Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
I'm done wasting my time talking to you my little student researcher L210 . . . you are just wasting my time.

Oh, and in case you (who are oh so intelligent) didn't notice, you've been participating in a year old conversation too. Whether the thread is old or not, I felt I owed the OP an apology since it was hijacked.

Unlike you, I'm not rude.

Now, go back to your student researching, and I'll go back to finishing my 3rd book; my publisher wants my manuscript by Friday.

P.S. - I still find your "defense" of WGU strange, especially when days ago you went to such lengths to say you were not defending it. What a crock!
LOL. I hope you weren't teaching at nationally accredited schools after finishing your doctorate. It's not exactly a prestigious job. An expert in immunology isn't necessarily an expert in quantum physics. I don't care how many books you've written (many professors put out books that don't sell anyway); I doubt any of them are about accreditation. I would go to one of my fellow doctoral students for advice about crimes against the environment before I would go to one of my professors because none of them know anything about crimes against the environment. My classmate did his master's thesis on the subject. Just simply having a PhD doesn't make you an expert in everything; it doesn't even make you an expert in everything in your field. When you need occupational therapy, you usually go to someone with a master's degree in occupational therapy. You don't go to someone with a PhD in counseling.

Last edited by L210; 11-20-2014 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
FWIW I hold a nationally accredited (NA) degree and am currently working on another NA degree. I know all about limitations, but it works for me. And according to Distance Education and Training Council | National Accreditor of Distance Education Institutions it does for most NA grads as well. But I'm a somewhat older student and I have to work at my own pace since I work crazy hours owning my own business. So would I advise a young student to get a regionally accredited degree? You bet. In fact my daughter is a sophomore in my state's university. Less limitations and more options. But again, for the right person in the right situation, NA is just fine.
Degrees from NA schools work for a lot of people in the private sector and the federal government. Most private employers don't even know the difference. Those looking to work for local and state government agencies need to pay close attention to their requirements. People need to especially pay attention if they are looking to become licensed or plan on going to graduate school. I just find it odd that someone would recommend attending a school with name recognition and a good reputation while at the same time recommending nationally accredited schools. Hardly any nationally accredited school has name recognition. When they do have name recognition, it's usually for something negative i.e. ITT Tech and Westwood College.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 AM

660 posts, read 1,005,964 times
Thumbs down Ciao!

You are simply incredibly annoying, at least based on your attitude here.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD OR WOULD NOT DO L210.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION.

You obviously cannot engage in reasoned debate or communication that does not belittle others.

If you dislike or don't trust professors that much, why are you even involved in higher education?

So . . . GOODBYE FELICIA!

And if you don't know what that means my little student researcher, LOOK IT UP!

P.S. - don't bother to respond because A.) as you yourself pointed out, this thread is old, and B.) I won't be checking it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
LOL. I hope you weren't teaching at nationally accredited schools after finishing your doctorate. It's not exactly a prestigious job. An expert in immunology isn't necessarily an expert in quantum physics. I don't care how many books you've written (many professors put out books that don't sell anyway); I doubt any of them are about accreditation. I would go to one of my fellow doctoral students for advice about crimes against the environment before I would go to one of my professors because none of them know anything about crimes against the environment. My classmate did his master's thesis on the subject. Just simply having a PhD doesn't make you an expert in everything; it doesn't even make you an expert in everything in your field. When you need occupational therapy, you usually go to someone with a master's degree in occupational therapy. You don't go to someone with a PhD in counseling.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Proceed at Your Own Risk!

Ignore L210 -- this person is clearly a forum troll who is only here to disagree or question everything anyone else says, likely in an effort to make themselves feel accomplished.

Plus, as L210 pointed out to me quite rudely -- "this thread is old".

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Degrees from NA schools work for a lot of people in the private sector and the federal government. Most private employers don't even know the difference. Those looking to work for local and state government agencies need to pay close attention to their requirements. People need to especially pay attention if they are looking to become licensed or plan on going to graduate school. I just find it odd that someone would recommend attending a school with name recognition and a good reputation while at the same time recommending nationally accredited schools. Hardly any nationally accredited school has name recognition. When they do have name recognition, it's usually for something negative i.e. ITT Tech and Westwood College.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You are simply incredibly annoying, at least based on your attitude here.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU WOULD OR WOULD NOT DO L210.

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINION.

You obviously cannot engage in reasoned debate or communication that does not belittle others.

If you dislike or don't trust professors that much, why are you even involved in higher education?

So . . . GOODBYE FELICIA!

And if you don't know what that means my little student researcher, LOOK IT UP!

P.S. - don't bother to respond because A.) as you yourself pointed out, this thread is old, and B.) I won't be checking it again.
I'm familiar with the slang that comes from the movie Friday. People usually say "Bye Felicia" and not "Goodbye Felicia," but whatever.

Nothing in my post implied that I dislike or distrust my professors. Why is it so hard to understand that not everyone is an expert on everything? When I graduate with my PhD, I'm not going to be an expert on sex offenders because I'm not doing any research or taking any courses on sex offenders. The same goes for professors who have been teaching for decades. They aren't experts in every part of their field; they tend to focus on a couple of topics in their research.
Quote:
Ignore L210 -- this person is clearly a forum troll who is only here to disagree or question everything anyone else says, likely in an effort to make themselves feel accomplished.

Plus, as L210 pointed out to me quite rudely -- "this thread is old".
You have obviously resorted to personal attacks and name-calling instead of debating the facts. All of my posts had actual refutations whether or not you like their presentation. Your last few posts are nothing but attacks against me. There is nothing reasoned about that.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:06 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I think in the long term I'll put my AA and BS from Penn State University and my MPA and EdD from Seattle University and my multiple certifications from the University of Washington up against your MBA from WGU any day -- and if you think that someone with an MBA and experience from an unknown school is going to compete with anyone with an MBA and experience from a known (or even better yet ranked) school -- for any position -- you are sort of clueless (and not the "complete package" you assert).

Sorry.

And, if your employer simply wanted a box "checked off" to advance you, I also question the quality of the managers and leaders at the helm of your employer's ship (and my doctorate is in leadership development and management) to make decisions.

And, again, lastly, most of WGU's students don't graduate.

Man, I missed this response for some reason?

You are STUCK in a different age and not acting in the current one. The brand name of your degree doesn't matter today as much as it might have in a different time (and I would argue if it EVER mattered) across the board.

Employers today are looking for the complete package, that's of experience, relevant education, relevant references, and you having a NETWORK already established in some fashion. When you bring this entire package to Employers you are pretty much all set in obtaining and getting promoted within your field.

The Brand Name of the degree ONLY matters to those less than 1% of positions in which you might be looking for top large corporate positions, working on Wallstreet, going to Law School, and of course going to Medical School. For EVERYTHING ELSE.........your brand name college degree isn't required.

You can put your "Associates, MPA, and EdD" up against my WGU MBA all day long, what it comes down to is WHAT TYPE of positions we are applying for and if we already have the relevant experience along with the relevant number of references within our profile package.

For example, I work in Commercial Finance with nearly 8 years of experience with excellent performance, references and a network. I have an MBA (from WGU), along three bachelor's degrees including one of those degrees from University of Michigan. If I'm interviewing and YOU are interviewing with your degrees, certifications but NO prior Commercial Finance experience.........who do you think is going to win the position assuming we both are efficient interviewers?

People like you give these colleges excuses to continue raising their tuition costs. People like me who have to WORK for everything and PAY out of pocket for education, we refuse to pay $100,000 for an MBA when we aren't looking to go to WallStreet. The WGU MBA is a bargain and it fulfills the requirements that it needs to fulfill. People like me are smart and chose a cost effective alternative.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:42 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Boston University has a well respected online MBA.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM

Default Whatever You Say!

Hmmm, given that I am teaching leadership and management currently at a major state university and working as a consultant in the field . . . I don't think I'm behind the times at all; I see dozens of student experiences, job-seeking for example, every semester. I'd say that if you think a degree from an a fairly unknown online school with a low graduation rate is as good as a degree from a known school and a respected program, I'd say you are the one stuck in a different age (and possibly not in reality).

Is it better than no degree? Sure.

Is it better when combined with relevant experience? Sure.

Is it going to make you REALLY stand out over the 100+ candidates you could be competing with? Less likely.

Yes, it is about having a "complete package" -- though part of that is having a degree that represents a quality education and not simply a checked box on an application or promotion evaluation. I've hired and I've fired, so I'm not at all ignorant when it comes to what makes a candidate stand out in a competitive economy.

But best of luck to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Man, I missed this response for some reason?

You are STUCK in a different age and not acting in the current one. The brand name of your degree doesn't matter today as much as it might have in a different time (and I would argue if it EVER mattered) across the board.

Employers today are looking for the complete package, that's of experience, relevant education, relevant references, and you having a NETWORK already established in some fashion. When you bring this entire package to Employers you are pretty much all set in obtaining and getting promoted within your field.

The Brand Name of the degree ONLY matters to those less than 1% of positions in which you might be looking for top large corporate positions, working on Wallstreet, going to Law School, and of course going to Medical School. For EVERYTHING ELSE.........your brand name college degree isn't required.

You can put your "Associates, MPA, and EdD" up against my WGU MBA all day long, what it comes down to is WHAT TYPE of positions we are applying for and if we already have the relevant experience along with the relevant number of references within our profile package.

For example, I work in Commercial Finance with nearly 8 years of experience with excellent performance, references and a network. I have an MBA (from WGU), along three bachelor's degrees including one of those degrees from University of Michigan. If I'm interviewing and YOU are interviewing with your degrees, certifications but NO prior Commercial Finance experience.........who do you think is going to win the position assuming we both are efficient interviewers?

People like you give these colleges excuses to continue raising their tuition costs. People like me who have to WORK for everything and PAY out of pocket for education, we refuse to pay $100,000 for an MBA when we aren't looking to go to WallStreet. The WGU MBA is a bargain and it fulfills the requirements that it needs to fulfill. People like me are smart and chose a cost effective alternative.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Excellent!

Now THAT would be a solid choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Boston University has a well respected online MBA.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:06 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
Quote:
Hmmm, given that I am teaching leadership and management currently at a major state university and working as a consultant in the field . . . I don't think I'm behind the times at all; I see dozens of student experiences, job-seeking for example, every semester. I'd say that if you think a degree from an a fairly unknown online school with a low graduation rate is as good as a degree from a known school and a respected program, I'd say you are the one stuck in a different age (and possibly not in reality).

Is it better than no degree? Sure.

Is it better when combined with relevant experience? Sure.

Is it going to make you REALLY stand out over the 100+ candidates you could be competing with? Less likely.

Yes, it is about having a "complete package" -- though part of that is having a degree that represents a quality education and not simply a checked box on an application or promotion evaluation. I've hired and I've fired, so I'm not at all ignorant when it comes to what makes a candidate stand out in a competitive economy.

But best of luck to you!

Professor,

No, you are behind the times, doesn't matter if you teach or not....that's irrelevant. You are putting too much of an emphasis on the brand name of the degree and not enough of an emphasis on the other aspects of the "package" such as the experience, network, and references.

Your way of thought causes students to attend a $100k program to compete for jobs that other people who only paid $40k for their degrees are competing (and winning) with.

YOU believe that the people in the competitive pool will have a leg up based on their brand name degree, and that's wrong in 2014. What will give you a leg up is your EXPERIENCE, references as well as your networking capabilities.

And what job are you applying for with 100 plus candidates? Sounds like you are hot shotting your resume out instead of doing tailored, specific and niche job applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities