U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM

14,059 posts, read 9,787,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
All but two posters on this thread have my situation correct, so let me clarify for you;

1.I did not fail my last class in my graduate program. I took an Incomplete due to a nervous breakdown I had during the spring semester, of which the details are frankly none of your business and won't be. FYI: an Incomplete is not an F; it is an extension to finish a course.

2. I did fail the second half of my student teaching but that's not relevant to this thread's topic.

3. This thread's topic was my frustration over my professor's lack of communication and delay in turning in my final grade so that I can be awarded my masters in education which is part of the teaching program that I completed. It was not about my ability to teach, or multi-task graduate school with jobs, family, etc. It was also not about nervous breakdowns, or failing last classes in college programs. And it was NOT about being given a masters without a teaching license.

As for all the snarky, misguided and mean comments directed at me personally from 95% of the posters here; grow up. I'm always astonished by how far people go to flame other posters' threads with snarky, mean comments just because it's the internet and identities are hidden by usernames. Seriously, do you think all your negative comments have no effect? It shows how shallow and detached you are from reality if you think your behavior online is exempt from taking responsibility for your actions.
I do think people forget when they write on anonymous boards like this that they are dealing with real people, who have very real feelings. But you also need to keep in mind that you open yourself up to this kind of unfettered response. You simply aren't going to get unconditional support on this type of format. Although some of it has been said in not so nice ways, to include some even down right cruel, you might want to consider the substance of many of the posts. You have done some things that have created this situation, it is not primarily your professor's fault. At this point, what is done, is done. What you need to concentrate on is fixing the problem. So....

Have you contacted the ombudsman yet? If your school has one, that is your best course of action at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 AM

1,955 posts, read 3,627,707 times
Quote:
All but two posters on this thread have my situation correct, so let me clarify for you;

3. This thread's topic was my frustration over my professor's lack of communication and delay in turning in my final grade so that I can be awarded my masters in education which is part of the teaching program that I completed. It was not about my ability to teach, or multi-task graduate school with jobs, family, etc. It was also not about nervous breakdowns, or failing last classes in college programs. And it was NOT about being given a masters without a teaching license.

As for all the snarky, misguided and mean comments directed at me personally from 95% of the posters here; grow up. I'm always astonished by how far people go to flame other posters' threads with snarky, mean comments just because it's the internet and identities are hidden by usernames. Seriously, do you think all your negative comments have no effect? It shows how shallow and detached you are from reality if you think your behavior online is exempt from taking responsibility for your actions.
If I were your friend, I would say similar things to you in person as to those I posted here. I can't speak for others who posted however. I would have to go over and re-read the thread, but aside from maybe a few there were not 95% of the posters being over the top rude or snarky.

Sometimes its helpful to understand the whole context of a situation (in this case your seeking a Masters degree in education/teaching), hence bringing in other aspects of this situation. It often sheds light on the issue at hand and may be giving some insight as to what is really going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Had the professor submitted your actual grade, which would have included zeros for the missed assignments, what would it have been? If it was an F, then you failed the class. I think everyone understands what an incomplete is. The fact that the professor recorded an incomplete was great for you, and was very nice of her, but it's a semantic argument to claim you didn't fail. I also think the phrasing "I took an incomplete" is a bit of wordplay as well.

Not true. There are many times where some of the final work is not complete, so the instructor/professor will enter an I by the semester grading deadline (usually 96 hours after the completion of the class). once the student submits the completed work, they can go through the change of grade process, and enter the actual grade for the class. There is no indication that the OP was failing the class at the time of requesting the extension/incomplete for the class.

None of which has anything to do with your actual issue. The professor told you she was leaving for sabbatical in late August. You submitted assignments on August 28. Those two things alone prevent me from understanding how you rationalize that the professor is at fault. The only argument would be that August 28 is before "late August", which I can't imagine anyone making.
This. the professor told you she was going on sabbatical as of August 25. If I were you, I would have made darn well sure my work was submitted well before that date. But you admit you submitted it on August 28. You seem to not be unwilling to admit that you have played any role in this whole situation.

Quote:

My professor's failure to communicate with me caused me a lot of frustration and why I posted this vent/thread.
Possibly there is something you have not posted yet relating to your correspondence. But from everything you have posted, you were in communication with her, she told you when she would be able to review things, and when she was going on sabbatical. You chose to wait until 3 days after she started her sabbital to submit your assignments, and now are upset she has not responded. Were there emails you sent her in June and July that also went unanswered? Did you communicate with her during that time when you planned on submitting your assignments and she said that was OK? Or was it assumed you would submit them to her when she was in a particular location/during specific dates?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Quote:
I'd say yes, you are immature. As far as my prof's side of the story as I already stated, she knew the summer deadline date (emailed to her a month in advance by my program's transcript coordinator who cc's the students and professors on the grade deadline who are involved in Incompletes). She also stopped communicating with me for a month which was strange since she had email access during her summer travels, and if she was going to travel to a place without email access then she could have told me that in advance.

My professor's failure to communicate with me caused me a lot of frustration and why I posted this vent/thread.

OdysseusNY you and the other posters here un-necessarily slung personal attacks at me, despite the fact that I have very good reason to be frustrated and upset based on everything I've gone through the last semester of my grad school program. Yours and the others' viewpoints are very slanted, not seeing either side, or just the professor's side. But not my side. I guess you're entitled to choose sides. That said, if you want me to see YOUR side, stop the insults and snarky comments then MAYBE I would.

As it stands, I have a right to be upset with my professor despite what you and others here think. She stopped communication, missed a grade deadline and has gone silent despite the fact that she still has to turn in my final grade. A professor - even one on sabbatical - cannot blatantly refuse to turn in a student's final grade when that student has turned in assignments for the Incomplete before the the university's set grade deadline.

The posters here who say that grade deadlines are not set are wrong. By not turning in a student's grade on time, that professor prevents the student from getting financial aid for the next semester and registering for classes the next semester. So grade deadlines do serve a purpose. In my case, by delaying my final grade, my professor prevents me from officially graduating and thus being granted my masters in education which I need for specific education-related jobs that I want to apply for. In essence, the professor's actions prevent me from working in the education field in jobs that require masters degrees (and jobs that I want to apply for).

I consider this thread closed now, as all I'd be doing from this point on is posting responses to more snarky posters' comments.
Please don't regard this as being snarky. What did the professor do wrong? She told you her plans in advance. Was she supposed to put her plans on hold, until you were ready to turn in your work? Did you tell your professor what date she could expect to see your work? Not presenting your assignments in a timely manner, is what prevented you from working in the education field. Failing the student teaching portion of your course work is what prevented you from earning a license to teach. Responsibility, and accountability seem to be lacking on your part.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM

1,745 posts, read 1,572,805 times
I completely agree with the above comments. If your professor told you she was travelling to Alaska and Australia in August (which are both places where she could have experienced internet issues possibly) and that she was starting sabbatical beginning 8/25. Regardless of the fact that the college's grading deadline is 9/5, your professor was ceasing to be connected to the college for the period of 1 year beginning 8/25...meaning she needed to supply your grades to the college by that date.

Your professor also told you that she would be willing to look over your work and grade it while she was on vacation, which was occuring prior to 8/25 when she was beginning sabbatical. You waited until after she had returned and after the point that she severed her connection with the college for a year. Like some other posters have said, your professor may have been having a major medical procedure during that time or something like that where she can't grade your work.

I do see your point that your professor should have contacted you to let you know you were taking too long to get your work in. I feel that at this point, your incomplete should be recinded and you should be granted the F that you earned.

Because remember, professors don't give you grades, you earn them!

Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM

6,005 posts, read 13,180,092 times
Midwest Maven, I sympathize w/ you, really I do (been there, done that in terms of having to miss class due to personal issues), but I'm failing to see how he professor isn't communicating w/ you when the told you before hand that they would be on sabbatical. She communicated the necessary information beforehand, why does she need to take time from her personal vacation to answer to you? I'm seeing ZERO fault in the professor's actions here. She TOLD you the days she would be gone. If she was a poor communicator, she wouldn't have given you any sort of date and just vanished into thin here without a word. You NEED to be accountable for your actions here you turned in work late, turned it in after he told you she would be gone. Unless she explicitly said that this would be okay (did you have a contract in place?), this is your fault, not hers and it's foolish to keep trying to place the blame on your professor, especially after she extended you a great kindness and gave you an incomplete in the first place. She didn't have to, especially for an issue that can't really be proven (how do you prove you've had a mental breakdown? I could understand if you had a serious accident and were hospitalized for weeks, but unless you were hospitalized (no need to say if you wee or weren't obviously), it's a hard ailment to prove given how subjective it is). Truth be told, if I had been in your position, I would have turned in my work by the August 1st to give myself enough of a buffer in case something more needed to be done before she left on the 25th (I learned a while back never work right up to the deadline for this reason).

You really, REALLY need to be patient. I had a professor turn in grades two weeks past the deadline w/ no sabbatical to use as an excuse. You WILL very likely get a grade, maybe not today or tomorrow or even next week, but in due time. Until then, if you already have job leads for positions where you can use your degree even if you failed the student teaching portion of the program, I would follow up on those. If they ask or a transcript, explain the situation-I don't see how they would say no if you otherwise meet the job requirements but have this one incomplete. I'm not understanding the rush here, it's barely been a week since you first posted. PATIENCE! Why are you stressing yourself out more than need be given your recent history? Let it go for now, work on something else, and, if October rolls around with no word, speak to an ombudsman about the situation.

Last edited by eevee; 09-13-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,213,354 times
Quote:
That said, if you want me to see YOUR side, stop the insults and snarky comments then MAYBE I would.
the stark started in post 4 of this thread and is quoted below. you're the author

Quote:
It's clear NJBest and Zthat, that neither of you read my post.
Quote:
I don't give a rat's arse about tenured professors' living by their own rules.
the fact of the matter is that you got yourself into this mess. if you're smart, you'll work with the professor and department instead of against them

until you accept that, the whole situation is going nowhere for you. other posters trying to massage your hurt feelings won't change a thing. as long as you keep scapegoating the professor you'll be moving backwards not forwards

Old 09-14-2013, 01:41 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Right, cause we wouldn't want them to loose their university job and try to earn a living outside the class room.
You might want to learn about a university before you talk about it. Tenured professors spend most of their time outside the classroom.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 249 times
I know this is an old thread, but any updates??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities