Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 09:32 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
My husband went back for his MBA in his mid-thirties when our second child was three months old and graduated when our third child was six months old! I was very proud of him-- commuting almost two hours each way to school, working & traveling, and finding time for our family. The toughest part of those two years were the personal family sacrifice but it was worth it in the end. The student loans ... that's another story! Once all my kids are in school, I think I'm going to go back for my master's degree.
Congratulations to you and your husband on his MBA. With the schedule he had, it's amazing there was even time to conceive #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 09:08 PM

605 posts, read 865,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I wondered whether people would, if given the chance (i.e. finances, family responsibilities, etc.) go back to grad school in their 30's or older--for a PhD or professional degree, such as dentistry, law, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. Would it be worth it to you to go back to school after your 20's? Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the experience like being a non-traditional graduate or professional student?
Heck Ya! I'll be about 40 when I finish my Masters. Night classes (and some day) are filled with more mature - enthusiastic students partly because they do have families and sometimes careers they have in the day.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 PM

18 posts, read 68,937 times
I'm currently working and attending school to attain my doctorate degree. Haven't you heard that the age of 30 is the "new age of 18"? I believe you should go for education at any age. Besides, when you pursue education at a more advance age you will probably have a better sense about how you'd like to apply your knowledge and what career you'd like to pursue. And most importantly, by pursuing a terminal degree at such an old age you may die early and get a free education thereby "sticking it to da man".
Fight the Power...Intellectually!

Old 01-01-2008, 08:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
Quote:
I wondered whether people would, if given the chance (i.e. finances, family responsibilities, etc.) go back to grad school in their 30's or older--for a PhD or professional degree, such as dentistry, law, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, etc. Would it be worth it to you to go back to school after your 20's? Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the experience like being a non-traditional graduate or professional student?
My husband did this. Went back at age 36 and graduated at age 38. He is now a Physician's Assistant.
While he was in Grad school, we had a 2 year old already, and I was pregnant with our 2nd child and had our 2nd child while he was still in school. He worked only on the weekends, but we had invested years prior for this, to supplement income, so I could continue to stay home with the kids.
It was a struggle (major budgeting), and he studied at the school library until 11pm. some nights (too many distractions at home). But we did it and I'm glad we did.
I will add in that most of his class was full of 25 years olds (average age), so he was the "old" one, per say, in the class. LOL Even older than one of his Professors. LOL

Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM

48 posts, read 196,363 times
I know this is an old thread, but I am just so happy to read these stories. I was unhappy with my job, always wanted to try living in the US, and had wanted to do a Masters for 10 years. So, at age 38, I accepted a scholarship and will soon be starting my last year of my Masters program. I find that I am much better at managing my time with school at this age and like someone else said, I can draw from my experiences in helping me learn. It does, at times, feel a bit uncomfortable when most other people in the program are in there early to mid 20s. As I have gotten to know classmates I have surprisingly found a few who are in their early to mid 30s. I am glad to be doing this but it does come at a huge cost of missing out on 2 years salary.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I did. Still in my 40s, I earned both Masters and JD. Maybe when I'm in my 50s, I earn that PhD.

Learning is lifelong. I love learning and being educated!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 AM

551 posts, read 1,573,626 times
I went back at 37 and I got my master's at 39. I loved school so much better the second time around! And I was a better student. It was hard not bring at home with my kids but their Dad was there and it was a relatively short period of time in the scheme of things. I would highly recommend it. In my field, Education, the money isn't all that much better; but the knowledge I have in my head helps me to be the best teacher I can be.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times
I'm 32 and very seriously contemplating a return for a Master's degree. I have no spouse, no children, and no pets. The only thing I do have is a string of very, VERY disappointing jobs, none of which ever paid very well and always left me lacking for intellectual challenge or emotional fulfillment. Another degree probably won't help my chances so long as the economy stays in the toilet, but even so, I don't think it can hurt either. Also, like a previous poster, I love learning and the thrill of inquiry. I miss being in school. We shall see.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM

48 posts, read 196,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
I'm 32 and very seriously contemplating a return for a Master's degree. I have no spouse, no children, and no pets. The only thing I do have is a string of very, VERY disappointing jobs, none of which ever paid very well and always left me lacking for intellectual challenge or emotional fulfillment. Another degree probably won't help my chances so long as the economy stays in the toilet, but even so, I don't think it can hurt either. Also, like a previous poster, I love learning and the thrill of inquiry. I miss being in school. We shall see.
If I were in your shoes, I would *definitely* go back. You are still relatively very young and getting the Masters will inevitably open doors for you. There are a couple of other side benefits you might not have thought of. School is a great place to meet a partner. Also, school is a great place to do some networking. You may get a job you like offered to you.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:29 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
I had just turned 29 three days before getting my Masters.

Yes, I would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities