would know what is going on.

I have no idea if she checks her faculty email while she is on sabbatical. I really don't know. So my hope is that she will get my voicemail and have the courtesy to email or call me now and explain what happened.

Or my hope is that the associate dean will send me the information I asked for, and follow up with the professor (I have no idea if he even will do that for me) to find out what is going on.

It seems unreasonable to me that my professor would choose not to submit a final grade for me so that I could get my masters degree since I finished 3 years of coursework and graduated this spring, despite taking the Incomplete over the summer.

That is why I posted; because I'm upset that this has happened after all the bullsh*t I've been put through in my grad program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 AM
 
20,797 posts, read 32,810,594 times
Reputation: 9904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
My last email to the professor was yesterday. I emailed her all summer, every 2-3 weeks.

As I stated, I took her class (my last class in my program) this spring but took an Incomplete because student teaching and taking this class was difficult. Then I failed my student teaching, got severely depressed about it and knew I couldn't finish the assignments by the end of May, hence my need for a summer extension/Incomplete which my professor approved.

You ask me if I have shown her that i finished my work? Um yes. I emailed her all of my coursework assignments. There is a Blackboard for her course where the class posted assignments, but that was shut down after May, so I couldn't post my assignments there, which is why I emailed them to her as Word attachments. I only had to email her 4 assignments -- all research papers, which I did.

I'm not clear on what has happened to my professor which is why I am upset. We had consistent email communication until a few weeks ago when it abruptly stopped. She said in her last email that she would continue to read and check my work. She wrote that she hoped I would complete my work before her sabbatical started but she didn't give me a date. Also, if she chose to start her sabbatical before September 5th, that would really screw me over as that is when my Incomplete deadline was for. So I emailed her my last two papers by August 28th. If she went on Sabbatical before August 28th, that is possibly why she has not communicated with me. BUT she should have emailed me and said, "I am on sabbatical now" if it was before or after I submitted my last two papers, so that I would know what is going on.

I have no idea if she checks her faculty email while she is on sabbatical. I really don't know. So my hope is that she will get my voicemail and have the courtesy to email or call me now and explain what happened.

Or my hope is that the associate dean will send me the information I asked for, and follow up with the professor (I have no idea if he even will do that for me) to find out what is going on.

It seems unreasonable to me that my professor would choose not to submit a final grade for me so that I could get my masters degree since I finished 3 years of coursework and graduated this spring, despite taking the Incomplete over the summer.

That is why I posted; because I'm upset that this has happened after all the bullsh*t I've been put through in my grad program.
You failed student teaching and you are worried about one grade? If you failed your student teaching you can't get your license anyway. If you found student teaching to be stressful, I think it's best you don't go into education because student teaching is a breeze compared to being in your own classroom. Most likely your prof is still on vacation and will get back to you when she is back. You probably should have gotten more information from her about her plans so you could have gotten your work done and in before she left. She told you she was going on vacation at the end of August....and you did take an incomplete and took all summer to get your work done (which you did NOT say in your original post). The only blame lies with you in the situation, sorry. I doubt she chose not to submit your grade and is simply not around to do so right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati near
1,888 posts, read 1,506,302 times
Reputation: 3930
Talk to the department chair. While he/she won't be able to change your grade, they should have the ability to waive the requirement for the one class that is holding you back. If the facts of the matter match your description , I would say you have a good chance of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 AM
 
10,141 posts, read 11,536,385 times
Reputation: 9234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
For my last course in my masters of arts in teaching program I took an Incomplete due to the overwhelming stress of student teaching all day then taking this class at night once a week.

Grades were due on September 5th but my professor never turned my grades in, so I haven't been awarded my masters degree in education.

The last email she sent me was back in late July; she mentioned traveling to Alaska until the 25th of August and being out of touch until then. Well, it's September 9th and I haven't heard a word from her.

I contacted the transcript coordinator of my university's masters program and was told that the university has a contract clause with tenured professors in that the university is hands-off when it comes to whether or not professors turn in a student's grades. I took that as a bunch of b.s. and emailed the dean of education, venting my frustration. He reiterated the transcript coordinator's b.s. policy and told me that it was my responsibility to get in touch with the professor to get her to hand in my grade.

I'm so angry and hurt that this has happened to me. I don't know what to do? Do I hire a lawyer to sue the professor? That is extreme but my university's dean of education refuses to get involved so what options do I have?

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

I still have my course syllabus and did leave a voicemail for my professor, asking her to turn in my grades so that I can be awarded my masters degree. But if she doesn't, it's 3 years and over $60K wasted. I didn't get my teaching license either (that's another thread here that I won't go into details about because it's a moot point now).

I just can't believe this happened to me. What am I supposed to do now? Work at a coffee shop and live below the poverty line? I'm in my early 40s and single, and this is not how I envisioned the outcome for myself after completing an MAT program.

I'm so depressed I can't eat or sleep.
Does your school have an Omnsbudsman to handle disputes like this? The College of Education may have a hands off policy because there is another administrator who handles these disputes. The first thing I would do is contact the professor. The second thing I would do it to start making phone calls to figure out who handles these kind of disputes at your university.

I am confident that you will get it all worked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top