Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 PM

39 posts, read 73,903 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys

I am thinking about going to college and getting a degree . I need a career and cant seem to make over a certain amount with out one. I was thinking about criminal justice but my age is making me feel i should look into something else. Any ideas on something that will land me a high paying job in the future. I know I wont make it from the start but something good down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 11:05 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goretex101 View Post
Hey Guys

I am thinking about going to college and getting a degree . I need a career and cant seem to make over a certain amount with out one. I was thinking about criminal justice but my age is making me feel i should look into something else. Any ideas on something that will land me a high paying job in the future. I know I wont make it from the start but something good down the line.
What is your current job and what are you interested in?
Are you strong at math? Writing?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM

I currently work for a Verizon Wireless Sub Agent. I do account management for them. I have 3 stores that I over see. The business is becoming more automated and it's kinda time to look in a different direction.

I am not the strongest in math but I believe what ever I put my head into I can do. Again I would say math is my weakest point.

I make around 45,000 a year now but I know people who do the same I do with a degree and make around 80-90 a year.

I also wouldn't mind a state or municipal job. Something with a pension. That I could make 100,000 one day.

I appreciate your help. This is a big decision for me and I want the best chance I could get.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
So Business or Accounting or Human Resources... something along those lines might be a place to start. Build on your work experience.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
math isn't hard, it just requires doing problems over and over at least three times to grasp it. trust me, id know. im 29 myself and back in school and out of my own state studying. if you stay where you are, just get a degree in what you want but id suggest something in science,math, engineering or IT. stay focused and do it. I was in cellular sales a long time and it sucks seeing a 70k/yr job drop to min wage but my sacrifice is worth it. folks at the big U wont see you as their friends but you aren't there for that. that alone took me a long time to get over.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks Ceece

Barqcider - You are so right , Sales reps were making huge money and managers could touch 6 figures if they were in the right store. Now we pay 8 an hour for a rep and there cutting our salaries like crazy. The reason I'm doing this is because the longer I wait the harder it is. I figure why waste the time.
I do like your engineering idea. I know a few people who are in that field and seem very happy . I'm gonna continue my research as I have some time to look.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:58 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
If you like what you're doing I would strongly recommend business. With your experience you would be a pretty strong candidate for a lot of different positions once you graduate. If you start over in a new field - like engineering - you're going to have to figure out how to gain experience while you are getting your degree.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Great point Arthur. I could do business admin or management right ?? i know with a degree I have a better chance at any job and higher pay. My worry has always been that I come out of school and making what I make without it, but I'm seeing more and more that's not the case.

Also how do you guys feel about online schools like Phoenix or berkeley ???

Old 12-04-2013, 10:17 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Only if your goal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goretex101 View Post
Also how do you guys feel about online schools like Phoenix
Only if your goal is wind up deep in STUDENT debt with a useless piece of paper.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM

So phoenix is not a good school ?? I need online courses due to my full time schedule ? I work between 50 - 60 hours a week in retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities