Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But there is NO "pre-med" major. Exercise science is NOT "pre-med". People who major in ex. science can be athletic trainers, work in health clubs and do all sorts of things having nothing to do with the practice of medicine.
My son is at a school that sends many students to Med School. I think that students can major in anything they like, but if they want to go to Med School there is a Pre Med Curriculum that consists of the classes required for entrance to Med School. So Exercise Science could be Pre Med, as could any other major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
My undergrad was at a football heavy SEC school, I seen a lot what the university goes through to keep the players GPA up; they would never do this for anyone else.

Players have their own tutors, special conferences with professors, they get to retake exams when others do not, extra credit when other students do not get the chance, etc. This is not just rumor mill stuff, these are things I witnessed. They also have guidance as to which major and classes to take that road map it out to be an easy path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was a TA at the university of Minnesota in the 1970s. I TA'ed a special section of college football players in an Introductory Social Science Course as a grad student. Many were functionally illiterate. I was told by the class prof. to pass everyone, except in the most exceptional circumstances. I objected and all hell broke loose, including an interview with the coach, Murray Warmath.
I was in a Ph.D. program at Michigan in the '90s, then taught there for a few years post-Ph.D into the early 2000s. I had a lot of athletes as students in my classes both when I was a GSI (which is what Michigan calls TAs) and then as a lecturer. Many of the athletes were EXCELLENT students, especially the young women; they had had to learn to manage their time very, very well.

I taught maybe a dozen football players in all those years (the number is low because IIRC they could only take morning classes and I often taught in the afternoon). They DID have special tutors and guidance about what to major in, but that was ALL I ever saw. Not once, even when the athlete wasn't doing well in my class, did I get ANY pressure to make things easier. Quite the contrary! The athletic department was always asking for feedback on how their students were doing, if they had missed any classes, etc. I was expected to report athletes who skipped class, flunked an exam, or didn't turn in an assignment on time. I had some players who went on to the NFL (never had Tom Brady in a class, alas ) so they must have been good players that the team presumably needed, but again, I never got ANY pressure.

Of course my sample size is very small, so I'm not saying that changing grades etc. never happened, but I had thought there MIGHT be pressure on me to pass the football players -- and there wasn't.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
My son is at a school that sends many students to Med School. I think that students can major in anything they like, but if they want to go to Med School there is a Pre Med Curriculum that consists of the classes required for entrance to Med School. So Exercise Science could be Pre Med, as could any other major.
Some members of the public seem to think pre-med is a separate, extremely difficult "major". It is not. It really "grinds my gears" when I hear commentators on TV refer to a football player (that is usually the context) as a "pre-med" major. That was my entire point.

Add: Your son's college does NOT have a special "pre-med" major:
Office of Undergraduate Studies at Case Western Reserve University

Like many schools, they have a pre-health advisor.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Some members of the public seem to think pre-med is a separate, extremely difficult "major". It is not. It really "grinds my gears" when I hear commentators on TV refer to a football player (that is usually the context) as a "pre-med" major. That was my entire point.

Isn't that what I said?

I posted the following:

"My son is at a school that sends many students to Med School. I think that students can major in anything they like, but if they want to go to Med School there is a Pre Med Curriculum that consists of the classes required for entrance to Med School. So Exercise Science could be Pre Med, as could any other major."

There is a Pre Med curriculum. It isn't a major. He has a friend from high school who is there with him and she is planning on Med School. I think she is majoring in something non science related but she is taking the Pre Med Curriculum which consists of the classes that are required for Med School entrance.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:00 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Sorry I interrupted your argument with a post replying to the OP ...

Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:

What grinds me is when students and parents are presumptuous that they (or DD or DS) are going to be a doctor, dentist, or vet. The reality is a lot of people don't make it. Now if your brilliant, your odds increase exponentially. There are a whole lot of biology majors with crushed creams working as lab technicians all around the country.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
What grinds me is when students and parents are presumptuous that they (or DD or DS) are going to be a doctor, dentist, or vet. The reality is a lot of people don't make it. Now if your brilliant, your odds increase exponentially. There are a whole lot of biology majors with crushed creams working as lab technicians all around the country.
Agreed. My oldest DD was a bio major, had always planned to be a physical therapist, and went straight to PT school. The younger one thought about med school, went to public health school instead. She says many of her classmates in undergrad bio are now, 3-4 years later, are going into nursing. The pay is certainly better than lab teching.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Isn't that what I said?

I posted the following:

"My son is at a school that sends many students to Med School. I think that students can major in anything they like, but if they want to go to Med School there is a Pre Med Curriculum that consists of the classes required for entrance to Med School. So Exercise Science could be Pre Med, as could any other major."

There is a Pre Med curriculum. It isn't a major. He has a friend from high school who is there with him and she is planning on Med School. I think she is majoring in something non science related but she is taking the Pre Med Curriculum which consists of the classes that are required for Med School entrance.
No, you said his school has a "pre-med curriculum". It has no such thing. The pre-HEALTH advisers will advise the kids on what courses are required for admission to a particular program, which they could also find by looking at a few med/dental/vet/PT/public health school course catalogs. My older daughter wanted to go to PT school, so she deliberately took courses that the U of CO required of their PT students, w/o any advice from a "pre-health adviser" (though she did have an adviser and the advisory process was stronger at her college than at my other daughter's). Taking biology, chemistry, etc as an art history major (which my personal physician did) or as an aeronautical engineering major (as one of the docs I work for did) is not "pre-med curriculum". Each school also has slightly different requirements. PT school at the U of CO has more requirements than some med schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry I interrupted your argument with a post replying to the OP ...
Actually, it was a good thing!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:

True. I thought you were were picking on Rolle

Some schools will have pre-architecture majors (I was pre-architecture at my 2nd of 3 schools, there was an architecture university 5 miles away). Or pre-pharmacy. Or even pre-law. But never pre-med.

Arizona does have a pre-med and pre-law (and pre-dental, pre-optometry, etc) MINOR. Only minors though, but Arizona does have a medical, pharmacy and law school

Old 09-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
No, you said his school has a "pre-med curriculum". It has no such thing. The pre-HEALTH advisers will advise the kids on what courses are required for admission to a particular program, which they could also find by looking at a few med/dental/vet/PT/public health school course catalogs. My older daughter wanted to go to PT school, so she deliberately took courses that the U of CO required of their PT students, w/o any advice from a "pre-health adviser" (though she did have an adviser and the advisory process was stronger at her college than at my other daughter's). Taking biology, chemistry, etc as an art history major (which my personal physician did) or as an aeronautical engineering major (as one of the docs I work for did) is not "pre-med curriculum". Each school also has slightly different requirements. PT school at the U of CO has more requirements than some med schools.

Actually, it was a good thing!
There is absolutely a curriculum that is recommended for students who want to go to Medical and Dental School.

http://case.edu/ugstudies/pre-profes...0FAQs_2011.pdf

At any rate there is no need to doubt that an athlete is capable of completing the requirements to enter Medical School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities