Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times

Advertisements

Not Liberty. Liberty University is an expensive and less competitive fundamentalist Christian university that pretty much accepts anyone who applies. I'd avoid it like the plague.

The OP is a superior student. What on earth would he want with Liberty? If he did want an Evangelical Christian college I'd suggest Eastern Wheaton (Ill) or Gordon. However I don't know anything about sports or spirit at any of the Since the OP did not mention a desire for a Christian college - I'm going to assume that isn't a desire.

I'll add a few that are known for spirit - UVA. Purdue. U of Georgia Athens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Notre Dame

Really, any Big 10 school is going to give you that atmosphere, but a lot of smaller schools are as well. What size school do you want? Do you want to live in a city or doesn't it matter. You want to apply to your instate flagship at least.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'm not using Michigan as the academic gold standard of anything. Who said I was?

I merely gave the poster several good schools with a lot of "spirit". That's what he asked for.
OSU and Syracuse are also highly competitive universities that are full of school spirit.

Penn State is a bit less competitive and WVU could be a good safety school

Apparently the OP agrees, as he sent me a thank you note and gave me rep. I answered his question, not mine.
Might as well go to the college I posted and save $4,000 than go to WVU

Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM

550 posts, read 965,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Notre Dame

Really, any Big 10 school is going to give you that atmosphere, but a lot of smaller schools are as well. What size school do you want? Do you want to live in a city or doesn't it matter. You want to apply to your instate flagship at least.
Notre Dame. I forgot about that school. Should be on the list. Again, the big question would be 'fit.'

Old 11-05-2013, 02:28 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,005 times
if the op is black, the name kind of makes me think he might be, he should not be settling for michigan, he should be looking at duke, stanford and ivy league schools.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:29 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,005 times
the op is also from illinois. if he wants rah rah, school spirit, just go to u of illinois-urbana champaign, fighting illini.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:21 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times
Boston College or Boston University but they are both pretty expensive

Old 11-05-2013, 09:24 PM

67 posts, read 189,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
the op is also from illinois. if he wants rah rah, school spirit, just go to u of illinois-urbana champaign, fighting illini.
I should specify the sort of school spirit I meant, I didn't really mean the "Rah Rah" school spirit, I mainly meant it is not some boring old campus with nothing ever going on because everyone hates where they are, I probably could have worded it better.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:26 PM

67 posts, read 189,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
if the op is black, the name kind of makes me think he might be, he should not be settling for michigan, he should be looking at duke, stanford and ivy league schools.
Im black and white (also leroy Jenkins isn't my name,it is from a youtube video that was popular some time ago my real name is Owen)

Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 AM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
So if it isn't the rah-rah college sports thing that you're looking for, basically look at schools that are in big cities or big schools in college towns. Avoid small liberal arts colleges in the country or suburbs. Some schools with strong science programs in vibrant settings will be the familar brand name schools: Columbia, Harvard, MIT, Cornell, UC Berkely, Texas, USC, Michigan, Georgia Tech, etc.

Several others offer fine science programs but their locations might not work for you: Wesleyan (very strong in astronomy but in a small town), U of Chicago (strong in most sciences but Hyde Park can be sort of dull), Harvey Mudd (Claremont CA is uber-LA suburban), or Rose-Hulman Inst. of Technology (tops in the US for undergraduate engineering programs but it is in --drumroll please -- Terre Haute Ind. Need I say more?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities