Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 19,032 times

Advertisements

Also I have taken the advice given here and started a college list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
It's good you're thinking about residency. CCs usually set a lower bar to establish residency for tuition purposes than 4-year publics, but it can vary from state to state. Depending on the rules/savings, it may make more sense to establish residency and start down the road, despite the 'opportunity cost' of delaying.

Also, most financial aid is year-to-year, the exception being certain scholarship programs.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM

Yeah and if I moved up north for a cc then I would have to rent a apartment and I dont think i'm ready for that

Old 01-17-2014, 03:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar blossom View Post
I was hoping I could do a pre-med major because at this point I want to go to medical school.
That makes it easier. There really isn't a "pre-med" major--it's more of a concentration where you take the right classes to get you on track to take the MCAT. Most pre-med's major in biology, chemistry but you don't have to, but pretty much every college has a pre-med track and advisers so no worries there.

Are you a minority? Do you want to stay in Florida? Out of state private schools cost the same whether you live in that state or not. They are also your best bet for getting good money! I would definitely apply to Dickinson! Give us a list of states you would be ok living in for college and people will give you ideas of other schools to look into. At this point though, you probably won't have a lot of choices and have to kind of take what you get but there are plenty of very nice schools out there where you can make the most of it and get a very good education. I would focus on smaller, private schools for now.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:04 PM

Yes I am a minority and I dont want to stay in florida.
The states I dont mind living in is
Massachusetts
Jersey
New york
California
Connecticut
Michigan
Pennsylvania
Some midwest states

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
No I dont have a specific college I want to attend but I know I want to be in the northeast. Community college is cool but I would love a 4 year experience and a chance to leave home.
Some schools have a Feb 1 deadline you can still make that. Other schools have rolling admissions where they accept applications until their class is full. Do some research and find those schools. I know that UCF in Florida and Belmont University in TN have rolling admissions. There are many others. I only know these because my kids or people they know applied.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:10 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,761 times
Quote:
Hello I am currently in high school at the moment , and I want to go to college , but I h av e no idea what to do next.
I spent two years of high school (11th / 12th) grade in another country and I am coming bact to the states in February . My problem is by the time I take my sat/act test get everything together to apply to ccollege the deadlines will be over.

So my questions are

1. When can I apply and do I have to wait till next January ?
2. Do I fill out my fasa for this year or wait till next January ?
3. If I do have to wait till next January does anybody have any suggestions as to how to remain productive and occupy the time.
4. Last but not least do I have any other options to get to college this year.

Thank you guys in advance for any help you can give me because I am so confused and I feel like my life is over right now and I will be left behind while everyone else moves on.
What is you GPA? At least, expected? Count your 9-12 grades.
What do you want to do in your life? Did you make a list of colleges you want to go to? Is this hi-end or low-end colleges?

This Fall semester admission season is almost over. Feb1 was the last deadline for good universities. You can still go applytexas and find some places to apply to, but they probably want US test scores.
Some colleges don't care about scores, but again, it's not easy to find them.
1) Schedule your tests asap. schedule at least 2 of each tests. Do your homework hard (means, buy SAT and ACT prep books and study them hard). Get results, send to your first-choice colleges.
2) Search "colleges with Spring semester admission". Read about them.
3) Open Common App account. Enter these colleges there. Make sure they have spring admission.
4) Read hard about writing application essays.
5) Start filling up application data in the CA and writing essays. Keep looking for colleges.
6) Register at US news to get a good understanding of how high your scores have to be to get accepted to colleges of your choice. (around $30, pays for itself by saving money on applications)
7) start Parchment acct, fill it out, search colleges you like, mark them as "interested" and see what parchment says about your chances to get there. They know how to judge you, their estimated are pretty accurate.' You will need Parchment anyway to send your transcripts around.
Gather info, make a decision.
Go step by step
If you decide to wait for spring admission, find yourself a job for summer and fall. Colleges will ask what did you do with your free time.
If you are not a genius and your goal is not universities 1-25 (well, 1-50) on the US news list, and if money is an issue, go apply for local community college that has an agreement with good local U for transferring students after their 1 or 2 years in this college. Which state will you live in while in the US?

Last edited by BusyMeAK; 02-02-2014 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: speling/grammar errors

Old 02-02-2014, 11:30 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,655 times
You can always go to a community college for a year while you wait to get accepted to a university, but it usually doesn't take a year. I went there to complete core credits (classes that everyone takes). I then transferred to a university.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,134 times
You might want to go the community college route and live at home while you do your research on 4 year colleges/programs. Take the SAT or ACT in in Mar/April. You should be able to prep for it if you start now.

It really shouldn't take long at all to get a list of schools together and examine their respective admission criteria. You can also apply for spring semester at some schools, so you might only wind up a semester behind. But if you are serious, you need to get going on this.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:50 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,241 times
I don't know if all or most colleges are like the ones here in Florida, but if you start out in a community college or another 4 year college, you have to wait until you've attend 2 years of schooling and then apply as a transfer student. Find out what the college policy is on transfers or spring/summer enrollment. Two years at a community college, you will be able to prove yourself as a worthy student, but it is no guarantee acceptance.

On a college tour last year, the speaker said that if you miss the applicatin deadline, your chances of getting accepted in has gone down 99%. The message? Don't miss the deadline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities