Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times

Advertisements

Basically I like a clear transcript to start over on.

I just didn't put much effort into the first 2 years of college. 1st semester was OK(3.2gpa). My 2nd semester was a 2.23 gpa. My 3rd & 4th semester I didn't pass any of my classes. I had near 1.0 GPA for those semesters. After the 3 horrible semesters I decided to grow up. I'm a solid B student with A's and C's here and there. It took me 7 years to complete my chemical engineering degree with a 3.1 GPA. I didn't have any internships, but I thought I was going to be OK with that GPA and since my last 4 years was pretty good and other students were in worse shape than me and no internships. I heard for most places that hire chemical engineers, a 3.0 gpa is minimum. It's almost been a whole year since I've graduated and I haven't even got called in for an interview. Throughout college I watched great students (3.8 or higher gpa) get awesome internships and scholarships. And now they have careers, homes, families, and cars that I greatly envy and regret not putting in all the effort that I should have. It's sad to say that I am in my mid 20's and I'm still living with mom and pop. I've pour a lot of time into applying for every job that I barely qualify for with no success. I did have some luck in life and my parents are willing to give me another chance.

I can pay to go to school again, but I need to live with my parents and they're OK with it. I like to go back to the same college I got in chemical engineering degree in. How do I get a complete restart? I don't care if I have to take every class again starting from the bottom. I like to redo my chemical engineering degree if I could. Or change it into another engineering field. How would my transcript look to an employer? I just like an employer to take a look at my transcript and see wow 4.0, or near it, and be interested in giving me an internship and job one day. I have a friend that finished his some art degree with a 2.0 gpa and wasn't successful. He came to this school in his mid 30's and finished with a chemical engineering degree with a 3.8ish gpa and got an internship at a power plant. I applied to the same internship but they were not interested in my 3.1 gpa. Now he's got a job there. How do I do that? Again, time isn't an issue. Money is limited. Can I change my name, go to the college, do whatever test they need, and start over a college career? I would just like to have what these friends of mine have.

Any advice helps, but please don't just say stuff like "are you sure you want to put the time and money into it?" cause I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,859 times
What type of positions have you been applying to? Do you have anything that would cause an employer to not want to hire you, such as an arrest record? You must be in the ~1% of unemployed engineers.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
No criminal record.

I'm applying to entry level engineers. Also internships and I also starting putting that I am willing to be an unpaid intern for 2 months now (since most engineers seem to get about $5,000 for 3 months of internship). Most places seem to want to see some type of experience with such a low gpa, but I can't get any without employment. I guess I am in that low 1%.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Advice to students, no matter their major: INTERN.

A good internship can even offset GPA.

My advice to you is probably look into joining the navy as an engineer.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
What type of positions have you been applying to? Do you have anything that would cause an employer to not want to hire you, such as an arrest record? You must be in the ~1% of unemployed engineers.
Aha. Ha. HA!

Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,082,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHunter View Post
Basically I like a clear transcript to start over on.

I just didn't put much effort into the first 2 years of college. 1st semester was OK(3.2gpa). My 2nd semester was a 2.23 gpa. My 3rd & 4th semester I didn't pass any of my classes. I had near 1.0 GPA for those semesters. After the 3 horrible semesters I decided to grow up. I'm a solid B student with A's and C's here and there. It took me 7 years to complete my chemical engineering degree with a 3.1 GPA. I didn't have any internships, but I thought I was going to be OK with that GPA and since my last 4 years was pretty good and other students were in worse shape than me and no internships. I heard for most places that hire chemical engineers, a 3.0 gpa is minimum. It's almost been a whole year since I've graduated and I haven't even got called in for an interview. Throughout college I watched great students (3.8 or higher gpa) get awesome internships and scholarships. And now they have careers, homes, families, and cars that I greatly envy and regret not putting in all the effort that I should have. It's sad to say that I am in my mid 20's and I'm still living with mom and pop. I've pour a lot of time into applying for every job that I barely qualify for with no success. I did have some luck in life and my parents are willing to give me another chance.

I can pay to go to school again, but I need to live with my parents and they're OK with it. I like to go back to the same college I got in chemical engineering degree in. How do I get a complete restart? I don't care if I have to take every class again starting from the bottom. I like to redo my chemical engineering degree if I could. Or change it into another engineering field. How would my transcript look to an employer? I just like an employer to take a look at my transcript and see wow 4.0, or near it, and be interested in giving me an internship and job one day. I have a friend that finished his some art degree with a 2.0 gpa and wasn't successful. He came to this school in his mid 30's and finished with a chemical engineering degree with a 3.8ish gpa and got an internship at a power plant. I applied to the same internship but they were not interested in my 3.1 gpa. Now he's got a job there. How do I do that? Again, time isn't an issue. Money is limited. Can I change my name, go to the college, do whatever test they need, and start over a college career? I would just like to have what these friends of mine have.

Any advice helps, but please don't just say stuff like "are you sure you want to put the time and money into it?" cause I am.
It's really hard to get a job in Chemical Engineering, especially with just a bachelors degree. There's way more degrees than there are jobs floating out there.

You may want to consider going into the environmental field. They hire ChemEs all day.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
Will your university even let you do that? It sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM

420 posts, read 768,004 times
Please do not waste another 40K on redoing your degree.

Try this instead:

-Find a company you want to work for (or several)
-Apply to related but entry level positions or internships. If you're hired too low, call it a paid internship
- If you suck at writing, get someone who doesn't to edit your resume and cover letter/s
-Gain the experience and try to open some doors
-If you are not taken on full time in 6mo-1yr apply to other positions while interning. If that isn't working see if you can get a better internship
-If you work your ass off at your first position, someone will notice.

You just gotta work your way up, not blow money on repeating or doing another bachelors. My buddy has a chemical eng degree with a 3.0 and has all of the things in life you're looking for. Of course, he was hired after interning for a year.

Why not apply all over the country? Why not try a MS program? How good do you think it looks if your resume reflects that you did the same degree twice? It doesn't show upward mobility at all.

Last edited by jaekn; 02-21-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Are you willing to move for a job? I'm thinking someone would loan you the money to move if you had a job offer.

The federal government has a few chemical engineering jobs open in different Departments and different locations.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keywo...Selected=False

There appears to be entry level openings at Grade 7 that go up to a Grade 13 (meaning after a period of time, you'd be a 13) in Georgia, Oklahoma and Utah (Air Force). Dept of Labor has a Grade 9 opening in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities