Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,005,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I remember students complaining about other students smoking outside at University of Texas at San Antonio. Even though they were several feet away from the buildings, students still had to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to those buildings.
Where I went to school it was almost an institution to smoke in front of certain buildings.

That was 15 years ago though. I have been on college campuses since and a LOT less people smoke these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Where I went to school it was almost an institution to smoke in front of certain buildings.

That was 15 years ago though. I have been on college campuses since and a LOT less people smoke these days.
I'm not sure that is something to be proud of

Old 02-25-2014, 03:49 PM

37,056 posts, read 42,015,227 times
There was a designated smoking area in the high schools I attended in CA back in the 70's to keep the bathrooms from being clogged.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,399,453 times
Good move, certainly doesn't hurt. But truth is that it likely won't change what's going on behind the scenes in dorm, frats, and other party venues. Those who want to live through some wild times in college will always find a way.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,300,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There was a designated smoking area in the high schools I attended in CA back in the 70's to keep the bathrooms from being clogged.
I'm older than you; went to HS in the late 60s. At that time, we were forbidden from smoking and would get in serious trouble if caught. A few years later, they had a designated smoking area. When I was in college, we could smoke anywhere we pleased, including in class. Some of the teachers/profs smoked in class as well. The colleges my kids went to (2002-2013, two kids through grad school) do not allow smoking in the dorms or anywhere inside. When my kids were undergrads (through 2009) smoking was allowed outside at all three of their colleges.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM

10,263 posts, read 13,778,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I remember students complaining about other students smoking outside at University of Texas at San Antonio. Even though they were several feet away from the buildings, students still had to walk through a cloud of smoke to get to those buildings.
They couldn't walk around it? It was pretty avoidable for all us nonsmokers at my school.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,005,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm not sure that is something to be proud of
Perhaps not. But it was definitely part of the college culture at the time.

You're right though. I was able to quit but a lot of people start smoking in college. Very bad thing.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM

5,509 posts, read 8,707,193 times
I can understand banning smoking indoors where it can annoy non-smokers. But outside, one should fee free to puff away --dumb though smoking is. Students have a reasonable right not to sit in a smoky classroom or dorm, or to not have to walk through a scrum of smokers by the doors to get into a building. But nothing, to my way of thinking, gives them the same right in open spaces. And as big a campus as Stanford is, there is loads of open space.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,186 posts, read 80,348,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I went to college in the 90s in Cali, and you couldn't buy cigarettes on campus. At that time, you could still smoke in shopping malls in some states.

I'm shocked Stanford has taken this long to implement that.

As for banning smoking on campus, I disagree. That was one of the things that defined college. Hanging out between classes and smoking cigarettes.

Of course, lots less people smoke these days.
I'm shocked too, even here in WA there are probably a dozen colleges with a 100% ban on tobacco product use. I would have expected Stanford to lead the parade on something like this.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,167,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I can understand banning smoking indoors where it can annoy non-smokers. But outside, one should fee free to puff away --dumb though smoking is. Students have a reasonable right not to sit in a smoky classroom or dorm, or to not have to walk through a scrum of smokers by the doors to get into a building. But nothing, to my way of thinking, gives them the same right in open spaces. And as big a campus as Stanford is, there is loads of open space.
Aside from being a nuisance, smoking in dorms is a potential fire hazard. I mean, most dorms don't even allow hot plates (unless times have changed).

Cigarette smoke can also travel a fair distance. It may not be blowing directly into someone's face but for those who do not smoke the smell of cigarette smoke is rather pungent and unpleasant. I would never tell someone not to smoke, though, even on a college campus.

One thing I remember from college was that the areas where students congregated to smoke cigs were also areas that could best be described as having cigarette butt lawns. It was not pleasant to look at. So many students, for what ever reason, felt the need to leave their butts on the ground instead of properly disposing them that the school actually considered outright banning smoking on campus because of the littering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities