Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:17 PM

64 posts, read 125,159 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a stay at home mom of three, but am looking into going back to school for a Bachelor's in Human Services. Not so much interested in money or career choices right now as I plan to continue staying at home, but would really just like to have the education behind this area. I have not been to school in 10 years and am a little lost looking at how to go about this. I graduated in 2003 from a 2 year Bible College with an Associate's in Practical Theology. I know some schools will take some of my credits from there but have no clue where to start looking. Can someone point me in the right direction? And do they offer a certificate program for this field? Thanks! P.S.- Not looking for career advise or opinions on the field, just knowledge as to how to gather info on going back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Every college and university will have an admissions office. That office will have advisors/counselors that can answer your questions. They can also typically point you to colleges that have your specific degree if they do not offer it. (Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how prevalent a Human Servies degree is.) The best approach is to call around to the colleges you are interested in attending (and make sure those colleges are accredited).

Old 11-05-2013, 02:37 PM

56 posts, read 134,474 times
Beware of "pop-up" for-profit colleges. There are many that charge a ton and deliver little, leaving you buried in debt with little to show for it. A traditional public university is what you should seek. Smaller universities may be more willing to work take the time and effort to give you credit for your past classes. Family and Consumer Science would be one degree that's appropriate for human services careers. Social Work too, though many of those degrees are masters level.

All that said, many degrees are high-cost, marginal return these days. So be careful out there.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,326,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candimom View Post
I'm currently a stay at home mom of three, but am looking into going back to school for a Bachelor's in Human Services. Not so much interested in money or career choices right now as I plan to continue staying at home, but would really just like to have the education behind this area. I have not been to school in 10 years and am a little lost looking at how to go about this. I graduated in 2003 from a 2 year Bible College with an Associate's in Practical Theology. I know some schools will take some of my credits from there but have no clue where to start looking. Can someone point me in the right direction? And do they offer a certificate program for this field? Thanks! P.S.- Not looking for career advise or opinions on the field, just knowledge as to how to gather info on going back to school.
If you're truly just interested in the education in this area, check out the iTunes U or one of the number of Universities that offer the bulk of their curriculum online for free. You'll get the exact same education, minus the official credits and it won't cost you a dime.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 AM

64 posts, read 125,159 times
Thank you! I appreciate all the comments!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times
If I were you, I'd find the closest and cheapest university - especially if they offer night classes.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Every college and university will have an admissions office. That office will have advisors/counselors that can answer your questions. They can also typically point you to colleges that have your specific degree if they do not offer it. (Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know how prevalent a Human Servies degree is.) The best approach is to call around to the colleges you are interested in attending (and make sure those colleges are accredited).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranfords View Post
Beware of "pop-up" for-profit colleges. There are many that charge a ton and deliver little, leaving you buried in debt with little to show for it. A traditional public university is what you should seek. Smaller universities may be more willing to work take the time and effort to give you credit for your past classes. Family and Consumer Science would be one degree that's appropriate for human services careers. Social Work too, though many of those degrees are masters level.

All that said, many degrees are high-cost, marginal return these days. So be careful out there.
Both of these offer excellent advice. I'll add:
  • Go public within your state.
    • Don't get roped into a private school if you aren't looking to get into the workplace soon after finishing.
    • Don't enroll in an on-line program at a public university in another state because it will cost more than going locally.
    • Don't go anywhere near for-profit colleges no matter how great their ads or what promises they make.
  • Your local CC may be more helpful to getting your "feet wet" than the local state university since most are much more used to part-time and non-traditional students than 4 year schools (although that's changing). Most are certainly much easier to get into (ie, if you breathe, they'll frequently let you take classes) than many 4 year schools.
  • If you take 6 credit hours at a school that has 12 credit hours as a full time threshold, you can qualify for financial aid. Depending upon your income level that might include grants. There may also be specific scholarships for non-traditional students, too.
  • If you have worked in some job that has given you tangible skills -- like doing the bookkeeping for your church -- you may be able to get college credit for that "life experience".
  • As hal2814 said, check out the admissions offices of colleges you're interested in. They'll be very helpful ... if they aren't, then you probably should find another school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities