Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Whereas "women's studies" as a discipline has earned its reputation because many such departments are themselves anti-intellectual, substituting the dogma of identity politics for academic scholarship.
I'm not familiar with any reputation IRT women's studies one way or another. Does the word only get out in humanities circles or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Ask Lawrence Summers, he can tell you all about it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM

9,415 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
why would she wait until now to think about this? Shouldn't she have thought about this before declaring the major?
No. See below re: harboring resentments and slights.
Some man should have told her that before all those hours listening to extremist rant.
Men!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, with a Women's Studies degree, you really get to hone your ability to resent others to a very fine point.

You'll gain an incredible ability to fume at even the most innocent jokes in the conference room.

What's more, you'll learn how to file a grievance letter with HR in 4.5 seconds.

As an added bonus, learn how to decorate your cubicle with photos of your five cats and little posters that read, "A Woman Has To Do Twice The Work As A Man To Be Considered As Good. Fortunately, That Is Not Difficult."

Learn how to select outre styles of attire that do not conform to the rest of the office, and then demand to know why you're not being invited into major client meetings.

Discover how to cultivate petty slights and nurture them into full-blown conspiracies against your gender.

Find out how to own your very own Feminist Bookstore. They're a lot less expensive to start up, mainly because you won't require a Humor section.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! Good points!

Now, where is the humor section?

Quote:
What you do with a women's studies degree is say "I have a degree and didn't have to work very hard at it except to make sure I accurately regurgitated the sociopolitical dogma that was belched at me."

If you get good grades, it will probably be sufficient to get you into a grad program; but by itself in the working world it won't exactly set you apart from everyone else who got a degree that they didn't have to work very hard at.
Wait, wait, you're starting to remind me of many of our Great National Leaders who granulated from haavahd and y-ale.
You're not saying some degrees aren't all they're cracked up to be are youse?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Ask Lawrence Summers, he can tell you all about it.
Why don't you tell me what you think Summers would say.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Wait, wait, you're starting to remind me of many of our Great National Leaders who granulated from haavahd and y-ale.
You're not saying some degrees aren't all they're cracked up to be are youse?
Just sayin' that it won't open any more doors than any other liberal arts degree. Today's liberal arts degree is yesterday's high school diploma: it just says "I can jump through X number of hoops" more than it prepares you for any specific field.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
BA in Women's studies is only useful if you're a guy. It's only useful if you could practice what you learn by finding & marrying a rich woman, and manipulating them, so that you don't have to work....

Other than that it's pretty useless....
Haha. You know, I was engaged in wymmnnz studiez for years, but I never matriculated.
How tragic, to think what I could have done with a degree...

Thank you for ruining my day!!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Why don't you tell me what you think Summers would say.
Why don't you acquaint yourself with Google.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Just sayin' that it won't open any more doors than any other liberal arts degree. Today's liberal arts degree is yesterday's high school diploma: it just says "I can jump through X number of hoops" more than it prepares you for any specific field.
As with all standards of performance, a bachelor's degree has been watered down considerably in the years since WWII, aka The Greatest War.

A high school grad in the 20s or 30s would run rings around a typical BA today regarding ability to think logically and independently, general fund of knowledge, and standars of courtesy and behavior.

One of the most interesting experiences I had in the eddymikayshin field was visiting an "olde colony schoole" years ago. The one room schoolhouse was truly a revelation.
One exercise I remember in particular. Four groups of kids were either reciting or singing four different verses/songs. They would cut in and out, and everyone had to keep their concentration together enough to stay on track and keep to their script. Most adults I know probably couldn't do this today.

They didn't kid around in the days before unions gained control and essentially destroyed education's mission in the USA.
Now you get PC rants in place of real knowledge. Progress.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Why don't you acquaint yourself with Google.
I am familiar with Summers comments. I am a woman. I am a scientist. I work in Cambridge. My co is in bed with MIT. I'm all too familiar with the hoopla resulting from his crap. I have not come across anything about women's studies IRT Summers assinine comments. I've had this conversation before with ill-prepared, lackluster, sexists. Again, the question is posed to you.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM

Ah, super. The dogmatic, combative rhetoric makes it clear why you're oblivious to the reputation that women's studies has garnered as an academic discipline.

I've had this conversation before with shrill harpies who would rather hurl invectives than even allow the mere mention -- not the support of, but mere mention -- of the hypothesis that men and women have different cognitive abilities. That is, when they're not abandoning their "strong woman" pose to turn their palm outward against their forehead and faint at the offront to their delicate sensibilities at having to hear such a hypothesis mentioned in their presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities