Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I'll be going back to school next year to get my graduate degree in Writing Studies. I suppose it's a worthless degree to a lot of people. However I have a plan and I've done the research on the program I'm going to, I've asked the right questions to the faculty and staff at this program, I've even sat in on a "class" before making a decision. I based my decision on a number of things--but marketability(as in whether or not this degree and what I've learned will help me get the job I want) was certainly a factor since this program has a variety of classes where people within a certain writing field come in and teach about the field, and help the students create portfolios for that field. For instance, in the class I sat in, a Public Relations writer came in, and talked about the field, came up with assignments to help students writing PR pieces, and the students created a portfolio with these samples. This was one class. Another class, features a grant writer coming in, and doing the same thing. Thus at the end, the students walk away with a TON of pieces that present a variety of skills they have as "flexible" writers to include in a portfolio. The faculty helps the students network and gain internships within the city, and they target these internships to meet the students desires(i.e. what the student wants to do in the future) this program offers assistantships and part time-jobs where you also do some part of writing. The program is very affordable. And the class sizes are small. All in all, the program MEETS what I'm looking for in a graduate program.

So why am I choosing to go back to school for "writing"? I've been out of school for the last 5 years. I've worked a few different jobs(all different environments, industries, people, hours, etc) and come to the conclusion that I'd rather spend 40-50 hours doing what I find tolerable and enjoy the majority of the time, as opposed to working a job that I dislike, in a field that might be monetarily practical. It takes a "toll" on you to work in a career that you dislike, everyday, for several hours a day. Why spend so much of your life doing what you don't like, or doing what others tell you is practical if you are unhappy? Why not follow your dreams? Why not go after a career that might not be financially practical but that will at least on some level, provide your basic needs, and most importantly you enjoy doing it?

I know so many people who hate their careers and are stressed, depressed, or constantly "wish" they had just did what they wanted, or had the courage to do what they wanted. Life is too short. I've learned that. What's more, is that some of us are passionate people and we aren't tolerable to jobs that we have no passion about or dislike. We are unproductive, we dread going to work, we hate our lifes, and the money does not feel worth it to US. There are others, completely opposite, who CAN work a job he/she hates, who CAN be okay dreading every working-day, and who FEEL the money is worth it. People like my sister, people like my dad. And that's okay. But I don't understand why people feel so hostile toward those of us who would rather pursue degrees that we WANT, so that we can OBTAIN the careers we want, especially if we have a plan, and KNOW what we are getting ourselves into?

The last few years of my life, I've put aside what I really wanted to do, to pursue careers that everyone told me were "practical" and that made sense. Then I came to the epiphany that I no longer cared about what others TOLD me felt practical--since this was mainly their projection of the attitude, values, he/she had about careers and life. I didn't have the same values so why was I listening to these people?

Good for you! Actually, is there anything more practical than writing?

I've figured out something, these people just think differently. Money makes them excited. Everyone needs money and I rather like what money can do.

Enough money. Not piles of it.

I'm also not motivated by fear. Fear of new immigrants, or a bad economy, or the end of the world. Some of the STEM people worry quite a lot and think about money way more than I could ever imagine.

Honestly, it's a different way of thinking about life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
"Personal enlightenment" can be obtained at a library. Or they can even audit college courses for free if they want to learn from a college professor. What's sad is people going into debt for tens of thousands of dollars for a degree that is going to do nothing for them.

I can't sleep and came across this. After reading, I decided to make this account with the sole intention to tell you that you're an *******.

Not everyone can easily teach themselves. As far as auditing a course, I don't know much about it except that it does cost money. With that being said, why would I want to audit a course if I could get credit for it?

Anyway, unfortunately, having a degree is pretty much a prerequisite for most decent entry level jobs. There are plenty of other degrees besides engineering and medical that are of value. If you can't see that, you're either brainwashed or ignorant on all the career options of the world.

Learn how to talk to and respect others.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
disdain of traditional trade jobs
exaggerated sense of self worth
illusion that they and 20 other million have a job as a manager waiting for them when they finish
have not spoken to anybody working at starbucks with an advanced degree and a crushing student loan
just guessing

Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I'm talking about degrees like arts, music, sociology, psychology, gender studies, and general studies. If people aren't going to get engineering degrees or go to medical school, why even bother? It just seems like a big wast of time when you'll just end up working at Starbucks anyway.

There is such thing as getting an education. All learning does not have to have a career or job in mind.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,064,347 times
I majored in music and did not end up at Starbucks. Teaching piano and voice pays more.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:25 AM

72 posts, read 121,811 times
Going into a STEM field isn't always a "better" approach. There's plenty of STEM grads struggling to find decent work.

I majored in Math. Graduated with highest honors, from a well–known school. I worked my a** off. Before college, I worked for about 4 years in various retail environments, and saved like crazy. Three years out of school, and I'm bringing in less per week than before I went to college. At least, because of the way I went about it, I have no student debt.

The people, who I know, who are making the most money are either licensed professionals (doctors, nurses, plumbers, electricians, etc.), or people who were "connected" (family connections, great at schmoozing in college, etc.). In the latter group, most of those people majored in liberal studies areas (such as communications, political science, etc.) and didn't study especially hard.

If I were to do it again, I would pick a "licensed" field, study less, party more, and schmooze like crazy.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:54 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
Boy this thread is already 33 pages!

I think the main point is that yes, people should pick something that interests them, and that they are capable of handling. Of course, not everyone will be able to major in Engineering or be an Actuary.

I think the OP was indicating that a lot of people decide to major in something like "Gender Studies", and don't have a real plan. Most students and parents don't have money to throw away like that.

When my kids attend college, they'll have to discuss their choices of majors with me, and if it's a thought out plan, I'll approve helping them pay for it, otherwise, they're on their own.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
A: Why do some people see the only worth one can get out of a degree being the size of the number behind a dollar sign?

Q: Because they can't understand that other people have different priorities in life.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
There is such thing as getting an education. All learning does not have to have a career or job in mind.
I used to say the same thing all the time when people criticized the worth of my literature degree. I thought they just didn't understand what life was all about.

Hah. Joke's on me.

Now I see how naive I was to rack up debt for a degree that would never pay for itself. Life is about being able to provide for yourself and your family and living a comfortable, secure existence. Without financial stability, life just plain sucks, no matter how enlightened you are.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I used to say the same thing all the time when people criticized the worth of my literature degree. I thought they just didn't understand what life was all about.

Hah. Joke's on me.

Now I see how naive I was to rack up debt for a degree that would never pay for itself. Life is about being able to provide for yourself and your family and living a comfortable, secure existence. Without financial stability, life just plain sucks, no matter how enlightened you are.
That's not a function of one's degree. That's a function of one's overall savvy and people skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities