Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:51 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
Wrong again.

I failed a separate component; the student teaching while taking this professor's class. So I was doing 2 things!

I didn't fail the professor's class either. I took an Incomplete to finish up coursework because I was stressed out which I am not going to defend or explain any further to you, as you don't seem to understand my situation. That's pretty clear.
This explains a lot......

Tenure does NOT mean that a teacher (or professor ) can not be fired....it's just a different process...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I don't give a rat's arse about tenured professors' living by their own rules.
I find it odd that you chose to participate in higher learning without giving a rats ass about how it works. This is very telling.

I wonder if the professor caught on to how disrespectful you are and is returning the favor.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
To the OP- while you are so angry at the professor and asking how she could do this to you- the professor is on sabbatical - maybe she is sick, maybe something else happened to her. She is on vacation.
Maybe she doesn't want to answer you if you are emailing her with such a poor attitude as you are displaying here.
You stated you would be at a dead end job if you don't get this masters degree. While the masters degree should lead to better employment, if you have the skills needed as well as the attitude needed, I highly doubt you can't make a livable wage with a bachelors degree. I think there is something else going on here.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:09 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
OP---

I haven't read through all of this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something.

First, I agree, tenure shouldn't have anything to do with the professor turning in your grades on time!

She IS getting PAID to do her job, so, I don't see where tenure has anything to do with it.

Is there a university onbudsman you can appeal to?

Is this a public university? If so, perhaps you can work an angle from there. I wouldn't know where to begin, but a little research and you could find a way to get their attention

Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Based on what you have written it appears that:

1. The professor has not done anything wrong.
2. The school has not done anything wrong.

So I don't know what a lawsuit would be about. It's very possible that you left out some information due to you being upset. I just want to clear some things up.

Did you meet the professor's requirements to receive your grade (for example, hand in all completed work)?

Did the professor promise to hand in your grade by a specific date?

Even if grades were due on September 5th, that doesn't really mean much. Tenured professors live by their own rules (and for good reason). Your best bet is to do whatever it takes to get in touch with your professor. Professors generally want to see students succeed.
Wrong.

She has sustained damages by not being able to apply for, nor accept employment in her chosen field because of lack of credentials. She is accruing damages in the amount of what her salary would be for the entire time that she cannot get a job because of the professor's negligence. Plus punitive damages Times (X3) three.

Go for it, I say. Sue the pants off of him.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Wrong.

She has sustained damages due to her own inability to pass her student teaching and this class.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Wrong.

She has sustained damages by not being able to apply for, nor accept employment in her chosen field because of lack of credentials. She is accruing damages in the amount of what her salary would be for the entire time that she cannot get a job because of the professor's negligence. Plus punitive damages Times (X3) three.

20yrsinBranson
How is taking an incomplete negligence on the professors part? The OP took an incomplete. It wasn't the professors choice.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
wow. seems like you didn't read your own post, you didn't properly clarify NJBest's confusion until post #17 where you said it was handed in aug 28th

there is so much wrong with your attitude OP that it's amazing your prof hasn't told you to get lost

i'm sure she's regretting giving the INC. nonsense like this is why so many professors hate giving them, or just give mercy Ds or Cs instead

and you're getting a *teaching* degree with this attitude? i can't wait until you start getting work from students months late who think it should be passed based on their interest rather than properly graded based on its merit as time permits
Yeah, I know I would have, heck I would have just failed the OP instead. I don't give mercy anything. And you are right just wait to the OP gets work from students that just fail to complete the assignment like they did. Apparently, they want to be the exception and not the rule.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:04 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
Wrong.

20yrsinBranson
Yeah, like that will hold up in court. If I was the professor, I would have just failed the OP. Professors don't have to give incompletes. It is the OP's responsibility to turn in whatever work is missing, if they are missing salary because of it then that is their fault, not the professor's.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Wrong.

20yrsinBranson
She flunked her student teaching. She can't work in the field now anyway. There are no grounds for a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities