Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times

Advertisements

I have a BA in political science from a solid state college . My experience includes a job as a coldcaller at a brokerage firm, basically getting potential clients to attend investment seminars. Also during this time I studied investment such as securities, bonds, annuities and options contracts so that I would have some basic investment knowledge when I talked to potential clients. I have also worked on several political campaigns on the east coast , with the work varying from grunt level to calling
big contributors. I have 2 real estate licenses, those being the basic salesman's license and a broker's license. Right now I am working part time in real estate but I would like to find something else. I loved politics but there are so few jobs that pay well and there is a lot of competition. I would like to hear from others with history /political science degrees how you used your degree or if you are still looking for a satisfying job and your ideas about what that job might be. Part of me would like to write about politics and economics .I have long been interested in the interconnectedness of politics and economics but I am not sure I have enough economic knowledge to write confidently. Has anyone here done this type of writing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 04:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,040 times
I have a cousin who graduated with a poly sci degree in the early 2000s He did actually work /intern a bit for a few minor campaigns but as you said the pay is not that great and the jobs never last that long. His "real" job, the job he is doing right now is a sales/marketing representative for a certain company.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I got my PhD in American history in the 1970s. Luckily, I doubled majored and had a teaching certificate that saved my butt. Finally, I took some computer classes part time at the local state university, got a certificate in "business programming" and launched a career in IT. I've been doing that for the last 26 years.

History, especially local history, remains my avocation, and when I retire in a few years, I will devote much more time to it. I don't regret majoring in history because the critical thinking, writing, and logic skills that I learned have proven invaluable, but I would recommend that anybody thinking of going into history do a double major to add some "hard" skills to your resume.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
My brother got a degree in history in the early 70s. He had a career in human resources. He's still a history buff.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I went the Madoff route (just not as cool, and will leave the industry on a better note); into the finance industry.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
How I used my BS Social Studies Education/Political Science/Econ:

Factory laborer
Management in above factory
Management for a short-line railroad
Naval Aviator
Teacher

Linda_d mentioned a teaching certificate. I would highly recommend that rather than a generic BA in almost anything. What can you do with a BA in Math? Or Econ? Except get a Master's? I've lost count of how many new teachers I've worked with over the years with degrees in those examples, plus English and other disciplines, who had to teach on a Provisional Certificate while taking courses for certification. What has been mind-boggling is that many had wanted to teach all along but still got a BA.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 47,945 times
I'm currently studying political science and history at a liberal arts college. I plan to become a journalist and a middle or secondary school teacher either in the US or abroad.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
I've known several poli sci majors who went on to be quite successful in finance. People with master's degrees in IR-type programs in particular seem to have done well.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I know one history grad who went to law school and another one who became a police officer.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:19 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times
A little more background about myself. I was in a grad program (MA in poly sci ) at a large university. After 1 semester I dropped out. I think I was overwhelmed by the difference between undergrad and grad study and the academic politics that went with it. To top it off I didn't think my grad profs were better than my undergrad profs and I was paying a lot for this. Over the years I have learned so much about poly sci on my own.I have read a lot of history(much more than in school) since I was a kid. When I was about 11 or 12 I remember my brother talking a lot about studying the war between Germany and Russia(WW2) in a college history class and I was fascinated by how big the conflict was. I have studied this area a lot since. If money for travel wasn't an issue my dream occupation would be to travel Russia and interview people about what they remember about the war. Off the wall I know!! but I would love to hear from those with history and poly sci degrees who are doing things a little outside the box. More realistically(since I can't speak Russian ha!) I think a lot about writing about politics. With the internet anyone can write about politics and have it seen. So far I haven't had the courage to try.

BTW all the responses have been great. Thank you and please keep them coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities