Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You know there are some very good state schools.
That's what I''m saying, he/she can't get into good private schools that his/her poor/rich friends can, though all did the hard work and performed at the same level. They can go to their dream schools with financial aid and trust funds but he/she has to give up dreams because he/she is not rich or poor enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
That's what I''m saying, he/she can't get into good private schools that his/her poor/rich friends can, though all did the hard work and performed at the same level. They can go to their dream schools with financial aid and trust funds but he/she has to give up dreams because he/she is not rich or poor enough.
So what you're saying is, life isn't always fair. And this is news, how?

I say again: if the student wants to remain a dependent, he plays in the established rules. It takes all of 3 years to get established as an independent, where they would consider NONE of the parent's income. He doesn't want to wait? Well, I want a pony. I guess neither of us get what we want.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
All true.

But it's a private school. They can select whoever they want however they want.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
I think this is a backdoor way of saying "Yea, I agree."

Old 09-22-2013, 01:33 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post

I say again: if the student wants to remain a dependent, he plays in the established rules. It takes all of 3 years to get established as an independent, where they would consider NONE of the parent's income. He doesn't want to wait? Well, I want a pony. I guess neither of us get what we want.
After all the hard work and achieving at the same level, middle class student has to either settle for state school or wait three years to be declared poor. Well, established rules suck. His rich and poor friends are getting ponies, why can't he get one? Why can't we establish an educational system where merit is an only currency.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
I've worked for 4 Fortune 500 companies and not one had a CEO from the Ivy's or Stanford. I work in the energy sector and they were/are Pascal (France), LSU, Rice and Missou-Rolla. Aside for Pascal, none of these are overly selective but have very tough engineering programs. IMHO, it is not the school but what you do with your education that determines the route to the C suite. FYI, the "heir-apparents" at the last two companies both graduated from Alabama.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I've worked for 4 Fortune 500 companies and not one had a CEO from the Ivy's or Stanford. I work in the energy sector and they were/are Pascal (France), LSU, Rice and Missou-Rolla. Aside for Pascal, none of these are overly selective but have very tough engineering programs. IMHO, it is not the school but what you do with your education that determines the route to the C suite. FYI, the "heir-apparents" at the last two companies both graduated from Alabama.
From The Value Of An Ivy League Education.

In summary, 11% of CEO's are from Ivy's.

" A 1999 study by Rand, Cornell and Brigham Young University indicated that Ivy League graduates earned as much as 39% more than those who went to second-tier schools, but Princeton professor and economist Alan Krueger and his fellow researcher Stacy Berg Dale released a study the same year with seemingly opposite findings. They found that when a student performed high enough to enter an Ivy League school, but instead went to a second-tier school, they earned just as much money as their Ivy League counterparts. This study was released again in 2007 with updated data and it came to the same conclusion as the original study."

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
there are more hott girls at your 30,000 student undergrad state university than there are at your 6,000 undergrad student ivy simply because there are more girls. so whats your point? also "the ivies + stanford" are not the composition of the top of the list in case you didn't notice. i don't remember where rice is but i think its pretty high up there, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
From The Value Of An Ivy League Education.

In summary, 11% of CEO's are from Ivy's.

" A 1999 study by Rand, Cornell and Brigham Young University indicated that Ivy League graduates earned as much as 39% more than those who went to second-tier schools, but Princeton professor and economist Alan Krueger and his fellow researcher Stacy Berg Dale released a study the same year with seemingly opposite findings. They found that when a student performed high enough to enter an Ivy League school, but instead went to a second-tier school, they earned just as much money as their Ivy League counterparts. This study was released again in 2007 with updated data and it came to the same conclusion as the original study."
yea, except that student who wouldn't have been able to attend even a cheap state college without the generous financial aid the top school provided them (but instead went to a second-tier school)
again, you can pick a specific sample to reach a specific conclusion all day.

jeez i wish they would let me post that stuffwhitepeoplelike link....

Last edited by brocco; 09-23-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yea, except that student who wouldn't have been able to attend even a cheap state college without the generous financial aid the top school provided them (but instead went to a second-tier school)
again, you can pick a specific sample to reach a specific conclusion all day.

jeez i wish they would let me post that stuffwhitepeoplelike link....
Me?? You like to leap to conclusions. Alan Krueger (Princeton professor and economist) simply said smart motivated students who could have chosen an Ivy (because they are bright) end up in high places. So according to Krueger's data, it wasn't the Ivy education that got them on top but the Ivy caliber brain power. That seems logical to me.

That said, your logic is flawed. A bright Ivy caliber student that is poor is not going to pay for college at Yale or at Flipsh_t State U. Again, they don't teach Calc, stats, or biology "better" at an UG Ivy. Would you agree?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Me?? You like to leap to conclusions. Alan Krueger (Princeton professor and economist) simply said smart motivated students who could have chosen an Ivy (because they are bright) end up in high places. So according to Krueger's data, it wasn't the Ivy education that got them on top but the Ivy caliber brain power. That seems logical to me.

That said, your logic is flawed. A bright Ivy caliber student that is poor is not going to pay for college at Yale or at Flipsh_t State U. Again, they don't teach Calc, stats, or biology "better" at an UG Ivy. Would you agree?
the state university doesn't have the funds or endowment to fund the poorer students education (and living expenses while studying), hency why the top schools are such great institutions even with their high sticker price. the study omitted a segment of the population by only focusing on "ivy caliber" students who did go on to other colleges. yes the logic makes sense, but the author created the conclusion he sought to reach by pinpointing a very specific population to study.

and no, when one says "you" it does not always refer to "you" specifically. "you" is also second person plural. context would have told you that, especially with the "again" comparing the two different examples (yes that time i meant "you" specifically).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities