Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:58 PM

919 posts, read 3,184,263 times

Advertisements

I never finished mine, and no regrets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Probably half the people in my program are 40, 50, or older. I am in my 50s. So go for it! I have always done very well in school, have A average this semester. But also love to read and naturally do alot of self study anyway. Also, our director makes our projects seem fun and motivating, even though they are really difficult. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM

43 posts, read 160,513 times
I went back... turned in my thesis for my master's and turned 40 on the same day...

It was a great experience. Being in grad school as an "adult" offers a totally different perspective. For me, I was better grounded - had better time management skills - had a handle on my priorities - was more compelled to learn - took classes that mattered - versus just trying to get through...

I say go for it!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc0270 View Post
I went back... turned in my thesis for my master's and turned 40 on the same day...

It was a great experience. Being in grad school as an "adult" offers a totally different perspective. For me, I was better grounded - had better time management skills - had a handle on my priorities - was more compelled to learn - took classes that mattered - versus just trying to get through...

I say go for it!
CONGRATULATIONS!! Good going

Old 12-12-2007, 05:26 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,599 times
I didn't get my MS til I was 33. I am still considering PA, MA, or med school. Why not? The way the system is now I have at least 30 years til I can retire anyway. That's how I look at it: How many years can I be productive in my new field? Plus, you have to consider your happiness.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,351 times
My husband went back for his MBA in his mid-thirties when our second child was three months old and graduated when our third child was six months old! I was very proud of him-- commuting almost two hours each way to school, working & traveling, and finding time for our family. The toughest part of those two years were the personal family sacrifice but it was worth it in the end. The student loans ... that's another story! Once all my kids are in school, I think I'm going to go back for my master's degree.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:00 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,817 times
I got my MS when I was 29. But I would say well over half the people in my classes were over 30....and I was close enough to it.
GO FOR IT!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 PM

18 posts, read 125,379 times
I just found this board tonight by googling random things to make myself feel better about chasing a doctorate in psych. I want to thank those of you who shared the wisdom of... "you'll be old anyway....why not be old w/the degree?"

I'm struggling with... "I won't start until I'm 30 so I won't be a licensed psychologist until I'm 36..."

Truthfully, though, there's no reason for me not to go after it as long as I can find time to visit my parents as they age... and my nephew as he grows up... but I'm having those same issues now, and I'm not in school...

Thank you for saying that about age... it's appreciated! It helped.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:17 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirl2008 View Post
I just found this board tonight by googling random things to make myself feel better about chasing a doctorate in psych. I want to thank those of you who shared the wisdom of... "you'll be old anyway....why not be old w/the degree?"

I'm struggling with... "I won't start until I'm 30 so I won't be a licensed psychologist until I'm 36..."

Truthfully, though, there's no reason for me not to go after it as long as I can find time to visit my parents as they age... and my nephew as he grows up... but I'm having those same issues now, and I'm not in school...

Thank you for saying that about age... it's appreciated! It helped.
I was getting my MA in counseling when I was 28-29 and I was always the youngest in class. Most of the students were in their 40's, 50's and 60's. So, there's nothing to worry about. You become a better psychologist/therapist as you age and mature.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
I thought some might find this article interesting:

77-year-old to graduate from ASU

A 77-year-old Mesa woman will graduate with thousands of 20-somethings from Arizona State University on Thursday. Louise Alflen says for most of her life, she considered a college degree out of reach. She says her father always told her she was supposed to get married and be a mother.

That's just what she did. She and her husband had five children and ran a car dealership in Wayland, Michigan.But Alflen never gave up on higher education. Year in and year out, she took night classes.

After moving to the Phoenix area in 1980, Alflen worked to obtain an associate degree from Mesa Community College.

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/215729.php (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities