Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,870,375 times

Advertisements

Someone in another forum indicated that the EdD is not very respected, even saying that holders of the EdD "want people to call them doctor."

Is this true??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,630,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Someone in another forum indicated that the EdD is not very respected, even saying that holders of the EdD "want people to call them doctor."

Is this true??
Yes.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,158,492 times
Are you a physician, dentist, or veterinarian? If not, then you ain't a doctor.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM

12,586 posts, read 8,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Not correct. The word "doctor" has nothing to do with medical, despite the many who wish to believe it.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,095,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Is this true??
It sounds like a comment from the peanut gallery. They are both terminal degrees, but they are different degrees and are pursued for different reasons. The majority of PhDs and EdDs I know (and I know a lot) want to be called by their first name unless they are in some type of formal or semi-formal setting in which an honorific is appropriate.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,411,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Is this a rule you made up in your head? Why would you call a dentist a doctor, but not a podiatrist, physical therapist, audiologist, or optometrist? I await the logic behind that.

Anyone with a doctoral degree can be called a doctor, but there are certain settings where it's appropriate or inappropriate. For example, it's appropriate to call a psychologist a doctor, but it may be inappropriate to call a counselor or social worker with a doctoral degree a doctor in a setting that has psychologists. This is because it could confuse patients. Psychologists are licensed at the doctoral level, but social workers and counselors are not. Another example would be nurse practitioners with a DNP. They are doctors in the academic sense, but they aren't licensed at the doctoral level. Calling them doctors in a hospital or clinic will confuse them with MDs and DOs.

Professors and researchers in an academic environment are often called doctors regardless of whether they have a PhD, PsyD, EdD, DBA, or some other doctoral degree. I haven't even finished my PhD, and I've had many people call me doctor even though I've told them not to. It's generally accepted that those with doctoral degrees, not just healthcare degrees, are called doctors.

Last edited by L210; 09-06-2017 at 12:03 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 726,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Is this a rule you made up in your head? Why would you call a dentist a doctor, but not a podiatrist, physical therapist, audiologist, or optometrist? I await the logic behind that.

Anyone with a doctoral degree can be called a doctor, but there are certain settings where it's appropriate or inappropriate. For example, it's appropriate to call a psychologist a doctor, but it may be inappropriate to call a counselor or social worker with a doctoral degree a doctor in a setting that has psychologists. This is because it could confuse patients. Psychologists are licensed at the doctoral level, but social workers and counselors are not. Another example would be nurse practitioners with a DNP. They are doctors in the academic sense, but they aren't licensed at the doctoral level. Calling them doctors in a hospital or clinic will confuse them with MDs and DOs.

Professors and researchers in an academic environment are often called doctors regardless of whether they have a PhD, PsyD, EdD, DBA, or some other doctoral degree.
Psychologists can also be licensed at the Master's Level.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Psychologists can also be licensed at the Master's Level.
In most states in the United States, psychologists cannot be licensed at the master's level. I think there are only a couple of states left that license psychologists at the master's level. However, there are psychological assistants/technicians/associates who are licensed at the master's level.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 AM

1,235 posts, read 726,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In most states in the United States, psychologists cannot be licensed at the master's level. I think there are only a couple of states left that license psychologists at the master's level. However, there are psychological assistants/technicians/associates who are licensed at the master's level.
In my state, there are practising psychologists/psycho analysts working with only a Master's Degree. Yepper.

The master's can be a terminal degree. ... Most states allow individuals to work as school counselors with less than a doctoral degree. Although you need a doctoral degree to be licensed as a counseling psychologist, you may achieve mental health licensure by studying counseling psychology at the master's level.
Psychology Master's Programs - Psychologist-License.com

http://www.psychologist-license.com/...sychology.html

Last edited by MyGoldenLife; 09-06-2017 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: clairty

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
In my state, there are practising psychologists/psycho analysts working with only a Master's Degree. Yepper.
A psychologist or psychoanalyst? A psychoanalyst is not the same as a psychologist. In New York, someone with a master's degree in anything can enroll in a psychoanalyst certification program. They aren't psychologists. But, like I said, I believe there are a couple of states left that license psychologists at the master's level.

Quote:

The master's can be a terminal degree. ... Most states allow individuals to work as school counselors with less than a doctoral degree. Although you need a doctoral degree to be licensed as a counseling psychologist, you may achieve mental health licensure by studying counseling psychology at the master's level.
Psychology Master's Programs - Psychologist-License.com

http://www.psychologist-license.com/...sychology.html
Someone with a master's degree in psychology who is licensed as a mental health counselor or professional counselor is legally not allowed to call himself or herself a psychologist because he or she is not. That would be the same as a physician assistant with a master's degree calling himself or herself a physician. Once again, you need a doctoral degree in order to be a licensed counseling psychologist or clinical psychologist in almost every state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities