Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 AM

15 posts, read 18,999 times

Advertisements

I am not in the states at the moment so I cant fill for my fasa and I have to wait for my transcript from my current school but that list is awesome thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,131,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar blossom View Post
I am not in the states at the moment so I cant fill for my fasa and I have to wait for my transcript from my current school but that list is awesome thank you.
What difference does it make if you are not in the states? It's an online process for the FAFSA. You don't have to submit your transcript with your application. Fill out the applications, submit that and then get your transcript. Not sure if your school does them electronically but if not, the have to mail it to the school. No one has every piece of their applications sent in at the same time because colleges won't accept a transcript from the student. It has to come from the school.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 AM

15 posts, read 18,999 times
Oh I didnt know the fasa was a online application I will talk to my mother this weekend to get the info I need. Also If I miss the merit aid deadline what does that mean

Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
You haven't missed the deadlines for all colleges! The list in this link is from last year, but it shouldn't be much different this year: List of Late Deadline Schools- Locate Colleges with Late Application Deadlines at Petersons.com

Merit aid is a different story. I'd suggest brushing up on the different kinds of financial aid: Student financial aid in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,409,287 times
Don't pursue any four year school this year, instead, try to sign up for a Community College that has a partnership with a four year school, BECAUSE not having you're FASA done and summited on time means you're on the hook for the FULL price of a semester where most good schools charge 30K. I would WAIT and go to a two year school unless you don't mind going to school paying big bucks where you've could have gone to school for half the price, moral of the story, Have we learned anything? get you're FASA squared away and have a plan in place for you're four year school in the fall of 2015.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar blossom View Post
Oh I didnt know the fasa was a online application I will talk to my mother this weekend to get the info I need. Also If I miss the merit aid deadline what does that mean
Many schools, almost all really, offer academic scholarships based on your GPA and test scores (ACT/SAT). Generally you need to have applied to those schools by Christmas-time or so. Some have February deadlines though. They are generally fairly large scholarships but if you qualify for substantial financial aid, it amounts to about the same usually.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Don't pursue any four year school this year, instead, try to sign up for a Community College that has a partnership with a four year school, BECAUSE not having you're FASA done and summited on time means you're on the hook for the FULL price of a semester where most good schools charge 30K. I would WAIT and go to a two year school unless you don't mind going to school paying big bucks where you've could have gone to school for half the price, moral of the story, Have we learned anything? get you're FASA squared away and have a plan in place for you're four year school in the fall of 2015.
FAFSA isn't due yet so she is just fine. There is no need to go to a community college. "You're FASA summited" deadlines are anywhere from March-August.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM

919 posts, read 1,683,879 times
A lot of schools have rolling admission and will still have openings late in the spring; one that I think of immediately is Mercy college.

Also at this point, beggars (not sure if that is spelled right lol) can't be choosers. If you want to go to school asap and cannot get all of the paper work done than look into community college. Many community colleges in the Northeast region have housing. Right off the bat I think of Ulster, OCCC, Dutchess, and Bourough of Manhattan Community College I believe. (Can you tell I'm from NY?) There are options.

I would fill out the fafsa immediately, when I was applying for schools I was told to put down schools that I might be interested in even if my application wasn't done- this may give you a shot at merit and need based aid that you may jot have a shot at if you wait long.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:51 AM

https://fafsa.ed.gov/index.htm

Here is the link to the FAFSA. You really need to do your applications first because you need to add the schools that need to get your FAFSA information on the FAFSA application. I would get a list of schools done in the next couple days and get the applications in within the week. Many of these schools are on the common application, https://www.commonapp.org/Login so you can fill out one application and apply to several schools at once.

Do you have any idea what you want to study in college or where in the US you want to go to school? Two schools on the test optional list that I know of that are generous with financial aid are Dickinson in PA and Gustavus in MN. Both are good schools in smaller towns. I'm sure other people here will have some suggestions for you as well.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,588,559 times
There are a lot of unknowns here that could affect what you should do next, not least of which is how attractive you are as an applicant. I think that you would have a hard time getting full consideration at most competitive schools given that it's January and you haven't taken either the SAT or the ACT. The next administration of the SAT is March 8 and you haven't missed the deadline for that yet. I would encourage you to go to their web page and find out what you need to do, including finding foreign test sites. SAT - College Board - The Most Widely Used College Admission Exam

I think that the people who are encouraging you to consider community college are making a good point. It will take research because it's vital to know what credits will transfer to a four-year institution, but community colleges have the great benefit of being a lot less expensive than four year schools, so it's a more affordable way to obtain some of your general education credits. This course of action also has the advantage of giving you more time to figure out what you want to do, where you want to apply, what your financial aid possibilities are, etc.

I don't know what kind of school you've been attending or whether they have a guidance department to help you through this process, but if they don't you might be eligible to get some help from the public high school in your home town, and it might be worthwhile to reach out to them. From reading your posts it appears that you are pretty unfamiliar with all of these questions (another reason not to rush into things), and it would be useful to have the assistance of someone who can spend time going through everything, maybe helping edit your essays, and help you come to a better understanding of what you are looking for and what your best options are.

I'll also point something out that may seem obnoxious but is not meant to be. Throughout your posts you have referred to the "fasa", even though many people have used the correct term. It is "FAFSA" and it's an acronym for "Free Application for Federal Student Aid". The fact that you don't know this or how to apply or sign up for the SAT/ACT doesn't mean that you can't go to college, but it's an indicator of just how much help you might need in going through this. I hope you can get someone who is familiar with college admissions to help you get it all figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities