Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 5,618 times

Advertisements

As part of my degree in Modern History, I have chosen to study my third year abroad in the US - a country I have never been to yet I am VERY interested in. After selecting 10 universities to study at, I have been accepted to these 6:

Goucher College
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Roanoke College
Temple University
University of Maine
University of Rhode Island

Now, I would like to do my final year project on an event in American history. I have decided to pick states that are rich in colonial, revolution, and Civil War history. I am particularly liking the look of University of Rhode Island and Roanoke College.

I would also like a friendly student body, nice campus, in a small town/city (easy to travel around) with railway links to major cities (such as Boston, NY, and Philly), near a major airport that I would be able to get a connecting flight to London, and a university that isn't a complete party school.

What university would you suggest? I need to pick one ASAP (deadline is next Weds).

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Forgot to mention...

I hate hot weather.
I prefer the cold.
I would like snow in the winter.
In a state with more of a liberal outlook (all of the northeast would match this).
I like parties, but not a university (like ASU, UCSB) that is party after party.
Cheap to go there. I can just about afford a year abroad.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Goucher is interesting in that it's in Baltimore - which isn't as big as DC or Philly, but between them and would allow you access to many points in the mid-atlantic

Hobart & William Smith are back near where I grew up - good school, but a bit isolated - more colonial than civil war as far as history - although some good access to both civil rights and the suffrage movement

Roanoke is also a bit more tucked away - it gets some snow, but will definitely lean towards the warmest/least snowy on your list

Rhode Island is interesting in that it's a smaller city and more "collegiate" than some of the city schools on your list - but also fairly decent public transport between the bus and amtrak .... not as great as the bigger cities, but you can get around

I like Maine, but it's the most isolated on your list - will also feature the most snow

Temple is in Philadelphia and is definitely an urban campus - you really aren't going to be playing in the snow or anything like that at the actual school (at least with any regularity) - however, you are a subway ride away from some very historical places, as well as an Amtrak station or other forms of transport to places like NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc ..... even a place like Gettysburg you can get to through a Harrisburg connection on public transport - although that can take a little more doing than the other spots

IMO, the best from just being a part of the US and being able to get out and see history would be Temple ....... however, a place that offers a good collegiate scene, will give you some winter and still some options to get out (even if you have to work a little bit more) is Rhode Island

Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_B View Post
As part of my degree in Modern History
Wat are your career plans?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I'd lean towards Rhode Island with some long weekends in Philly.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I am biased, but I would choose Temple and Philly. You need to prioritize what you want. If you are truly interested in American History I can't think of anything better than Philadelphia, the birthplace of American History. History in Philadelphia — visitphilly.com It's a very walkable city with public transportation, several colleges and unlimited amount of things to do. You can walk for miles on cobblestone streets and duck into centuries old churches and graveyards. In the evenings you can go into neat bars or maybe go to a an intimate concert here: World Cafe Liberal, yes. And for a city, it's known for its affordability. The only downside is it is smack in the city and not the most safe area. However, I know dozens of kids that graduated or are attending and only know one that was mugged!

Goucher is across the street from a mall.

Roanoke is a great college, (my son is a grad!) but it's in a small town and it would be hard to get around without a car.

I don't really know about the other colleges.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info, but I don't fancy living in a big city. I'd rather a college town/small city Also, Temple isn't the experience I am looking for.

Would you guys be able to tell me about the "feel" of Maine and Rhode Island? What is distinct about these states? (e.g. New Mexico - large Native American influence, hot climate, Old West historical sites, deserts). I am not too familiar with ME or RI, but both look quite nice from Google Images.

Also, Goucher and Roanoke look quite nice. I am not concerned about Roanoke being that far away from major cities, but is it easy to get around? Goucher is in Towson, MD (near Baltimore) which appeals to me - what else do you know about this school?

Thanks

Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM

N.B.: A space has been offered to me at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. Should I take the offer?

I don't think it's for me. Too many students, almost triple the amount I am used to. Minneapolis doesn't seem too compelling.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, but I don't fancy living in a big city. I'd rather a college town/small city Also, Temple isn't the experience I am looking for.

Would you guys be able to tell me about the "feel" of Maine and Rhode Island? What is distinct about these states? (e.g. New Mexico - large Native American influence, hot climate, Old West historical sites, deserts). I am not too familiar with ME or RI, but both look quite nice from Google Images.

Also, Goucher and Roanoke look quite nice. I am not concerned about Roanoke being that far away from major cities, but is it easy to get around? Goucher is in Towson, MD (near Baltimore) which appeals to me - what else do you know about this school?

Thanks
Maine is too large to answer "how does Maine feel?" -- it has a great picturesque rocky coastline, endless forests and lakes, old rundown industrial towns, and a bunch of things in between. I have no inside info on the U. of ME but to me the clear downside for someone looking to travel is that Bangor/Orono is rather isolated. Unless I'm mistaken there's no train service beyond Portland and you're talking about a ~6hr bus or mixed bus/train ride to Boston, not to mention anything about NYC or anywhere further south/west.

Rhode Island is right in the middle of New England so you'd be very close to plenty of colonial/Revolutionary War historical sites. Two of my favorite US cities (Newport and Providence) are in Rhode Island. The northern cities (Pawtucket etc) were at the heart of the industrial revolution in the US, and the Newport mansions are a testament to that revolution's success (I guess!). The bay itself is gorgeous. The university is right next to an Amtrak station on the Boston-NYC line, that's a 3-hour train ride from Penn Station (NYC) and less than 90 minutes from downtown Boston.

I'd say if those are your two finalists, location favors U. of RI heavily.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Quote:
N.B.: A space has been offered to me at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. Should I take the offer?

I don't think it's for me. Too many students, almost triple the amount I am used to. Minneapolis doesn't seem too compelling.
If you're not a big city guy then it should be off the list. However, that's a good school and I think Minneapolis is cool and underrated. But again, I'm a city guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities