U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,596,624 times

Advertisements

Do you have a signed contract for the incomplete? This is a very important document for understanding the professor's obligations here.
If you don't, then all this talk of lawyers and lawsuits is not going to get you anywhere. The professor can simply end everything by submitting your end of semester grade in place of your I (with no consideration of any of the work you did over the summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:57 AM

2,034 posts, read 3,532,447 times
reading what you said~ prof told you that she would grade your work during her vacation. That she would be on sabbatical immediately after vacation was over. You chose not to turn in your work while she was working for the university and cannot understand why she isn't resolving your problem. Sorry, she bent over backwards to help you while she was available. Only alternatives I see are to receive an F or withdraw from course and retake. You must play by the rules that were laid out to you or suffer the consequences.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,216,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
It's clear NJBest and Zthat, that neither of you read my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where exactly in the post below did you say you "turned in all" your "coursework before the end of summer deadline"? I'm having trouble finding it.
wow. seems like you didn't read your own post, you didn't properly clarify NJBest's confusion until post #17 where you said it was handed in aug 28th

there is so much wrong with your attitude OP that it's amazing your prof hasn't told you to get lost

i'm sure she's regretting giving the INC. nonsense like this is why so many professors hate giving them, or just give mercy Ds or Cs instead

Quote:
I don't give a rat's arse about tenured professors' living by their own rules. [...]she doesn't have her student's interest in mind; to grant me a passing grade so that I can be awarded my masters degree in education
and you're getting a *teaching* degree with this attitude? i can't wait until you start getting work from students months late who think it should be passed based on their interest rather than properly graded based on its merit as time permits

Old 09-10-2013, 01:52 PM

523 posts, read 506,644 times
From all the posts I've read two things stick out: You were under extreme stress and you made an F. It's hard to go to school and with adult responsibilities and certain circumstances affect you as a student. Being under mental anguish and having border-line grades can make any of us do subpar work.

I truly believe you are a great student, but when the stress and other unfortunate factors affect you, mistakes can be made in what you need to do to complete all of your coursework. Maybe you should have requested an extension for some of your assignments, or asked for some extra credit for the sake of your grades ( I'm saying this only if this scenario is true), or seek some counseling to clear your mind.
Sorry for your plight. Hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:15 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
For those of you who are confused... An incomplete is not an F in a course. A professor hands out 1 or 2 incompletes per a semester to students with extenuating circumstances that were previously on track to outperform. It is typically reserved for students that have suffered a temporary loss of physical or mental capacity with the expectation that they will recover shortly.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

18,909 posts, read 12,513,229 times
Quote:

I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.

Did the professor do something wrong?

Yes she did. She didn't turn in my final grade by the summer deadline.

Did the university do something wrong?

Yes. A professor is obligated to turn in a final grade for a student who is enrolled in his/her course. That is a university policy.
I reread your original post. It isn't clear to me that you turned in your work. If you did, then you need to contact the professor, whatever else you do. Becoming agitated and going on the attack will not get you very far with this problem. Your professor has to come back for this term, correct? So you will be able to contact her when she does.

I would not leave email that indicates you are angry just now. You need to be on this person's good side. She can help you; you have no way to 'make' her do anything.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

20,590 posts, read 22,744,710 times
Quote:

I stated in my post clearly I turned in all of my coursework before the end of the summer deadline for Incomplete courses.

Did the professor do something wrong?

Yes she did. She didn't turn in my final grade by the summer deadline.

Did the university do something wrong?

Yes. A professor is obligated to turn in a final grade for a student who is enrolled in his/her course. That is a university policy.

I missed it again after reading it a third time>??

I would go to another university and never go back to this one. I would enroll in another class and ask my employer for tuition reimbursement.!!

ROFLMAO for a week....

PS I would also SUE the university that granted you the Bachelor degree because they FAILED you in oh so many ways.....

At the very least PLEASE tell us where you went for the undergrad degree so others can avoid the "institution of negelect."

Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,596,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your professor has to come back for this term, correct? So you will be able to contact her when she does.
The professor is on sabbatical. She is probably not coming back until Fall 2014.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 7,353,342 times
Tenure, shielding bad educators from the unemployment line.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,155,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Tenure, shielding bad educators from the unemployment line.
We're talking about a university here. Tenure is warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities