Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 07:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Whatever, indeed!

From the professional PT association:

All PT education programs have transitioned to the DPT degree, except one. Both degrees currently prepare students to be eligible for the PT license examination in all 50 states. To maintain or be granted accreditation, programs will be required to award the DPT degree by 2015 and will have until 2017 to come into compliance with this decision.
Physical Therapist (PT) Education Overview
I know this.

The whatever was for your instant dismissal of Med school applicants having more success in their 2nd year but when the same was said about PT.....

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-13-2014 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: removed unhelpful remarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 06:35 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,147,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Many students that get rejected the first year spend that next year beefing up their application so it make perfect sense that they get accepted the next year...

I've never heard about that happening in PT school though....
This is a fact and isn't an urban legend. I can list off 10 students I know in vet and dental school who had to slightly beef up their packet. I gave one example. (DD's roommate in college). Same student same GPA. Nothing impressive but she is a smart girl. She got a 19 on her DAT and around 3.5 GPA in the sciences. She re-took the DAT and got another 19 (a 19 is an average DAT score for incoming dentists). She re-took organic (got a B the 1st time and then got an A on the re-take). She got a part time job pushing paper at a dental clinic while she waited to re-apply. That's it.

The 1st year she got one interview (UofMN) and was declined at the Uof MN. The other 10 schools didn't even want her to write a 2nd essay. The following year she re-applied to the same school. She got 3 offers (Ohio, UofMN, and Marquette). She didn't bother to interview at Midwestern or (I forgot the other college). She chose UofMN because of the lower cost.

I can give Katiana another 10 examples. Applying the following year and showing some improvements is what schools expect to see if you fall a little short. If I put myself in their shoes, I'd be nervous about someone who I wasn't sure had the brains or drive. If you accept them and they drop, the school cannot re-fill that spot. They now have lost $200K-$300K of revenue. Considering my daughter DAT was slightly higher and her GPA (overall) and in the sciences was 0.3 highers than hers, I predict she too would have gotten in the UofMN on her 2nd try (she was wait listed year 1). Oh, she got an A in honors Organic the 1st time and worked in healthcare while going to college. The facts are the UofMN didn't want her the 1st time around. It's all to common. The UofMN numbers were 1100 applicants, 230 offers and 95 accepted. Looking at those numbers, OF COURSE there will be a lot of people who get turned down year one.

I cannot speak for PT. But I can speak for vet school. We have several daughter friends that are in vet school and have experienced the same thing with different stories. I think we can agree that UofMN may be different than CO. Also, PT may be different in the same school as a dental path.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-13-2014 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Nice she has you to cover those costs...we will help some, maybe with living expenses, but the rest is on her .
After year one, I'm done covering the whole nickel. We passed on vacations, remodeling etc. That wasn't a problem as it is just stuff. I have a hard time seeing my kids with that kind of debt. But I don't want to eat Alpo dog food at age 80 either. Luckily my sons grad school and UG are "free". I've told my DD many times she should be thanking him often. That's how I rationalized helping her as much as we did. She didn't pay a nickel for UG and just $3K (summer work) for the dental college. At least I will eventually get some free dental work.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
After year one, I'm done covering the whole nickel. We passed on vacations, remodeling etc. That wasn't a problem as it is just stuff. I have a hard time seeing my kids with that kind of debt. But I don't want to eat Alpo dog food at age 80 either. Luckily my sons grad school and UG are "free". I've told my DD many times she should be thanking him often. That's how I rationalized helping her as much as we did. She didn't pay a nickel for UG and just $3K (summer work) for the dental college. At least I will eventually get some free dental work.
I'm hoping the same..free dental work when I'm old and expensive

We really should have had more kids though--a mechanic, a handyman, etc. so we could get all kinds of free stuff in our old age

So far the kids aren't paying anything for UG, so that is nice.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,705,737 times
Quote:
I'm hoping the same..free dental work when I'm old and expensive

We really should have had more kids though--a mechanic, a handyman, etc. so we could get all kinds of free stuff in our old age

So far the kids aren't paying anything for UG, so that is nice.
Lol, it's good to know your kids don't have to struggle.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Lol, it's good to know your kids don't have to struggle.
Yep--they worked their tails off in high school, got good grades and got a lot of merit scholarships to pay for their school

Old 03-13-2014, 06:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
I know this.

The whatever was for your instant dismissal of Med school applicants having more success in their 2nd year but when the same was said about PT.....
You misunderstood my post.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:28 AM

My DD was over yesterday (she attends dental school in AZ where we winter). I asked her to guess the percentage of 1st year students.

She said about 1/3 were accepted the 1st year out of UG, 1/3 got in the 2nd year after UG by re-applying and about 1/3 having unique stories (going back after 4 years, 40 year old hygienists going back to be a dentist, etc). These numbers are not scientific. They are her guesstimates.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM

35,047 posts, read 31,242,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In 2011 young adults with a college degree earned about $45K per year (average). Those without a college degree earned about $30K per year. It only takes 2 years to make back your $30K debt. Why do you think that isn't worth it?

Fast Facts
$45k is going to be a hard mark to hit with a degree unless you are in a high COL area. I just now broke the $50k barrier and could have never done it living in the South. If you are a regular person living somewhere like the South, a nonspecialized degree will NOT be worth it.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
$45k is going to be a hard mark to hit with a degree unless you are in a high COL area. I just now broke the $50k barrier and could have never done it living in the South. If you are a regular person living somewhere like the South, a nonspecialized degree will NOT be worth it.
Not really--average salary nationally, which has been quoted in many different threads here, for 1st year college grads in 2013 was just shy of $50,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities