Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM

78 posts, read 515,613 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone if you could be kind enough to answer my questions regarding going to an online university.

Questions
1. What are the best online Universities? (If this helps, I plan to become an Mechanical Engineer)
2. Can I start online classes at anytime? (The reason I ask this because I missed the Financial aid deadline for Community College, I got my dates mixed up.)
3. Does Financial aid cover online classes?
4. Are taking online courses as hard as they say it is? ( I took a computer programming class online back in High school, but I was to immature and irresponsible to pass it. I got distracted a lot. I feel like I can do this but I don't want a repeat, I feel more mature now.
5. Are online classes equivalent to the basic classes you need to take in your first two years of College?
6. Will online classes mess up my plan to attend a four year University?
7.Did I miss the Financial aid deadline for all Online Universities?

I graduated in May 2012 last year, and in a failed attempt to move out my mom's house and move to another state. I didn't attend college because I wanted to get two jobs and save up as much money as I could. But long story short I failed horribly now I missed 2014 Spring Semester Financial Aid Deadline. I'm so anxious to start School in 2014 January, whether it be Online. I really want to get back to school. I Despise this Idle time!

If you have any other info I need to know, please add. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
1) I don't know if there any reputable online mechanical engineering programs, but if you go online, stick with a regular school like Virginia Tech or Penn State that has online programs, not an "online school." I'd recommend traditional classes.

2) Probably not. The courses probably run parallel to a traditional semester.

3) Regular financial aid should apply to online classes unless stated otherwise.

4) Depends on the person and subject matter. I took a math course online and failed it. When I took it in person with the same professor, I passed with an A. I don't like online delivery, but I'm a very vocal/social person.

5) As long as it is the same course #, it should be fine.

6) Many regular schools will not accept credits from the "online" universities. You'll need to check with the four year program you wan to attend to see if they accept credits from the online school. I know Western Governors University is decently regarded among online schools, but for instance the accounting program's courses are not permissible for the CPA. You may run into oddities like that.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
1. You should be looking for online programs, not online colleges. Many brick and mortar schools offer online programs; and, the colleges people often call online universities usually have brick and mortar campuses too. The first thing you need to worry about is ABET accreditation. There aren't many ABET-accredited online programs. All of them are listed at the link below.
ABET - Online Programs

Currently, there is nothing for mechanical engineering. You might be able to find an ABET-accredited, mechanical engineering program with some online classes. You can conduct a search here and start contacting schools.
Accredited Program Search

2. Most traditional colleges work on the semester system. You usually have to start in the fall or spring, but some will let you start in the summer.

3. Financial aid covers classes at any U.S. college that is accredited by a recognized organization and participates in Title IV funding regardless of the mode of delivery (ground, correspondence, online, etc.). The exception to this would be non-credit courses that can't be applied to a degree program. Financial aid will also cover some foreign schools, but not their distance learning courses.

4. Online classes usually require that you be more of an independent learner and good at time management. Some online courses will replace tests and quizzes with essays.

5. Since most schools have brick and mortar campuses, the online courses you take are equivalent to their ground counterparts. The only time online courses become an issue is when you're trying to get into a graduate program that does not accept science courses that were taken online. Some schools also won't accept psychology credits in transfer if they were taken online. However, it is almost impossible to tell if a course was taken online because 99% of transcripts will not distinguish between online and on ground courses.

6. No. Most 4-year colleges offer online courses. Universities that offer online programs/courses are 4-year colleges. I've never heard of a university that does not offer a bachelor's degree or higher. 2-year colleges are community colleges, junior colleges, and vocational/technical schools. Again, some schools will not take transfer credits for online science courses. This might also apply to engineering courses.

7. There are too many variables. You will have to find a school of interest and inquire about their financial aid policies.

I recommend that you first look at the community colleges in your county/metro, and then look at the community colleges in your state for the cheapest tuition rates for online courses. You will only be able to knockout your general education courses this way. Another option would be to take online courses at 4-year colleges in your state that offer ABET-accredited, mechanical engineering programs. You might have to move when it comes time to take the courses that aren't offered online.

Last edited by L210; 12-11-2013 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
2) Probably not. The courses probably run parallel to a traditional semester.
Non-traditional colleges tend to enroll year-round and will have monthly start dates. A few of these non-traditional colleges are public schools.
Quote:
6) Many regular schools will not accept credits from the "online" universities. You'll need to check with the four year program you wan to attend to see if they accept credits from the online school.
Accreditation is more important than whether a university is 100% virtual. 100% virtual, regionally accredited colleges are rare in the first place. Regional accreditation is the most important thing when it comes to transferring credits.
Quote:
I know Western Governors University is decently regarded among online schools, but for instance the accounting program's courses are not permissible for the CPA. You may run into oddities like that.
This depends on the state. Some states allow online accounting courses.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:09 AM

50 posts, read 100,350 times
I did my Associates Degree online with Colorado Technical University. They have classes start every 6 weeks. Financial Aid covered about 90% of my tuition. Books are included in the tuition at this college. They have locations all over the U.S if you prefer classroom setting. You take 2 classes at a time for 6 weeks with one week off before you start your next session. They required you to log in at least once a week. you can work on your assignments anytime as long as you submit it in by the deadline. The assignments consist of a weekly discussion, where they instructor may post a question or questions and you will post your response online and comment on your fellow classmates answers. You'll have one regular assignment and quiz due too depending on what course your taking. On the last week you'll do a group project, which was the most challenging for me since everyone is from all over the country in different times zones, so everyone was submitting things at different times. sometimes your other classmate do not participate and you end up having to do the assignment all by yourself.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,652,630 times
I think technical colleges would be more for your taking. Research options in those areas.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 PM

470 posts, read 1,159,871 times
Most brick and mortar college offer online classes now, same with community colleges. I would look into them if you plan on moving to four year college as it appears..I would stay away from those online colleges you hear in commericials, etc..they aren't regionally accredited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities