Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,722,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallary View Post
Is their any careers for someone who like nature, gardening, computers, internet, videogames, and tech? I am introverted and being around alot of people isn't really my cup of tea. That's why I choose mostly solo interests.
You can blog about those topics and possibly earn a living from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:38 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,814,226 times
Quote:
Is their any careers for someone who like nature, gardening, computers, internet, videogames, and tech?
At the same time? No.

nature: Forestry, Botany, Natural Resources, etc.
Gardening: Landscape architecture, horticulture, soil science (a degree at UConn), Molecular biology
Computers/Internet: IT, MIS, programming
gaming: marketing, programming, management
tech: engineering, math

But, how did I choose what to study? I don't know, you'd have to ask 8-10 year old me.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 PM

531 posts, read 499,327 times
Quote:
Is their any careers for someone who like nature, gardening, computers, internet, videogames, and tech?
Except for videogames, landscape architecture would be worth a look. These days, it uses a lot of computer-based design.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,428,081 times
Quote:
Is their any careers for someone who like nature, gardening, computers, internet, videogames, and tech? I am introverted and being around alot of people isn't really my cup of tea. That's why I choose mostly solo interests.

I was thinking about truck driving also. Still need to learn how to drive though. Also can you be reserved and work in healthcare? Something working with babies?
A biostatistician? There is also demand coming from biology researchers for GIS services. You would stand out as a biologists with these skills since the job wouldn't have to be outsourced. Currently, some biology researchers are getting their mapping done by a geospatial intelligence organization. They do things like map the movement pattern of herds and predators.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,154,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Whatever you do don't choose a major you can't stand/don't like just because it offers a high salary. Even if you finish the degree you most likely won't ever work in that field.
QFT. If you hate something, you won't do well in it either in school or in the workplace.

Quote:
True, but I would at least like a 4 year degree in something. I would be the first in my family to have one.
Majors/careers using nature, gardening: biology, botany, environmental science, agronomy (using plants for food, fiber, fuel, etc), forestry, landscape architecture. If you like dealing with animals, there's zoology, animal husbandry, veterinary technology, veterinary medicine.

Majors using computers, Internet, tech, would be primarily IT or engineering leading to careers in: computer programming (applications, systems, mobile), networking, database administration, hardware technology, system engineering, computer support services, network security design, implementation, administration, etc, etc.

Since you are going to go to a CC first, I would suggest that you fill your gen-ed requirements first (English, social science, math/science/tech, arts courses) plus take a computer apps course that gives you a working knowledge of MS Office, and then practice with WORD and EXCEL until you know most of the features well. Knowing WORD and EXCEL well can get you an admin assistant job no matter what your major. You can get a part time office job while still in school if you know these two programs.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,780,760 times
A word of warning. I was a non people person that went into a natural resource science (think forestry, fisheries, zoology, etc). Every profession is a people profession. You're dealing with people all the time, even when you're out there bird banding, electroshocking, or doing a check up on an owl with a broken wing. I found that out the hard way

Old 11-04-2013, 02:42 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,814,226 times
On thing computer-ish and nature-ish is civil engineering.

Yes there are civil engineers who design roads and bridges, but civil also works out grading for lots and drainage, and yes, designs parking lots. There are two consultants who work between a building's shell and the property lines: the landscape architect and the civil engineer. Might be worth looking into.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
Default What to study in College?

College time is a very crucial period for a student. They get much fluctuated at this time and even if can't take proper decision to move forward in their life. They should be given proper guidance to make their career.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:09 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,136,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Whatever you do, don't major in English - or history - or sociology - or any other softology that won't get you a job.

Pick something that you can get a job with like engineering, nursing, business, STEM.

You can always play around with your "passions" on weekends and in the evenings.
This is not entirely true. Don't get into tremendous debt for ANY degree (except perhaps medical school), but an English major is not doomed to eternal unemployment:

The Best Argument for Studying English? The Employment Numbers - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Quote:

Immediately after school, English and History majors experienced 9.8 percent and 9.5 percent unemployment, respectively. For economics and political science, meanwhile, the figures are 10.4 percent and 11.1 percent. Score one for the lit nerds. Meanwhile, in computer science, which is regularly talked about as if it's the single most practical major a young person can choose these days, graduates are still staring at 8.7 percent joblessness. (Worth emphasizing, here: none of these figures are particularly good.)

Old 11-09-2013, 12:52 AM

366 posts, read 979,264 times
Ideally, you should study what you truly love.

Reality? Most people either study whichever gives them the best job/money or follow the crowd just because they don't know what to do in life.

I personally study what I'm studying now because I'm intellectually interested in these classes. Though sometimes s*** happens when you are required to take courses to fulfill prerequisites that don't interest you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities