Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:14 AM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Really-no writing at all for 4 out 5 classes?
Calculus
Chemistry
Physics
Descriptive Geometry
Gym
Economics (with calculus)

Some sort of humanities course that I cannot remember.

During my 5 years (ending with MS) I never visited the library for coursework. I only went to read fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:18 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,010,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
It's obvious that cognitive skills are the primary skills that one will need to succeed in college in my opinion. However, I believe that there is a great number of young men and women who are going to colleges/universities after high school who are lacking "soft skills". I believe that they are very important also and can make or break some of the younger students. Which of these skills do you think kids need to be successful other than math, reading comp., etc.? I believe that social skills ranks high up on the list.
Being able to stay away from drugs and being generally responsible.

If you are talking about excelling in a difficult program at a good school, then it is either a motivation you have at that time in your life, or you don't.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,127,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Calculus
Chemistry
Physics
Descriptive Geometry
Gym
Economics (with calculus)

Some sort of humanities course that I cannot remember.

During my 5 years (ending with MS) I never visited the library for coursework. I only went to read fiction.
You never had to write a lab report in Chemistry or Physics, never had to write a paper in econ? I'll give you gym class, maybe some math, but even in most math classes there is some writing involoved.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:14 PM

919 posts, read 1,683,735 times
I just started college in September and I would say that time management is huge. I was miserable the entire first month of school (not bc of my social life btw!) Because i was up everyday until 2 or 3 doing school work. I thought i had good time management skills because i breezed through high school while working and playing softball.

Organization: It is not a joke. No one is reminding you when stuff is due. I really had to utilize a planner.

Communication skills, both verbal and written skills. I have had to professionally communicate with others many times this semester. Even if you are not taking a writing enhanced curriculum written skills are important for things such as emailing professors.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I just started college in September and I would say that time management is huge. I was miserable the entire first month of school (not bc of my social life btw!) Because i was up everyday until 2 or 3 doing school work. I thought i had good time management skills because i breezed through high school while working and playing softball.

Organization: It is not a joke. No one is reminding you when stuff is due. I really had to utilize a planner.

Communication skills, both verbal and written skills. I have had to professionally communicate with others many times this semester. Even if you are not taking a writing enhanced curriculum written skills are important for things such as emailing professors.
How did your first semester end up...you've been here a long time we kind of feel like your parents

Old 12-25-2013, 06:02 PM

919 posts, read 1,683,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How did your first semester end up...you've been here a long time we kind of feel like your parents

After getting my life together everything was great! I met a good group of friend, had fun learned a lot about myself (had to reflect on my first semester for my university class) , realized that I am very good at public speaking, volunteered A LOT and most importantly i declared my major and concentration! Im waiting on 1 grade but so far I have a B, 2 A- and an A so a 3.52 GPA

Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
It's obvious that cognitive skills are the primary skills that one will need to succeed in college in my opinion. However, I believe that there is a great number of young men and women who are going to colleges/universities after high school who are lacking "soft skills". I believe that they are very important also and can make or break some of the younger students. Which of these skills do you think kids need to be successful other than math, reading comp., etc.? I believe that social skills ranks high up on the list.
Time management is probably the biggest one.
Networking skills...getting to know the right people.
Ability to cope well with failure, disappointment and criticism.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

434 posts, read 682,617 times
Listening.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
After getting my life together everything was great! I met a good group of friend, had fun learned a lot about myself (had to reflect on my first semester for my university class) , realized that I am very good at public speaking, volunteered A LOT and most importantly i declared my major and concentration! Im waiting on 1 grade but so far I have a B, 2 A- and an A so a 3.52 GPA
Nice job!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,745,528 times
From what I have learned in my first semester... is yes, time management. I did fairly OK here, because I felt that my classes weren't overwhelmingly difficult (Chemistry did though, and I studied a ton, but it barely had homework. The other two classes barely had homework as well). Surely needs a ton of improvement.

Work smarter, not longer. I tend to procrastinate and that hurt me a lot. Especially for Chemistry, since I barely passed.

Professional skills. Taking ownership, taking initiative, etc. Many times this year I had to talk to residence life, meet with my advisors, go to office hours, express problems with grades, and so forth. If I had no initiative, I would probably have failed out. Nothing is telling you to do your errands or other things to do. I couldn't call my mom to do things for me.

On another note, LEARN TO DETACH. I went to school in-state and my roommate came across the country from New York. She was very babied by her mother. Most days my roommate would go to class before me, and her mom would call her every morning to wake her up. I always woke up to this. Whenever my roommate had a problem with something (like when she was trying to transfer out of the university) her mother had to call them to handle anything. When she had problems with classes, she had to have me help her, without b******* me out for like three hours, so I had to do it for my own sanity. I think this was terrible. It was no surprise my roommate ended up going back to NY at the end of the semester; she literally could not detach herself from her old friends and especially her mother. Most of my friends who are down here with me came from out of state, even from far places like Alaska, DC, Florida, etc. and they are still staying here next year because this is partially the reason. They are not constantly thinking about home 24/7. Despite being an hour and a half away from home, I've only seen my parents twice (including winter break) and only talked to them during those two times. I'd only talk to them if I needed something. I did that to gain independence. And I think that's one of the most important parts of going to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities