Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,980,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You have an unsubstantiated sense of grandeur, and a chip on your shoulder.

You must be fun at parties and to have as a neighbor.

You bring race and veteran status into this; has to be the first time I have ever heard race and veteran status being used as a reason not to be called by your first name.
No, I just don't familiarity....I have no chip on my shoulder.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Can you go up to the Profs after the first day of class and introduce yourself, saying "Hello Professor X, I am Mr. X" and see if they get the hint? But I don't know any teams IRL workplace, where the leader/mgr. refers to team members as Mr/Mrs.. Will this also be an issue for you OP?
actually, I work in war zones--well, did, before I left to attend Columbia--and I normally call my boss Mr. or by his ex military rank.

They don't call me Mr...but they were paying me 250K a year so it's ok....conversely, I am paying my prof's salary.

You can call me whatever you want if you are paying me more than 200k a year..one boss even called me a***^&..that's ok...for 40k I would demand I be called Mr. and my boss would be called, boss, chief, sir, or Mr.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't see how wanting to be called Mr. Smith is any different than Augustine Josephina being asked to be called AJ in class. Or Jonathon wanting to be called Jon. Or Robert wanting to be called Bob. It is their preference.

I have been a Ms. as long as anyone ever used the term Ms. (40 some years). If I want to be called Ms. Last Name why should I have to fight for it just because some people think that a married woman has to be called Mrs. (BTW, even though I have been married 36 years I have my birth name not my husband's last name so Mrs. is never correct).

More power to you Mr. Datafeed.
Thank you Mam.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM

44,940 posts, read 59,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I am not black...I am white....I was not a Naval officer....I was just an E-4...but the Sr. O's in the Navy address the Junior O's as Mr. and the Junior as Sir or by their rank.
That's Navy protocol, has been since at least WW I when the ranks finally stabilized. It's formalized somewhere.

Senior Chiefs can also be addressed as Mister under some circumstances.

I think you're building a mountain out of a molehill but it's your decision. I had professors address by my first name, by my last name and as Mister. It depended on the instructor. Those are the ones who even bothered to learn the names of their students, which most didn't.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 11-04-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 07:46 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,179,064 times
Quote:
Hi,

Is it ok to ask that your Prof call you Mr. and your last name? I do not like being addressed by my first name.
First off, I cannot understand why your simple question has generated so much controversy.

I think you do have the right to request you be addressed as you prefer.

Secondly, I thank you for your service and I am saddened that I am the first one in this thread to do so.

I would expect that even a wet behind the ears 18 year old should have this wish honored, but a 30 something combat veteran has earned the right to be called Mr. more than the Professor has earned his title...

Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,690,070 times
Quote:
I am not black...I am white....I was not a Naval officer....I was just an E-4...but the Sr. O's in the Navy address the Junior O's as Mr. and the Junior as Sir or by their rank.
I was in the Navy for 12 years and would not go around insisting on some professor to call me "Mr."; you are setting yourself up to be a very awkward person to be around. I went to college after the Navy also.

It is your choice, and I support it 100%; my opinion is that you do have a sense of grandeur that you need to have filled, and making a professor call you "Mr." seems to satisfy it at the moment.

You remind me of those veterans who keep thinking everything should be like the military, and end up being hard to get along with. We had one fresh out of the Navy at my factory I worked while in college, he got terminated due to this attitude he brought over from the military (factory was full of veterans as well).

Again, i support you to be called whatever you want, I just disagree with it, I think you need to lighten up in life a little.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
No, I just don't familiarity....I have no chip on my shoulder.
You hang too much on a first name; you will see that most employers call someone by their first name.

Seriously, with this attitude, you are looking to ruffle a few feathers along your way in life for no reason, the last person anyone wants to work with, or even respect, is someone that seems like they have a stick up their rear.

You call it familiarity, never mind the fact you are the only one who does so. Have you given it a thought that perhaps you are incorrect, and should at least accommodate a social norm?

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,366,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I don't see how wanting to be called Mr. Smith is any different than Augustine Josephina being asked to be called AJ in class. Or Jonathon wanting to be called Jon. Or Robert wanting to be called Bob. It is their preference.

I have been a Ms. as long as anyone ever used the term Ms. (40 some years). If I want to be called Ms. Last Name why should I have to fight for it just because some people think that a married woman has to be called Mrs. (BTW, even though I have been married 36 years I have my birth name not my husband's last name so Mrs. is never correct).

More power to you Mr. Datafeed.
I'm not sure why you quoted me to say this when I clearly said I would call him Mr lastname.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,997,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I would expect that even a wet behind the ears 18 year old should have this wish honored, but a 30 something combat veteran has earned the right to be called Mr. more than the Professor has earned his title...
As a professor and a veteran, I wholeheartedly disagree. Both made great contributions to society and have earned their title.

We are not special people. When I was deployed, I knew it was possible that I wouldn't come home, but I certainly didn't have this expectation that I was better than a doctor or firefighter saving lives at home or better than a social worker making sure that children had families or even better than a professor or teacher who educates. It's the worst of my fellow veterans that have this sickening level of entitlement. It actually degrades them even after they've served for this nation.

We serve because we're proud. That's where it ends.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
As a professor and a veteran, I wholeheartedly disagree. Both made great contributions to society and have earned their title.

We are not special people. When I was deployed, I knew it was possible that I wouldn't come home, but I certainly didn't have this expectation that I was better than a doctor or firefighter saving lives at home or better than a social worker making sure that children had families or even better than a professor or teacher who educates. It's the worst of my fellow veterans that have this sickening level of entitlement. It actually degrades them even after they've served for this nation.

We serve because we're proud. That's where it ends.
I agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities