Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:12 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The same as everyone else who didn't have experience started out. Keep trying.
I haven't given up. I'm just depressed. I have actually tried going back to school. Even thought I was accepted to another university, student loans from my last degree have caught up with me, and it's next to impossible for me to get another loan. For that reason, I began looking for more work so I could save up and pay for school.

Ironically, I'm looking for work so I can go back to school, but the reason I wanted to go back to school was because I could not find work.

I am not giving up. I just feel like I"m at a loss. I'm sick of hearing "we need someone with experience". Even some entry level positions want someone with experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:18 PM

34 posts, read 49,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
imo-A lot of it stems from recent graduates and their parents and relatives. Liberal Arts degrees have a less defined career track and it can these students a bit longer to get their career going. Add in the recent recession and things get more heated. Then there are others that just have no idea what they are talking about.
I think "no idea what they are talking about" is the leading cause of that "statistic."

Probably Facebook is better for those who prefer fact free zone. I wish!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
I just want to add this little tidbit, the feds (the VA in particuliar) are making it harder to get entry level jobs. They are now trying to institute that a GS level 5 (27,431.00) requires you to have a bachelors degree and anything above that a Masters or Ph.d. This was not the case 10 years ago when you were able to get a federal job straight out of high school and move up through experience. That being said, it would behove anyone who wants to work in federal governemtn to at least get some sort of degree

Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I just want to add this little tidbit, the feds (the VA in particuliar) are making it harder to get entry level jobs. They are now trying to institute that a GS level 5 (27,431.00) requires you to have a bachelors degree and anything above that a Masters or Ph.d. This was not the case 10 years ago when you were able to get a federal job straight out of high school and move up through experience. That being said, it would behove anyone who wants to work in federal governemtn to at least get some sort of degree
In short, a Bachelor's degree is not enough, and there is less demand for entry level persons.

What happens to the recent college graduates?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
IMO....you will never get ahead working to make money for others.

You have to run your own business........and do as mush of your own work as possible.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:59 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
College degrees are the new high school diploma. And some even more useless than that as they have become so readily availably on the internet and through for profit intsitutions, etc. People think if they go 50k into debt to acquire a degree that they will "get ahead" in the workforce, in life, etc. I did enjoy my time in college, and I am glad I went but my reasons for enjoying my time at a top tier university have nothing to do with my job prospects. In order to "get ahead" in life you need to work for it, no corporation is going to hand you anything sitting in a cubicle. Especially with the baby boomers in hiring positions, trust me they will not retire quietly. I have met more millionaires who were college dropouts than any other people. I think people are naive and higher institutions are milking the new degree bubble that Gen Y has been lead to believe that they need in order to be successful.
You can say that, but you HAVE an education. Try making ends meet with a GED and limited to what kinds of jobs you can do. I'd love to have a college degree because I'd be able to get something other than crappy depressing factory work. However, I have a block learning so college is not an option. Enjoy your college education, you don't even want to know how bad it can be down here with us GED people.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:00 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Just having a degree will not get you ahead, but it will open doors to jobs that are not available to people who do not have a degree.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO....you will never get ahead working to make money for others.

You have to run your own business........and do as mush of your own work as possible.
I would love to own my own business. Believe me. If I had my own business, I wouldn't be on this forum posting about my frustrations with unemployment. I wouldn't be checking my email ir phone all the time looking for someone to give me a job. I would be independent and HAPPY. Hard work, yes. However, it would be my business, my enterprise. One main issues is getting investment.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, a Bachelor's degree is not enough, and there is less demand for entry level persons.

What happens to the recent college graduates?
This country runs on debt so I guess that it is only (un)natural for you to go into debt to get an education in order for you to get ahead

Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Actually, a college degree will get you ahead. I feel sorry for those with just a H.S. diploma or a G.E.D. trying to make it in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities