Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:36 PM

43 posts, read 95,268 times

Advertisements

So posting in that other thread about the girl whose friend went to Everest College inspired me to make one of my own.

My friend has been attending the Minnesota School of Business for some time now (part time), but got himself in a bit of trouble with his grades. In short, he got expelled for poor grades. He met with the Dean of Students at MSB and she told him that he could get back in, but he has to retake the classes and get his GPA up above 2.0. The catch is, he won't have any financial aid until his grades are back up. He's been taking out student loans the duration he has been in school.

When he told me this, I gave a quick estimate of what it would cost him to retake ONE class at MSB, including books and other miscellaneous fees. It would be about 2000 dollars. He said he wouldn't be able to afford it (which is normally understandable, until he bought a Playstation 4 not long after ).

He keeps saying how much he wants to go back to school, get a bachelors (we are both accounting majors) but he seems way too unfocused. I want to tell him to get his behind in gear and finish what he started, but I guess I don't know exactly how to frame the advice. I would of just told him to transfer, but looking deeper at MSB, his credits wouldn't transfer, and he would be back at a community college starting all over accumulating more student loans. Should he just finish up at MSB, or should he start all over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Community College

Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
community college.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
So posting in that other thread about the girl whose friend went to Everest College inspired me to make one of my own.

My friend has been attending the Minnesota School of Business for some time now (part time), but got himself in a bit of trouble with his grades. In short, he got expelled for poor grades. He met with the Dean of Students at MSB and she told him that he could get back in, but he has to retake the classes and get his GPA up above 2.0. The catch is, he won't have any financial aid until his grades are back up. He's been taking out student loans the duration he has been in school.

When he told me this, I gave a quick estimate of what it would cost him to retake ONE class at MSB, including books and other miscellaneous fees. It would be about 2000 dollars. He said he wouldn't be able to afford it (which is normally understandable, until he bought a Playstation 4 not long after ).

He keeps saying how much he wants to go back to school, get a bachelors (we are both accounting majors) but he seems way too unfocused. I want to tell him to get his behind in gear and finish what he started, but I guess I don't know exactly how to frame the advice. I would of just told him to transfer, but looking deeper at MSB, his credits wouldn't transfer, and he would be back at a community college starting all over accumulating more student loans. Should he just finish up at MSB, or should he start all over?
Wouldn't he essentially be starting over at MBS at $2000/course when he could be taking 2 or 3 courses for that $2000 at the local CC? This is a no-brainer IMO. Either go to the CC or get a FT job.

ps ... I visited the MSB site, and like many/most for-profit schools, they don't post their tuition. You have to agree to be hounded by their sales reps before they give you even an inkling of what it will cost. That's reason enough to stay away from this school.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Start over at a regionally accredited CC if he has an actual plan and he wants to go back to school.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:30 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,040 times
If he's really serious about school, start over at a CC. For profits are a joke that will leave most people with far more debt than if they had just gone to their local State Uni in the first place. I honestly can't think of a single For Profit school worth going to, and having been in the Army; I'm quite used to them attempting to scam me out of my GI Bill.

I visited the MSB website out of curiosity and used their net price calculator to see what sort of estimate someone like me would get. Holy crap! Tuition alone cost 6k more per year than what it costs to attend full time here at my Uni. Tell him to do himself a favor and start over at a CC, it'll provide better prospects in the long term.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Wouldn't he essentially be starting over at MBS at $2000/course when he could be taking 2 or 3 courses for that $2000 at the local CC? This is a no-brainer IMO. Either go to the CC or get a FT job.

ps ... I visited the MSB site, and like many/most for-profit schools, they don't post their tuition. You have to agree to be hounded by their sales reps before they give you even an inkling of what it will cost. That's reason enough to stay away from this school.
Essentially yes. He said that he was almost done with his program (an associates) so he wanted to finish what he started. He has about 50 credits and he would need about 182 in their accounting program to graduate. But he already has about 30k in loans

If he were to walk and try going to a CC, could he still get aid, even with an expulsion on his record? If he can't, maybe he should get his gpa back up at MSB and then leave?

Oh, and you can find their rates on their website, it's just difficult. I had to google search their tuition to find it. It's 490 a credit if you go less than 12 credits, 360 a credit if you go 12-16, and additional credits above 16 are free.

I estimated if he were to get a BS at MSB and use loans for it all, he would have about 80K in student loans. Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
Essentially yes. He said that he was almost done with his program (an associates) so he wanted to finish what he started. He has about 50 credits and he would need about 182 in their accounting program to graduate. But he already has about 30k in loans

If he were to walk and try going to a CC, could he still get aid, even with an expulsion on his record? If he can't, maybe he should get his gpa back up at MSB and then leave?

Oh, and you can find their rates on their website, it's just difficult. I had to google search their tuition to find it. It's 490 a credit if you go less than 12 credits, 360 a credit if you go 12-16, and additional credits above 16 are free.

I estimated if he were to get a BS at MSB and use loans for it all, he would have about 80K in student loans. Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro
CCs will generally transfer in grades of C or higher. The question is whether the MSB is accredited by the CC.

How did they let him get 50 credits into a program if his grades were so bad? The first term he earned less than 2.0, he should have been put on probation.

Is this college on the quarter system? 182 credits is a lot if it's not because, a BA/BS degree is only about 120 credits on the semester calendar. $500 a credit hour for 182 credits ($90,000 tuition) or $4320-5760 a term while needing about 6 terms to finish is a horrendous rip off.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Minnesota School of Business is nationally accredited instead of regionally accredited. It would be difficult to find a cheap, regionally accredited school that will accept their credits. He might as well start over.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
CCs will generally transfer in grades of C or higher. The question is whether the MSB is accredited by the CC.

How did they let him get 50 credits into a program if his grades were so bad? The first term he earned less than 2.0, he should have been put on probation.

Is this college on the quarter system? 182 credits is a lot if it's not because, a BA/BS degree is only about 120 credits on the semester calendar. $500 a credit hour for 182 credits ($90,000 tuition) or $4320-5760 a term while needing about 6 terms to finish is a horrendous rip off.
MSB is nationally accredited. I'm not certain if some if any of his credits would transfer.

He told me he found out about the explusion when he tried to charge his books one day. Looking at their student handbook, depending on the number of credits you have attempted or have, you are automatically placed in under suspension, probation, or explusion. Bu they would of warned him prior. I'm just going to say he had no idea (not very likely) or he was indeed put on probation and he just didn't get the grades to keep him from getting expelled.

Yes, MSB is on a quarter system. One of 'benefits' is because of their year round schedule, you can get a 4 year degree in three years.

Doing some quick calculations, if one were to go full time every semester, total tuition would be 70,980 dollars. Of course I haven't even included books which if I estimate 200 dollars per class and each class being 4 credits equals roughly 9100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities