Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not at all in my case. Long hours of study after classes all day and working every evening, with no time for any social life and not enough sleep. Looking back I think the best time was the years we were buying our first house and starting to have kids.

People that really had fun in college were those whose parents paid for it and they treated it like a big 4 year party. Those of us that worked to pay for it without parental assistance and graduated without debt found it to be somewhat exhausting.

Very True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
My memories of college:

-Social anxiety fueled by the perceived pressure to live up to the college stereotype of partying all the time
-Lots of acquaintances, no real friends
-Meaningless drunken one-night stands leading to complete emotional sterility
-Chronic procrastination, all-nighters, constant stress and pressure to get good grades
-Severe sleep deprivation, caffeine addiction, poor nutrition, binge drinking ending in vomiting more often than not
-The above factors combining to produce a general feeling of sh*ttiness 24/7, eventually leading to a diagnosis of clinical depression
-Disillusionment with life in general after learning the hard way all the lessons people try to teach you in high school but you don't listen because you're a naive rebellious teenager
So, you had a good time then.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:06 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Default Is college really supposed to be the best years of your life?

Naahh... 18-24 were the most tumultuous years of my life. When I was struggling and hardly making any money, that pretty much blew.

Nevertheless, in hindsight it was necessary to go through that experience to get to where I am now. Life is good. So, it's all for the best.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Nope, living in perpetual poverty with no money to enjoy life, spending way to many hours every week studying. Rude, socially inept professors, and classes ill never use. Can't wait to graduate and continue with real life. Going to college after being in the workforce for years has felt like my life has just been on hold.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
My memories of college:

-Social anxiety fueled by the perceived pressure to live up to the college stereotype of partying all the time
-Lots of acquaintances, no real friends
-Meaningless drunken one-night stands leading to complete emotional sterility
-Chronic procrastination, all-nighters, constant stress and pressure to get good grades
-Severe sleep deprivation, caffeine addiction, poor nutrition, binge drinking ending in vomiting more often than not
-The above factors combining to produce a general feeling of sh*ttiness 24/7, eventually leading to a diagnosis of clinical depression
-Disillusionment with life in general after learning the hard way all the lessons people try to teach you in high school but you don't listen because you're a naive rebellious teenager
For me the acquaintances part was what I didn't like. My college campus was so unfriendly. Between that and having no money I couldn't wait to graduate.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I think the "best years of your life" label came along back when most people didn't have to have full-time jobs to get through school. It was supposed to mean a relatively carefree life, aside from the academic requirements. It's not so carefree anymore. Besides, I always thought that calling the college years "the best of your life" was a backhanded way of writing off the entire remainder of your life, which isn't a good idea! What expectations then does it set up for your adult life? As if it's all downhill from college until you die! No thanks!

Old 01-04-2014, 01:59 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The only people I have ever heard say "college is fun" were women.

Just thought that was interesting.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
My college years were marvelous. I commuted 25 miles in carpools and the moment I stepped into the car in the morning until arriving home in the evening was great. All the stress at home left my mind and I never thought of problems at home while on campus. My two children were in school and my husband job was finished by mid-afternoon, so he was home when the children arrived home. My marriage was not good, so the university served as an offset, I'm sure.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:33 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I got married my last year of college. If I was to rate the BEST years of my life it was the first 5 years we were married in our mid-twenties without the responsibilities of having children. Our jobs were new adventures, we were making a comfortable income, and no one to have to answer to but each other.
Yes, the first years of marriage before kids were the best for me, too.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Usually people say university is the best time of their lives for the following reasons:

- Did not have to work.
- No responsibilities other than school work.
- Surrounded by people around their own age.
- Got laid a lot!
- Partied a lot.
- Socialize a lot.
- Spring breaks.
- Summer vacations.
- Winter vacations.

Their lives are financed by either debt, their parents, trust fund, etc. as very few college students can afford the type of lifestyle they are living by earning money on their own. They are literally living in a sheltered bubble.

However, once they graduate the harsh realities set in!

- Tens of thousands of dollars of student loans.
- High unemployment or underemployment.

Those two facts pretty much sums it up, it is next to impossible to live without money. Compare that to being in college and of course they liked it better when they were in college which is why a lot of people want to postpone their entrance into the real world by getting a masters which is usually financed by more loans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities