Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 11:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,077,705 times

Advertisements

You need to think carefully about what you want from your career.
-Do you want to make lots of $ (or the potential to)?

-What kind of hours/stress are you willing to deal with?

-Do you need to do something that you really enjoy/are passionate about?

-Job stability
These are all questions you should be asking yourself before asking others what degree you should go for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormandySR2 View Post
Well, I already have a 4-year degree, so I'm not sure I want to go through the whole undergrad thing again. A graduate degree seems to be the logical route, many of which can be completed in 2 years.

I'm looking into an MS because one of my main interests is computing. Though in terms of a steady career, it seems like the way to go is something that involves healthcare and technology. An MHA (Masters in Health Administration) seems sensible, but my original studies seem so far from that.
There are lots of careers in tech that could make use of the skills of someone with your background. I'd try to narrow down what you really want to do. Do you want to code, work in marketing, technical write, etc. Get an idea for what you want and just fill the small tech skills gap. It shouldn't be hard to do.

I'd also advocate to start doing some blogging or any sort of tech journalism that you can to start showing an interest in the field.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,467,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
It is against the law to back to school for a graduate degree in the sciences if you earned a BA in the arts (journalism).
What?

Quote:
An MHA (Masters in Health Administration) seems sensible, but my original studies seem so far from that.
This would probably be a disaster if you don't already have lower-level experience in the healthcare industry or at least see management experience.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,880,272 times
Quote:
I completely regret my decision in getting a degree in the arts (journalism) and have been thinking about going back to school for a graduate degree in the sciences. Is this even possible? Or did I basically ruin my life and lock myself into the arts forever?
Go to the schools and ask. Sometimes you can take challenges in the subjects you're weak in.

But it seems you need a passion or something you will LIKE. IMO.

There's a million things you can do with journalism degree. If you like computers and have TRAINING, you could be a tech writer or user interface trainer etc etc etc.

"Work" will always just be "work" if you don't love it.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,808,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
It is against the law to back to school for a graduate degree in the sciences if you earned a BA in the arts (journalism).

This is the funniest thing I've read on this site today.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM

43 posts, read 95,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This is the funniest thing I've read on this site today.
I know right? I was like LOL what!?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-03-2013, 04:33 PM

49 posts, read 72,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You need some imagination. A person who is a skilled writer can do quite well in the world as long as he is willing to think entrepreneurially. I'm 51, haven't picked up a paycheck from anyone in twenty years, and earn in the six figures.
What do you do by the way? I have an English degree and would like to find a way to work from home and support myself financially.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mine View Post
What do you do by the way? I have an English degree and would like to find a way to work from home and support myself financially.
Well, I began in advertising as a copywriter (A good copywriter, by the way, can always feed his family). I pushed myself to master the craft, winning any number of awards for my work. I was quickly promoted into an Associate Creative Director slot, handling mid-sized clients. Then I started my own firm and sold it ten years later. Since then, I have really enjoyed life as a brand consultant, a hired gun for 6-8 firms around the country, helping develop overall business strategy.

So you have to start somewhere and pay your dues. But once you're there, you learn everything you can as fast as you can. Use that liberal arts education to soak up information. Master new things. Have lots of conversations. Ask a zillion questions. Read everything you can get your hands on, from challenging fiction to the Wall Street Journal. Become a Renaissance man of sorts, conversant in a lot of different disciplines.

One of my strengths, for example, is the financial industry. I've done everything from local banks and credit unions to the superregionals. I've done de novo banks, mergers, acquisitions, investment products, mortgages, etc. etc. etc. To do my job better, I researched the financial industry. Acquired a general knowledge of the biz, including regulations, how transactions work, you name it. So last year, I was in a client meeting for a regional bank. I got to talking to the CEO at dinner, and we had a pretty detailed discussion about loan loss provision, etc. So the guy asked me, "So how long have you been in banking?" "Never," I replied. "You're kidding. You know more about banking than most of my middle-level managers."

The point of that story? A liberal arts education teaches you to learn. So the more you put that skill to work, the more you'll be able to capitalize off that ability in your career.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,406,163 times
Quote:
I completely regret my decision in getting a degree in the arts (journalism) and have been thinking about going back to school for a graduate degree in the sciences. Is this even possible? Or did I basically ruin my life and lock myself into the arts forever?
I assume you are going back to increase employment opportunities. Unfortunately, BS/MS in "sciences" will not do it. BS/MS in chemistry, biology, physics, botany, etc. have very limited opportunities since at least the mid 1990's. Even getting a PhD will not improve your chances that much given the sheer number of PhDs.

Computer science is not really a field where a degree is any more useful than just pure luck. I would pick up a "learn X-language programming in 21 days" book and work through that. You would likely learn whether you like the filed or not. If you do, start doing some work on a freebie basis, then contract, and then work your way up. You can pick up a few courses here and there as needed to get a job.

If you want a real employment, you would need to get an engineering degree. It's unlikely you would be able to enter an MS degree in any engineering field. So, a BS in engineering would be doable. You should get credit of about 1 yr for your BA since engineering students are required to take lib arts classes and writing classes. You would have to see what you like in engineering, the most job-secure but not necessarily best paying fields are environmental engineering, civil engineering, and chemical engineering.

Honestly, if I were in your position, I would pick up a book on technical writing, get a book on programming, may be a physics and chem book, and work through those. Then I would look to be a technical writer and a programmer.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:39 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,319,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by this_mine View Post
Quote:
I'd like to recommend speech-language pathology. You might like it. The pay is great. The stability is great. You can work in schools, clinics, hospitals, with the elderly, with stroke patients, with those with brain injuries, with kids, etc.

You could also see how if you would like a few certificates, instead. Maybe, you'd like being a Broadcast Journalism teacher in a high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities