Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

So, I graduated with a BA in Phil about a year ago from a large state school (the major land grant one).
My cumulative GPA is around 3.0. It's complicated because I transferred from a cc about 1/3 of the way through. Anyway my GPA from that institution itself is 2.85 and from the place before around 3.2.

I have very little interest in academia and/or research....I just want a good professional level career in which I can put in my 40 hrs a week and draw a big enough salary to make me and my family comfortable. That's the truth...

I was thinking of maybe becoming a librarian. Or something like that. Maybe something in TV, writing. Or maybe making commercials. Something fun, low stress and maybe creative.

Also, I'm black which apparently (and unfairly, honestly) helps. I'm fom the 'third world' (dual citizen, grew up here and there). I'm also the first of four kids from a single mom. I'm also a high school drop out...and I have diagnosed 'mental issues'...I also have a business I run on the side....more as a hobby/ a way of teaching myself how the business world works. I can get letters of recommendation. I'm thinking my extra curriculars are fine.

I just want to put in 4-5 years of work so I can be begin my yuppy years and find a wife and make some babies.

Is all that doable? Or is my low GPA completely dooming?

Also, I want to move somewhere warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,911,390 times
Creative usually means you are in charge of selling your talents and this is not likely to be low stress.

Librarian is pretty much the opposite. Not sure what the career prospects are right now for librarians (it used to be a good, steady, but not very well-paying job, not sure about now).

Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 PM

874 posts, read 1,647,655 times
I know of several good, large university's in my state that require around 2.0-3.0, depending on the type of major you are.

Yes, it's possible, you can get into a college with your GPA.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:05 PM

n/a posts
After taking the GRES....how do I target my applications? I mean, should I bother applying to programs whose min GPA, as stated on their website, is above mine?

More specifically...UCLA's min ugpa is 3.0 for grad school. Is that something I can ignore? Or is it just wasting money applying?

Could someone in the know tell me how strict these things are?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:45 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,060,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I just want to put in 4-5 years of work so I can be begin my yuppy years and find a wife and make some babies.

Is all that doable? Or is my low GPA completely dooming?
The sad truth is that obtaining a college education is insufficient to obtain a solid middle class job today. The sad reality is that we have tons of college graduates, including college graduates with advanced degrees who all want the same thing you do, and a great many are unemployed or underemployed-involuntarily-out-of-field at low wages. The days of "purchasing" a job by simply obtaining a college degree are long over.

I think your best bet is to look for a job and obtain some real world work experience for several years.

You say you're interested in professional school. That tends to mean getting an MD (good luck with that) or a law degree (horrible, miserable field with huge amounts of unemployment and underemployment) or MBA (see law degree). The advanced degrees that are worthwhile tend to be in STEM fields such as Masters of Electrical Engineering or Masters in Computer Science.

It is not a warm-and-fuzzy, touchy-feely thought, but most Americans are going to have to get used to the idea that they are not special snowflakes and that their income may end up in the $25,000-$30,000/year range with little advancement potential, even with a college degree.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:14 PM

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

I think your best bet is to look for a job and obtain some real world work experience for several years.
Thanks but I didn't ask for that!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:17 PM

12,099 posts, read 23,250,034 times
You should be able to get into a graduate program. Since you don't appear to have much motivation, you may have problems maintaining a 3.0 in grad school because, in my experience, grad school is all about academia and research.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,382,937 times
if your degree allow you to be a librarian, then it one of those worthless liberal art degrees that doesn't pay good, social services, english literary, teacher. most places that requires advance degrees are universities and government, like ag agent. For the business world MBA, and they are dime a dozen.

advance degrees really don't pay that well, you got to have a specialize degree and work 80 hours a week

Old 03-05-2014, 07:05 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,492,423 times
So you want a professional job where you don't have to think, put in very many hours or work hard? And you want to draw a Yuppie salary on top of that? Best of luck with that, my friend. If you want a good career you will have to put in a lot of time and work. The good news is few emplopyers care about your major, school or GPA. The bad news is few employers care about your major, school or GPA, they care about what YOU can offer them, and it doesn't sound like you have much to offer right now. Of course you can play up your affirmative action status which is what it sounds like you plan on doing anyway. If you go down that path, I hope you know that everyone will know that you're a token and you will receive no respect from anyone.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:25 PM

n/a posts
lol

the whole aa thing needs to die, i agree.

it hurts me more than it helps me.

its like the world babys me.

it feels sorry but i don't need your pity.

because if the chips were down..

i'd hold my own against anyone.

but the fact is, you wouldn't want that.

survival of the fittest. in a vacuum, i am the strong.

the institution is in place to protect the weak.

nothing barred, and i'd ascend.

the system you so defend, you defend for a reason.

you need it. i don't.

i'd find a way in any situation.

yet i don't have to in this one. that's not my fault.

you lower the bar, and people coalesce around it.

you think you're helping us minorities.

but you're more hurting us.

i'm just nature. i am reflecting this society.

despise me, despise your own society.

don't care for your respect, though.

judge me how you wish...i bet you end up just as dead as i will.

in the mean time...take it easy brodah.

and answer my questions.

people get off on telling others off.

but, keep in mind, you don't know me.

you see a post and judge the person.

instead just keep to the topic??

Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2014 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities