Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My primary reason for going to college is:
To learn about a wide variety of things to expand my mind? 15 30.61%
To learn enough about the technical aspects of my future career 31 63.27%
I don't really know 3 6.12%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times

Advertisements

If you go to college without a clear goal in mind, you're just wasting money and time, but really a ton of money. So the big question is what to do after college? Job? Run a business? Especially if things don't work out in the end so one should have a plan B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
People keep saying: "College is not about getting a job!" But......

And hopefully the people who actually fall for this are the ones who actually don't have to work for a living.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:44 AM

89 posts, read 202,699 times
In my opinion, the primary purpose to go to the college is to get a good job in the future. During the collage period, we can also attain many things, not just the work skills. For example, you can improve your inter-personal communicating ability and the self-dependance ability; moreover, you can also expand your mind and shape the correct outlook of life and value. All these will help you to find a decent job in the future. However, a collage degree will not guarantee a good for you, since getting a good job is determined by many factors.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
There is a job and then there is a career.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I started college in 2004 when the economy was much healthier. The last thing on my mind at 18 was a career. I was able to work enough odd jobs to pay my meager bills and have some spending money. I certainly didn't know what I wanted to do for life and no one I knew at the time had much trouble finding work.

I've always been more intellectual than hands-on, enjoyed the classic liberal arts education, and had my heart set on a history major for quite awhile. I spent a lot of time in sociology, political science, and religion courses. I was almost done with my LA degree when I dropped out for a semester due to personal reasons. By the time I got back in 2008, my politics had changed, the economy was crumbling and I became fascinated with economics. I was a much better fit in business school than I was in the College of Arts and Sciences. I had better plans when I graduated business school than when I dropped out that semester, but it wasn't enough.

I enjoy and admire the traditional liberal arts education, but it doesn't fit into today's tight labor market. In years past, there were usually enough jobs (and not enough people to fill them) that a bright liberal arts graduate would be hired then trained on the job. There was enough "slack" in the labor market that the LA graduates could be "absorbed" and still find meaningful employment.

There are now generally more qualified applicants than there are available jobs, so only the best qualified will be taken. With college enrollment up, this leaves more graduates (especially LA graduates) fighting over a shrinking pool of "entry level" jobs. The slack is no longer there.

Increased demand used to drive hiring, but increases in automation efficiency, offshoring, and productivity gains from existing workers have lessened the demand for workers, further tightening an already cyclically damaged labor market. Many workers, especially the oldest and those with the fewest marketable skills (young LA grads), are finding themselves structurally out of the labor market or stuck in dead end/meaningless jobs.

LA doesn't fit into today's economy. One would think that if it is no longer viable, that resources will begin to be transitioned out of the liberal arts, and I think we're already seeing this take place. I think society is already seeing a decline in critical thinking and writing skills, as well as a general ignorance of the world around them. These are all things an LA education provides. I'd hate to lose this model in the pursuit of pure economic gain.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM

291 posts, read 505,868 times
Yea, I'm TOTALLY in college for "personal enlightment". College isn't a hobby, it's an investment. I truly feel bad for kids that do not have a clear sense of direction as to what they want to do in college and are just going because it's "expected" of them.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:43 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,047 times
College used to be "not about getting a job." It is now ALL about getting a job. The ones that now go to college for fulfillment get non marketable degrees and complain about not being able to find a job. Those I know who went to college to get a job, with one already in mind, are doing pretty well for themselves. Those that went for enrichment or to get generic degrees arent fairing so well.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
College used to be "not about getting a job." It is now ALL about getting a job. The ones that now go to college for fulfillment get non marketable degrees and complain about not being able to find a job. Those I know who went to college to get a job, with one already in mind, are doing pretty well for themselves. Those that went for enrichment or to get generic degrees arent fairing so well.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Mission Statement | Harvard University

Mission Statement | President Mary Sue Coleman

MIT Facts 2014: Mission

Board of Trustees at Duke University: Mission of Duke University

https://www.cornell.edu/about/mission/

Hmm, none of these schools (and most decent schools for that matter) have their mission being about jobs. You're mixing up the purpose of college with the purpose of why people are going to college. There's a big difference.

I went to college for an education with no job in mind. I am doing just fine... just like the several other thousands of students that attended my school for the same reason.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Mission Statement | Harvard University

Mission Statement | President Mary Sue Coleman

MIT Facts 2014: Mission

Board of Trustees at Duke University: Mission of Duke University

https://www.cornell.edu/about/mission/

Hmm, none of these schools (and most decent schools for that matter) have their mission being about jobs. You're mixing up the purpose of college with the purpose of why people are going to college. There's a big difference.

I went to college for an education with no job in mind. I am doing just fine... just like the several other thousands of students that attended my school for the same reason.
Ok.

But if that were true, what would you say about a job candidate that was collecting degrees, which may or may not be connected to each other, but each subject was intellectually stimulating to him/her.

Lifetime students so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities