Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,197,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
One suggestion I would make is Vassar College. They have an excellent record of their graduates getting into medical school. It is an exceptional school.
It's too late for her to apply to Vassar or any other school for that matter. If she had done this research 2 years ago when there was time her daughter could have applied and visited many schools but middle of February senior year is just too late to start this process. She's been accepted to 3 schools, she needs to visit those schools and pick one between now and May 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,234,921 times
Be careful of anyone advertising a high med school admission rate.
A lot of times, they will not support your application to med school if they don't feel it's strong enough.
You can still apply, of course, but it will be tougher.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Be careful of anyone advertising a high med school admission rate.
A lot of times, they will not support your application to med school if they don't feel it's strong enough.
You can still apply, of course, but it will be tougher.
Whatever--ALL of the schools weed out candidates that don't have a shot of getting into med school..it's not like its some conspiracy and the "top" schools do more of that than any other school. Like I said, many of the schools have 100% acceptance rates for those that apply...and the "top" schools can't claim that

Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,862,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's too late for her to apply to Vassar or any other school for that matter. If she had done this research 2 years ago when there was time her daughter could have applied and visited many schools but middle of February senior year is just too late to start this process. She's been accepted to 3 schools, she needs to visit those schools and pick one between now and May 1st.
When I applied to college a lot of public colleges had rolling admissions and kept on accepting students until their freshman class was full. Also, a lot of private schools have soft deadlines where they will still consider late applications if there are spaces left. It won't be top 25 schools, but you just call the admin. dept and ask and many will give you the lowdown.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
When I applied to college a lot of public colleges had rolling admissions and kept on accepting students until their freshman class was full. Also, a lot of private schools have soft deadlines where they will still consider late applications if there are spaces left. It won't be top 25 schools, but you just call the admin. dept and ask and many will give you the lowdown.
Yes, that is true, but the deadlines for any scholarships has passed and money seems to be an issue. Plus, they are only a couple weeks away from FAFSA deadlines for most schools so that money is gone too...

Old 02-12-2014, 02:54 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Yes, that is true, but the deadlines for any scholarships has passed and money seems to be an issue. Plus, they are only a couple weeks away from FAFSA deadlines for most schools so that money is gone too...
'That money' refers to SEOG/Perkins/Work-study "campus-based" aid programs - at some schools those funds may be significant or they may be a pittance. And the family may/may not have qualified for those programs in any case. So I wouldn't jump to dissuading someone from still looking at what's out there - the private sector will certainly be tighter, but those schools who are struggling with enrollments may be willing to flex on deadlines. Of course, those will be other 2nd/3rd tier schools.

Pell, Stafford, or PLUS loans would still be available at any school. I agree that I wouldn't apply now hoping for gold, but especially if you were looking at a lower cost in-state school there might still be significant savings over the options on the table even if you'd missed scholarship or campus-based aid deadlines.

There are still some decent publics with later deadlines. If I were a NYer I'd opt for SUNY-Albany over any of the OP's, personally, and their deadlines are still seemingly upcoming for both admission and scholarships.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
'That money' refers to SEOG/Perkins/Work-study "campus-based" aid programs - at some schools those funds may be significant or they may be a pittance. And the family may/may not have qualified for those programs in any case. So I wouldn't jump to dissuading someone from still looking at what's out there - the private sector will certainly be tighter, but those schools who are struggling with enrollments may be willing to flex on deadlines. Of course, those will be other 2nd/3rd tier schools.

Pell, Stafford, or PLUS loans would still be available at any school. I agree that I wouldn't apply now hoping for gold, but especially if you were looking at a lower cost in-state school there might still be significant savings over the options on the table even if you'd missed scholarship or campus-based aid deadlines.

There are still some decent publics with later deadlines. If I were a NYer I'd opt for SUNY-Albany over any of the OP's, personally, and their deadlines are still seemingly upcoming for both admission and scholarships.
Go back and read her posts...she wants an Ivy caliber school because in her mind these other schools aren't good enough for her daughter. She's been asking these same questions for a year now and ignores every answer she is given...

Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Go back and read her posts...she wants an Ivy caliber school because in her mind these other schools aren't good enough for her daughter. She's been asking these same questions for a year now and ignores every answer she is given...
True, and the OP may be someone we just can't get through to. But some other reader with a similar question may still benefit from the discussion

Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,463,307 times
Quote:
If it's been a year, I'm sure every possible school has already been suggested.

Heck, a google search will bring up all the info she needs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-12-2014 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Removed unkind comment

Old 02-12-2014, 03:21 PM

22,450 posts, read 47,432,219 times
Actually, it is TWO years.
I remember when this was asked...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-planning.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities