Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:38 PM

285 posts, read 1,203,238 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2013.

Okay Im currently taking Learning Support Class in math again I had to take Learning Support in Reading and English as well but I passed both of those last school year. At that time I was also taking LS Math. Math is my weakest subject and always had been , no tutoring has helped during high school and middle school.

In LS math there are 15 modules, that you have to complete and you have to complete the modules within 3 semesters and then take the COMPASS exit test. Long story short Im taking this math class and this is my last chance to complete the whole class this is my 3rd semester. Im on module 9 right now getting ready to take the test next week. Im not going to make it this semester it took me 2 semester to complete complete modules 1-7.
The whole math class is mostly done online I have a class that I have a real instructor and have to go into class, but all of the work is done online, you have to pass a certain grade in order to move on in mymathlab.com . Its not like the traditional math classes where you take the test on a chapter and your teachers move on to the next chapter it doesnt work like that.

I dont know what Im going to do now, I cant believe only 1 stupid class is holding up my education, my life in jeopardy! All I want is a AS in Communications which only requires only 1 math class for the major! : (
Even though Ill be 23 next year I shouldve never taken a year and a half off. Im feeling real down/depressed right now.

This just makes me want to quit school and just learn things for myself and intern and work hard from the bottom up. Even though I would like to have a career in the Entertainment Industry behind the scenes you would have to start from the bottom anyways degree or no degree.

I just dont know what to do education wise and time is ticking! : (

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-05-2018 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 AM

12,067 posts, read 23,128,957 times
Your college does not have in person math tutoring?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 AM

50,193 posts, read 35,879,336 times
When I had trouble in statistics, I hired a tutor (a professional, not a student), and it made a world of difference. Find the money however you have to, if it will make that much difference in your future.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 AM

285 posts, read 1,203,238 times
yes there are tutors but tutors or no tutors I wont finish the course in 2 months.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM

12,067 posts, read 23,128,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
yes there are tutors but tutors or no tutors I wont finish the course in 2 months.

The point of my question is this: Have you been using these in person tutors for the last three semesters?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,390,102 times
You mention dropping out and just learning things by yourself... what is your history regarding learning things for yourself? What did you teach yourself during the year and a half you took off? Did you learn how to be really good at a tough game?

Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,343,555 times
You must use the tutors and at least try to pass. Give this class most of your attention and ditch extracurricular activities. Focus! You can do it!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,652,645 times
That's five modules each semester. If the semester is fifteen weeks, that's three weeks per module. What, exactly, is holding you up? Is it the amount of work in each module or is it that you are not understanding the concepts?

Are you not allowed to retake the "class"?

I'm not completely understanding this learning model, so it's difficult to advise you. I'm pretty sure, though, your life is not in jeopardy (although, it feels that way).

Old 10-13-2013, 10:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,823,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
This just makes me want to quit school and just learn things for myself and intern and work hard from the bottom up. Even though I would like to have a career in the Entertainment Industry behind the scenes you would have to start from the bottom anyways degree or no degree.

I just dont know what to do education wise and time is ticking! : (
Maybe you should quit school. If you cannot pass a remedial math class you may not be college material. I know that is not what you want to hear but it might be the truth.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,652,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Maybe you should quit school. If you cannot pass a remedial math class you may not be college material. I know that is not what you want to hear but it might be the truth.
I think this advice, although relevant in some cases, is premature for this poster. There are many reasons students stumble and become discouraged in math classes.

Some more digging is in order before we toss in the towel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities